Tony Robinson

eVOLution

Heard Tony Robinson will be playing at the flag football game again this year. Wanted to repost this story from last spring.

Went to spring game with my son. Had a great time, He got to meet several VFL's, Peerless, Dante, Travis Stevens, etc, all were great but by far Tony Robinson was the best. My son did not know who he was I explained to him how great he was back in the day. He went down with several other kids and got his signature. Tony was very gracious. Signed several autographs and gave my son his wrist bands. While he was signing he said I want your all's autographs and jumped up on the wall and asked the kids to sign the back of his shirt....Well, after he won the MVP for the flag football game at halftime he came back to the kids and asked who signed his shirt first. A young boy spoke up and said I did, Tony said you were good luck I am going to give you my trophy. Needless to say the kid was blown away. Tony leaves and goes thru the tunnel then comes back in a few minutes appologizing that he cannot keep the trophy and Tony has to give it back to the school. Kid and his parents understand and hand back the trophy. Tony says he will think of something. Comes back out in a few minutes and give the kid his cleats from the game. You should have seen the smile on that kid's face, I think that had to be one of his best days ever at Neyland. He had them hanging around his neck walking out of the stadium. First thing my son wanted to do when we got home was see video of Tony playing. We found a few highlights but there are not many from the 80's on youtube....anyway, couldn't get over how great Tony was with all the kids, figured volnation needed to know

198.jpg

Reactions: 64 people
i thought so. why you gotta be a debbie downer?

I think he probably meant it was legitimately a cool sorry...bro. At least, I hope he did, because it was most definitely a very cool, personal interaction with a former player

Reactions: 6 people
Tony is back at UT finishing his degree. I see him pretty regularly and can say he is one of the most genuinely nice guys in the program

Reactions: 21 people
I remember this like it was yesterday, I was in Birmingham when Bama cheap shotted Tony into
a methodone clinic. There were so many fights at the Tide and Tiger after the game that the cops had
to set up a makeshift jail in an open field next door but we just kept escaping and going back to kick
more Bama a$$. Vols won that day and won the brawl after the game by a wide margin.

A few weeks later we're playing Ole Miss at home, we're winning and I'm sitting in MM and look down
and see Tony walking up the steps by Section R on two crutches. He was struggling. Pretty soon the
buzz went around the south end of the stadium and we all started cheering Tony, then this black lady
at the end of the aisle jumped up and threw her arms around his neck and just held him while we all
went berserk. Thinking about that now and have tears in my eyes, and there wasn't a dry eye in Neyland
that day.

Tony was a remarkable generational player. If you've never seen tape on the guy see if you can dig some
up, especially the 85' Auburn game. Definitely in our Top 2 all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
I remember this like it was yesterday, I was in Birmingham when Bama cheap shotted Tony
after the game. There were so many fights at the Tide and Tiger after the game that the cops had
to set up a makeshift jail in an open field next door but we just kept escaping and going back to kick
more Bama a$$. Vols won that day and won the brawl after the game by a wide margin.

A few weeks later we're playing Ole Miss at home, we're winning and I'm sitting in MM and look down
and see Tony walking up the steps by Section R on two crutches. He was struggling. Pretty soon the
buzz went around the south end of the stadium and we all started cheering Tony, then this black lady
at the end of the aisle jumped up and threw her arms around his neck and just held him while we all
went berserk. Thinking about that now and have tears in my eyes, and there wasn't a dry eye in Neyland
that day.

Tony was a remarkable generational player. If you've never seen tape on the guy see if you can dig some

The 85 auburn game......most of it is on youtube.....I remember sports illustrated came to Knoxville to use Bo as a cover and instead made Tony the cover of their mag.....I still have that issues put away.

Reactions: 8 people
The 85 auburn game......most of it is on youtube.....I remember sports illustrated came to Knoxville to use Bo as a cover and instead made Tony the cover of their mag.....I still have that issues put away.

I was in Z-12 (where my season tickets have been since 1975) that glorious day in '85 relishing the whooping our Vols put on Auburn and the great Bo Jackson. I sure wish I still had my SI issue covering that game with Tony on the cover. Damn, how I do.... Glad you still have yours.

Reactions: 1 person
1007_large.jpg

Reactions: 23 people
I was in Z-12 (where my season tickets have been since 1975) that glorious day in '85 relishing the whooping our Vols put on Auburn and the great Bo Jackson. I sure wish I still had my SI issue covering that game with Tony on the cover. Damn, how I do.... Glad you still have yours.

C-61. As great a performance as I've seen at Neyland Stadium. Tony Rob was just awesome. :clapping:

I remember this like it was yesterday, I was in Birmingham when Bama cheap shotted Tony into
a methodone clinic. There were so many fights at the Tide and Tiger after the game that the cops had

that day.

Awesome write up! Tony had one of the strongest arms I have ever seen. I was crushed when he got hurt.

Same here. I'll bet a lot of us still have a copy of that SI. Definitetly one of my all-time favorite Vol memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D39RbPv5Bpc

The '85 UCLA game. One of my favorite T-Rob plays was at the 1:50:50 mark. Instead of catching a batted pass behind the line of scrimmage for a loss, he forces the ball to the ground with two hands. Unfortunately in this game, we blow a 16-point 4th quarter lead with less than 4 mins left in the game and the game winds up a tie. Bradley Central's Chris White had 3 INTs.

same here....

The '85 team is still my all time favorite. As a 12 year old, I got several autographs from players that year including Tony Robinson, Keith Davis and Victor Peppers just by going down to the tunnel at the end of games and waiting for players coming through. Back then, anybody could go down there and wait and if you were patient and if we won and it wasn't a high profile game (such as Wake Forest) you had a good chance of getting some players to sign. That section wasn't used for official visitors back then and wasn't chair back either. All of the guys seemed so nice. I loved Tony Robinson. His arrest was a tough jolt.

Heard Tony Robinson will be playing at the flag football game again this year. Wanted to repost this story from last spring.

Went to spring game with my son. Had a great time, He got to meet several VFL's, Peerless, Dante, Travis Stevens, etc, all were great but by far Tony Robinson was the best. My son did not know who he was I explained to him how great he was back in the day. He went down with several other kids and got his signature. Tony was very gracious. Signed several autographs and gave my son his wrist bands. While he was signing he said I want your all's autographs and jumped up on the wall and asked the kids to sign the back of his shirt....Well, after he won the MVP for the flag football game at halftime he came back to the kids and asked who signed his shirt first. A young boy spoke up and said I did, Tony said you were good luck I am going to give you my trophy. Needless to say the kid was blown away. Tony leaves and goes thru the tunnel then comes back in a few minutes appologizing that he cannot keep the trophy and Tony has to give it back to the school. Kid and his parents understand and hand back the trophy. Tony says he will think of something. Comes back out in a few minutes and give the kid his cleats from the game. You should have seen the smile on that kid's face, I think that had to be one of his best days ever at Neyland. He had them hanging around his neck walking out of the stadium. First thing my son wanted to do when we got home was see video of Tony playing. We found a few highlights but there are not many from the 80's on youtube....anyway, couldn't get over how great Tony was with all the kids, figured volnation needed to know

View attachment 93057

IMHO he is the 3rd best QB to ever play at UT. To bad he got cheap shot by Alabubba. Well ahead of his time and One of my all time favorites!

1). Peyton Manning
2). Heath Shuler
3). Tony Robinson
4). Condridge Holloway

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Anybody else remember the strike game where Tony led a bunch of scabs over the Cowboys after many of them had crossed the picket line to play???

I only saw Tony Robinson one time. It was a boring rout of Memphis State. But, he could throw a deep sideline rout that Steve Spurrier would be proud of. My experience was that he had all the throws!!
:lolabove:

VN Store

Back