We're Talkin' About Practice Thread: 4/23

turambar85

I haven't seen a thread yet. Here are a few notes from RockyTopInsider:

First, more good news on the QB front. I don't care if we have true freshmen behind Dobbs, I think we are better off this year than we have been in recent years both in terms of depth and front-end talent. And it's good to see Jennings improving. The more time at QB he gets under his belt the more of a threat he will end up posing to Dormady and Jones. He is raw but has a ton of talent!

Joshua Dobbs continues to impress with his consistency and ball placement, while Quinten Dormady makes the difficult throws look effortless with his strong arm and smooth delivery. And while Jauan Jennings may not quite be on the level of either Dobbs or Jennings, he has improved a ton since spring practice began and – at least in the immediate future – should be considered as nothing other than a quarterback

Apparently Von is looking pretty good as a returner too. And contrary to that one ridiculous poster, he does not seem to run a 5.0+ 40!

Von Pearson drew some extremely high effort from Jones on his return with the second team, with Jones even going so far as to chase down Von and give him some dap after the play. Jones credited Von’s explosion and decision-making on the play after Pearson followed his blocker, picked his cut, and then exploded up the middle of the field to open grass. While Pearson – who muffed/fumbled his second rep – isn’t likely to take away the starting job at kick returns away from Evan Berry (who is still very fast, by the way), Von looks much faster than he did at any point last year and should be considered a more-than-worthy number two option should the Vols need him.

Reactions: 13 people
Practice? We talkin' bout practice?
9908cb640cf00bd6689bd2aee22f0a9d.768x506x1.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
These practice updates and reports are nothing but word form of hype videos. It all seemed great during spring of the Dooley years to. We will be improved but lets keep level heads and let these "expectations" happened when they happen. We got a long way to go just like every other team and we wont know jack until it gets strapped up for real.

Reactions: 1 person

Rucker's fast five
1. No pads and no hitting today
2. Charles Moseley worked with the offense again; but stood out because he wore orange while the rest of the offense wore white.
3. McNeil wasn't wearing a jersey and was limping.
4. Pearson got some reps at kick returner until the third attempt when he dropped one.
5. TURN THAT PAGE. Jones never goes into any practice without a simple, repeatable catch phrase, and Thursday’s was evident. He kept telling his players to start setting the tone for preseason camp — when things should be much more fiercely competitive than they’ve been this spring, thanks to the number of bodies they’ll have at their disposal. That’s clearly been an issue this spring at times, but it shouldn’t be a problem in preseason camp. And Jones kept reminding his players to put good habits on film heading into summer workouts and then preseason camp.

Cory Gunkel: Charles Mosley practiced exclusively with the O-line again today. He looked more comfortable and got plenty of reps.

-- Many of the injured players appear to be making progress. Wide receiver Jason Croom, who tore an ACL late last season, jogged around the field Tuesday without much discomfort.

-- The usual suspects in green no-contact jerseys were still in green. That includes tailback Jalen Hurd, wide receivers Marquez North and Alton “Pig” Howard and defensive back Devaun Swafford.
Dustin Dopriak

Cory Gunkel: Linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen said the most improved LB is Colton Jumper. Said he's proven he deserves to be at this level with his spring

Rucker: Big John Henderson was at #Vols practice today with a boot on his right foot. I still wouldn’t fight him. Not even for a lot of money.

While Dillon Bates returned after a class obligation earlier this week, Todd Kelly Jr. again has a demanding academic obligation on Thursday afternoons. Jones challenged sophomore wideout Josh Malone, cautioning Malone that "Slow speed Malone Train plays slow."

Pass game coordinator Zach Azzanni basically engineered the Vols' passing skeleton and route drills, barking plays and instruction while both Jones and offensive coordinator Mike DeBord looked on. Both Malone and Marquez North struggled some early, as did Von Pearson in terms of drops.
VQ

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnmafocfpU[/youtube]

Patrick Brown: Now sure how much PT Evan Berry will get at safety, but he's still returning kicks and really could be a nice weapon there for Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
These practice updates and reports are nothing but word form of hype videos. It all seemed great during spring of the Dooley years to. We will be improved but lets keep level heads and let these "expectations" happened when they happen. We got a long way to go just like every other team and we wont know jack until it gets strapped up for real.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. :huh:

Reactions: 5 people
MS State and Ole Miss fans down here are coming to the notion that the Vols will be much improved this year. The few Gator and the Bama fans I work with refuse to accept it. They are all newer fans and still don't comprehend that the Vols used to be a dominant team I'm the SEC. They think that we will always be mediocre. Can't wait for football season!

Reactions: 2 people
Croom tore his ACL? I knew that he had a knee injury but never heard it was that severe. I can't find anything saying he underwent surgery for an ACL tear. Has this been reported earlier? Maybe I'm just out of the loop

Croom tore his ACL? I knew that he had a knee injury but never heard it was that severe. I can't find anything saying he underwent surgery for an ACL tear. Has this been reported earlier? Maybe I'm just out of the loop

wondering the same thing

No. That's incorrect information.

MS State and Ole Miss fans down here are coming to the notion that the Vols will be much improved this year. The few Gator and the Bama fans I work with refuse to accept it. They are all newer fans and still don't comprehend that the Vols used to be a dominant team I'm the SEC. They think that we will always be mediocre. Can't wait for football season!

They'll accept it when we whip that crimson booty!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back