Everything You Need to Know About The Power Read

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
Power
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/malzahn_power.png

Power Read
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/invertedveer.gif
OF
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4987c9TOCD8/VMhlTollIwI/AAAAAAAABqI/x1pCJbUkhmI/s1600/Slide1.JPG

Today we ran the ball 29 times by my count (I missed two plays, one was a run the other I don't know, because of the announcers talking putting up non-sense graphics on the screen). Here's the breakdown by play:

Zone-12
Power Read-9
OF-5
Power-2
Unknown run (Maria was calling the plays, so the camera was on her)-1

What's interesting is the increased use of power blocking schemes. Power, OF, and Power read are all simply slight variations of the exact same play. That means we ran 16 variations of power, while only running zone 12 times.

Reactions: 10 people
Here is a basic power play. The playside of the offensive line tries to build a wall and pin the entire defense to the inside, except for the play side defensive end.

From there the left guard pulls and leads up on the playside LB, the FB kicks the defensive end, and the RB reads his block.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.39.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.39.34 PM.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 783
Reactions: 5 people
Here is OF

OF is nearly identical to power. The only difference is that on OF the guard kicks the DE and the FB leads up on the LB.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.44.21 PM.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.44.21 PM.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 758
Reactions: 3 people
And this is Power Read:

The glaring difference here is that the TE/FB/Wingback/WTFE you want to call him is not a key part of the blocking scheme. Because we no longer need someone to block the playside defensive ends, since we will now read him with the QB.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.47.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2015-04-25 at 10.47.12 PM.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 753
The reason I picked this topic to right about, is because power read was almost never ran with Worley. It was something we only started using late in the season last year. The reason is because power read requires a more athletic QB than zone read does.

Here's our breakdown of power read vs. zone read with each QB:

Dobbs: 6 zone to 4 power

Dormady: 5 zone to 0 power

Jennings: 1 zone to 5 power

Notice our least athletic QB did not run power read one time (unless it was the play I missed when Maria was calling the defense, I know that play was a run play and I know Dormady was in).

Also note that our most athletic qb ran power read more than anything else.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not certain of the origins of power read, but I do know who made it popular. Power read exploded in the coaching community after Cam Newton and Auburn won their national championship.

What is the Inverted Veer / Dash Read? | Smart Football

Here's a good article on the subject. Although, they use the term inverted veer, it is the same thing. We are pulling the back side guard and reading the play side DE.

This is why I'm excited to see this scheme added, for the play action and RPO (run/pass option) plays that we can run off power action.

Here's a great article about two of the three best power action teams a from a few years back Baylor and Stanford, Auburn is the third. I'll add some examples of Marshall from Auburn throwing deep post routes for TDs off power action passes later.

“A very wise coach once told me, ‘If you really want play-action, you better pull a guard'” — Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III agree | Smart Football

I'll pick up where I left off with this tomorrow and go into detail on the play action and run/pass options (think of a zone read, except the option is to keep and pass; not keep and run) off this. We will look at Auburn's success using power action passes and look at some of the rpo's we ran off this concept last season.

Reactions: 1 person
Good stuff man.

We still need a deep threat at WR to make that PA rollout effective.

The power plays develop quicker and the trigger man needs quicker feet as a result of the crashing defender.

Great stuff...I said when Coach Jake left, that Butch watched Ohio State's spread execute the power run and told his right hand man "I want THAT...on our field...YESTERDAY!" Next thing you know, Jake is realizing his lifelong dream of coaching QBs in the NFL...never have said that Jake was pushed out, but power running isn't in his DNA IMO. He got out while the getting was good.

I love you. You're wonderful. You need a Play Guru tag or something.

Power
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/malzahn_power.png

Power Read
http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/invertedveer.gif
OF
Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4987c9TOCD8/VMhlTollIwI/AAAAAAAABqI/x1pCJbUkhmI/s1600/Slide1.JPG

Today we ran the ball 29 times by my count (I missed two plays, one was a run the other I don't know, because of the announcers talking putting up non-sense graphics on the screen). Here's the breakdown by play:

Zone-12
Power Read-9
OF-5
Power-2
Unknown run (Maria was calling the plays, so the camera was on her)-1

What's interesting is the increased use of power blocking schemes. Power, OF, and Power read are all simply slight variations of the exact same play. That means we ran 16 variations of power, while only running zone 12 times.

Too long, didn't power read

jk. really interesting stuff. thanks for the explanations

Reactions: 2 people
I thought we were done with the "read" discussion after all the talk at the first of last season

Interesting stuff. In the first few diagrams it looks like the middle linebacker goes unblocked. Are we hoping he just gets sealed off by the congestion formed from making the wall on the play side? Or will somebody scrape and pick him up? Also, in the power read, since there is no h back, does that diagram assume there is a olb aligned on a wide out? Only see the two backers in that diagram.

Are you a coach? Also wondering if we're going to be seeing any midline concepts

I am. I don't believe I've seen us use midline in the past (although at times it looked like we were reading everyone last year because noone was blocked). We didn't show it in the spring, and I've not seen use run it before.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. In the first few diagrams it looks like the middle linebacker goes unblocked. Are we hoping he just gets sealed off by the congestion formed from making the wall on the play side? Or will somebody scrape and pick him up? Also, in the power read, since there is no h back, does that diagram assume there is a olb aligned on a wide out? Only see the two backers in that diagram.

The guard will combo to the MLB. So he will double the Dt at first, and then work to the MLB.

There's a lot of options with the h back. We will get into those Wednesday with the rpos.I forgot about some things I had to do yesterday and today, so I'll pick back up on this tomorrow.

Tuesday: differences between power read and zone read
Wednesday: play action and rpo

I love that the shift may be to a more power run or just more runs in general. We have two great RBs and dobbs has some wheels as well. Thanks for the info OP

And this is Power Read:

The glaring difference here is that the TE/FB/Wingback/WTFE you want to call him is not a key part of the blocking scheme. Because we no longer need someone to block the playside defensive ends, since we will now read him with the QB.

This might be a stupid question, but why do the playside OT and OG double team the DT?

It seems like you could use the playside OT in a similar capacity as the Center and go one-on-one w/ the DT and shut him off from the play. That would free up the playside OG as an additional blocker that could pull maybe.

I don't know jack about plays/schemes, but it doesn't seem like the most efficient use of the linemen.

This might be a stupid question, but why do the playside OT and OG double team the DT?

It seems like you could use the playside OT in a similar capacity as the Center and go one-on-one w/ the DT and shut him off from the play. That would free up the playside OG as an additional blocker that could pull maybe.

I don't know jack about plays/schemes, but it doesn't seem like the most efficient use of the linemen.

The guy they are doubling (the 3 technique) is normally the other teams best linemen. I drew it up as a double, but the tackle will actually combo to the MLB. So he will help with the 3, but have his eyes on the lb. The goal is to creat movement at the line of scrimmage and widen the hole inside the DE if the qb keeps it.

But some team do pull 2 guards (buck sweep or pin and pull zone teams). My preference would be to run power because of the double team.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back