Realistically, who thinks we will be pre-season Top 25?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I want to believe, I really do. The hype around Tennessee is through the roof right now, and a lot of early polls have us pre-season ranked.

Personally, I don't see it. I have a hard time with the idea that a 7-6 team with no wins over a ranked program in 2014 will be ranked. I know they don't base it off the previous season, but I would really like some insight regarding why so many "experts" have us ranked.

Thoughts?

I could see 20-25 with all the hype surrounding us this offseason, however, I won't be disappointed if we're not. We need to earn it, and I don't know if the Taxslayer Bowl is good enough.

Reactions: 5 people
I think we'll be just outside the top 25 at the beginning of the season.

Honestly I don't think we deserve to be top 25 until we beat a few teams IN the top 25.

We wont be top 25 to start. String together a few wins to start the season and we'll make it in. Beating OU would really bolster our case.

I want to believe, I really do. The hype around Tennessee is through the roof right now, and a lot of early polls have us pre-season ranked.

Personally, I don't see it. I have a hard time with the idea that a 7-6 team with no wins over a ranked program in 2014 will be ranked. I know they don't base it off the previous season, but I would really like some insight regarding why so many "experts" have us ranked.

Thoughts?

I think we'll be just outside the top 25 at the beginning of the season.

Honestly I don't think we deserve to be top 25 until we beat a few teams IN the top 25.

Pre-season polls are about predicting future results, not looking in a rearview mirror at past results. So that whole "we don't deserve it until..." argument is invalid.

Instead, look at the team as it exists today--player talent level, coaching ability, teamwork, discipline, and so on and on. Compare that to the opponents on that team's upcoming schedule. And then compare the expected results of that schedule against the results of other schools expected to make the Top 25.

That's how you come up with a pre-season ranking.

I think the Vols will start the season in the 18-24 range of the two major polls. And will be significantly higher than that in both by the end of the year.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 10 people
Confusing apples and oranges. When it comes to polls, it doesn't matter how you start, only how you finish. When it comes to playing the games, each game is (very roughly) equally important in compiling your final standings. So both starting well and finishing well are important.

You guys seem to be confusing these two very different things with each other. KB started it; probably on purpose. I blame him. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That case seems like an exception, not the norm. There will always be outliers.

The point is, it matters that you be consistent throughout the year. You can finish great, maybe win 4 or 5 in a row to close out the year. But if you have a rough start, say drop 2 or 3 early games, you're pretty much out of contention for a conference championship. I understand the thought behind the saying, I'd rather finish the year strong than not....but these days, if you're not consistently good from game 1, you're not gonna have a championship run.

The 1988 team started 0-6....after that, it didn't matter how they finished.

It actually kind of did matter. Because they finished with 5 straight wins. That was huge for going in to 1989 where they finished 11-1.

I do remember the guy who wouldn't come down from the billboard until they won that year. I guess it mattered to him how they finished. Ha!

We are already 1-0 in 2015. A dominating win on a neutral field over a B10 bowl team.

We didn't lose much personnel-wise, but we certainly added quality talent (albeit young) at nearly all positions. It's a good bet that we have more returning starters than any of teams destined to be ranked.

And we arguably have the top QB in the SEC and one of the best nationally...a prerequisite for any ranked team.

So why not us? Besides, major turnarounds are pretty common these days...Auburn and Ole Miss come immediately to mind.

Thoughts?

They take in all kinds of reasons for pre-season polls. They don't just look at last year's record, but they look at the potential for the upcoming year. Tennessee finished out the year strong and beat a decent Iowa team to a pulp in their first bowl game since 2009. Don't forget, we brought in a top 5 class this year.

It actually kind of did matter. Because they finished with 5 straight wins. That was huge for going in to 1989 where they finished 11-1.

I do remember the guy who wouldn't come down from the billboard until they won that year. I guess it mattered to him how they finished. Ha!

The point is, the season was lost with the 0-6 start. I understand the idea of generating momentum for the following year with a strong finish. However, I can argue just as strongly that each season is its own and has little effect on what happens the following year. For example, in 1987 Tennessee was 10-2-1, won their last 5 games, including a bowl game win....but started 1988 0-6.

Reactions: 1 person
The point is, the season was lost with the 0-6 start. I understand the idea of generating momentum for the following year with a strong finish. However, I can argue just as strongly that each season is its own and has little effect on what happens the following year. For example, in 1987 Tennessee was 10-2-1, won their last 5 games, including a bowl game win....but started 1988 0-6.

Yeah, you're right. I lost track of what the original subject matter was for a moment. I get excited about mid to late 80's UT football. Those are my earliest memories of watching and listening to them.

We will be ranked between 20 and 25 at the start of the season, the so called experts are looking at the talent we got plus how weak the East is and, are ranking us on talent, if the OL holds up we will win 9 or 10 games and be a major player for the East title, by the end of the season we will be ranked 10 to 15 when we win our bowl game and if you think there is hype this season, just wait this time next year preseason top 10 and playing for a playoff spot just sit back pop a top and enjoy the ride we TENNESSEE are back and we will be a elite team for years to come, just pop a top and enjoy that BIG ORANGE FREIGHT TRAIN THATS COMING on fall afternoons and nights for the next 10 years or more.:pepper:

VN Store

Back