Three biggest games of 2015

I disagree with #3. I think Missouri is the 3rd. They have been the worst possible candidate to represent the SEC East. No history and an underwhelmingly average team that somehow gets to the top. And they have made us look REALLY bad both years. We MUST show a huge improvement against them to indicate we are truly on the way back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I disagree with #3. I think Missouri is the 3rd. That has been the worst possible candidate to represent the SEC East. No history and an underwhelmingly average team that someone gets to the top. And they have made us look REALLY bad both years. We MUST show a huge improvement against them to indicate we are truly on the way back.

Yep, something like UT 45 - mizzou- 0 .

Reactions: 1 person
Most are already declaring victory in games 1 and 3, but the 1st 3 games are all big. A 3-0 record will raise eyebrows and create momentum that has been lacking for years. GO BIG ORANGE!

Hmm, don't really like this article much. It gives no clarity, not even an adequate explanation of why those three games are "biggest." Here are some of the approaches the writer could've taken that would've made his article more coherent:

BIGGEST = Toughest : Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. The first two because of the clear talent level, continuity of coaching staff, maturity of the program, and so on. The third because of the streak. BTW, I don't think that streak means much to Team 119 ... they're new enough that they have no mental block (including the coaching staff). But it sure means a lot to the fan base.

BIGGEST = Keys to an Inspirational Season: Oklahoma, Florida, and Arkansas. Oklahoma is the bellweather game of 2015 for the Vols. Very early in the season, and the first game against a Power 5 team ... one that beat Tennessee a year ago. Lose it, and the season starts to fold (see Florida next); win it, and the squad gains a huge burst of confidence that will carry forward into late September and the month of October. If it's possible to have two bellweather games, Florida is the second. Not only would breaking the streak mean a huge amount for VolNation, but this is also the first SEC game (and the first SEC East game). Like setting up future shots in pool, this game sets up the October run for success, if it's a W. Finally, Arkansas -- because it's time to break the SEC-West's hold over the East, and Tennessee is the team to lead the charge. Going at least 1-1 against the West in the regular season will reverse a trend that has now been running several years. Plus, if Tennessee beats its SEC-W "twin" (the other hot up-n-coming program), that's a launching platform for future dominance.

BIGGEST = Win the SEC-East: Florida, Georgia, and Mizzou. I have to believe this is perhaps what the writer meant by "biggest" ... because all three of the teams he listed are SEC-E opponents. But even with this, he didn't get it right. As others have already pointed out in this thread, Mizzou is the third one that belongs on this list, along with Georgia and Florida. South Carolina is a potential trap game, true, Spurrier should never be taken for granted ... but USCe is not one of the keys to winning the East in 2015.

So anyway, I appreciate what the writer tried to do, but I wish he'd clearly taken an angle and pursued it.

Last edited:
Arkansas, OU, and Mizzou are all candidates for #3 IMO.

All 3 would be big wins for UT next season.

#3 should be Arkansas. Arkansas is the new SEC West's darling, and for good reason, but a win against them would be an early indicator that Tennessee is the true "trending up" team.

You beat me to it. No matter where we are on the schedule, the three biggest games are the next three.

Alabama, Florida, and Georgia will always be the 3 biggest games to me. It doesn't matter how good or bad UT is that year, these are the 3 games I look forward to every season. I could see how it could be different in some people's eye's, but for this Vol fan those are the 3 biggie's.

Big 3 in my view:

OK- This is the litmus test for TN. I have seen a lot of people just chalking this one up. Big Game Bob will have this team hitting on all cylinders. Lincoln Riley will have that offense humming also.
GA- Close to us in talent, but the running game may be the difference for them.
FLA- Lose to them and all the wind goes out of the sails.

My 2 cents

My gut tells me that the Oklahoma, Arky and Georgia stretch is the big three! Beat Okie and Arky then Georgia is the main game of that Saturday nationally. Win all three then we start hoping for the pigskin to start bouncing our way! :clapping: GBO!

I agree with the writer besides of one game. I would trade South Carolina for Mizzou simply because we've yet to beat them since they've joined the SEC.

Beating OU would do wonders in giving us a ton of confidence going into SEC play, but ultimately in the grand scheme of things, this game isn't all that important since it's not an SEC game. This is just a measuring stick to help gauge where were at as a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
.........EVERY SEC GAME IS EQUALLY IMPORTANT AS THE NEXT.........MUST WIN THEM ALL!!!.......you might get away with one loss.....but if that loss is in the east it really cuts our chances of getting to the big show in ATL.....i think were better than FL. GA. SC. and MIZZOU...this yr and thoes teams will serve eachother losses and the vols dont need to be any part of that...and as far as a trap game....thats garbage we lose to UK were not where we think we are.... u could still get by with a loss to BAMA or ARK....cause the west will get wins over the east as long as we make it to ATL and win that game and a good bowl game on new years i think ALL of tennessees fan base will finally get what they want......and then 2016........MAYBE A 1998 TYPE SEASON

VN Store

Back