Tuttle is typical freshman, 'with talent'

kamoshika

There have been times during Tennessee's spring practices the past four weeks in which Shy Tuttle looked very much like your typical freshman defensive tackle.

Other times have given the touted freshman's coaches and teammates reason to think he could be more.

In all likelihood, the number of plays this spring where Tuttle either played too high or let fatigue get to him have outnumbered the times he's disrupted a running play, pushed the pocket or batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage.

That only makes him a typical first-year defensive-line player.

"He's that, with talent," Steve Stripling, the Volunteers' veteran defensive line coach, said earlier this month. "I think size-wise and quickness-wise and all those things, he's on track to have a really good career."

UT Vols' Tuttle is typical freshman, 'with talent' | Local News | Times Free Press

Reactions: 4 people
The defense Tennessee is putting together may actually be more fun to watch than the offense. Don't you think?

Reactions: 11 people
The defense Tennessee is putting together may actually be more fun to watch than the offense. Don't you think?

Its gonna be interesting. I honestly think opposing defenses will have trouble stopping Dobbs, Hurd, and Karmara. On the other side, what are offenses gonna do with our defensive guys? It may take a few games, but when these young guts get to rocking, they're gonna be special.

Reactions: 5 people
I think people just don't understand how difficult it is for even the most talented freshmen to come in and compete.. The difference between an 18 year old and a 22 or 23 year old who has 4 years in a training room, practices, and 100s of snaps behind him is huge.. Peyton Manning who may have been the most mentally prepared freshman I have ever seen, struggled his freshman year.. Hope Tuttle, Mckenzie, and others can come in and play in situations that are perfect for them and not have to be relied on down after down..

Reactions: 8 people
I think people just don't understand how difficult it is for even the most talented freshmen to come in and compete.. The difference between an 18 year old and a 22 or 23 year old who has 4 years in a training room, practices, and 100s of snaps behind him is huge.. Peyton Manning who may have been the most mentally prepared freshman I have ever seen, struggled his freshman year.. Hope Tuttle, Mckenzie, and others can come in and play in situations that are perfect for them and not have to be relied on down after down..

This is true, cleats. And the DL is a hard place for a FR to make a true impact. Especially when you consider:

Vandy: Returning 4 OL starters (not like it matters)
Kentucky: Returning 4 OL starters
Missouri: Returning 4 OL starters
Arkansas: Returning 4 OL starters
Georgia: Returning 4 OL starters
USC: Returning 3 OL Starters

I mean, they're going to be facing some really experienced SEC upperclassmen, so it's realistic.

Of course, the good news is:

Oklahoma: Returning 2 OL starters
Alabama: Returning 2 OL starters
Florida: Returning 1 OL starter

So, the three games that would be HUGE momentum swingers for us, they're going to be fresh offensive lines that are not as experienced, especially good since Florida and Oklahoma are early on in the season.

But it is true, it is hard for a FR to make THAT big of an impact in this conference. But...look at Myles Garrett. Look at Derek Barnett. NOBODY predicted Barnett to play how he did, and he wasn't even an EE. So, DL is possible for a freshman to make an impact.

Oh, and in other news?

For those of you concerned about our OL? Obviously, concern is merited, BUT, just from an "experience" standpoint:

We return 4 starters, BUT...

Oklahoma returns 1 DL starter
Florida 2 DL starters
Georgia returns ZERO DL starters
Missouri returns 1 DL starter
Kentucky returns 1 DL starter
Arkansas returns 2 DL starter
Vandy returns 2 DL starter

No team on our schedule that is a Power 5 team returns more than 3 starters on the DL. So, therefore, our OL SHOULD have an experience advantage. Hopefully with the addition of Debord, and the fact that we now have a mobile QB that doesn't allow for stacking the box, our OL will have significant improvement.

I think it matters, because Butch said all of this year that we had 0 returning starters on the OL and DL. This year, we're bringing back 4 and 3 respectively. So, the experience will be there.

Reactions: 19 people
I think defense is ALWAYS more fun to watch than offense

2 things:

1) Did you watch UT football the year Sal Sunseri was DC? That was in no way, shape or form fun to watch.

2) I personally enjoy a good, creative, and fast paced offense. I love watching a fundamentally sound, tough, hard hitting defense, but I do enjoy watching a team like Oregon do their thing, or even Ohio State, and what they did this year in the playoffs. I enjoy when an offense can just impose their will on a Defense. When you're able to do that, I have a heck of a lot of fun watching that.

I can appreciate a great defense, but like the saying goes...offense sells tickets.

Reactions: 2 people
I like our DL in 2015.

O'Brien and Williams will be solid starters. Vickers and Tuttle or McKenzie will be solid backups. Mosley will also provide depth, as will Saulsberry if he can get healthy enough to play.

Much better rotation there than last year when it was basically O'Brien, J. Williams, and Saulsberry.

Mr Barnett disagrees with you!!...He also shows i believe that the gap between high school and collage is closing at least somewhat. Every year now top tier true freshman are making a difference. While still not often. I think we have a chance to have a few more make large contributions this yr!

I think with the coaching provided he will become great. All too often kids don't get the coaching they need to be great.

Coaching makes low stars big stars or big stars no stars.

Reactions: 1 person
Mr Barnett disagrees with you!!...He also shows i believe that the gap between high school and collage is closing at least somewhat. Every year now top tier true freshman are making a difference. While still not often. I think we have a chance to have a few more make large contributions this yr!

not just Barnett. true freshmen come in and dominate EVERY YEAR in the SEC. we've just not been used to it lately because we haven't been getting consensus top 5 recruiting classes.

I expect Kahlil, Kyle, Tuttle, and Richmond to be instant impact players. At least 2 of those guys should be as good as Barnett and Jalen were for us last year. Thats what you typically get when you recruit 5* studs.

Reactions: 3 people
I like our DL in 2015.

O'Brien and Williams will be solid starters. Vickers and Tuttle or McKenzie will be solid backups. Mosley will also provide depth, as will Saulsberry if he can get healthy enough to play.

Much better rotation there than last year when it was basically O'Brien, J. Williams, and Saulsberry.
No they won't. Lack of size last year was a MAJOR concern for Janzek and Stripling and they vocalized it repeatedly. Because we now have size....young or not...they are going to get the starts. Seniority isn't going to win the day, here. Size and considerably more talent will.

I expect Mosley to also be a major contributor, especially on short yardage situations. Mosley just cannot be moved. Williams and Obrien can.

I like our DL in 2015.

I really like Williams, he showed some flashes last year, however, I wouldn't be that shocked if McKenize was starting. It might take a few games, but McKenzie is just...ready.

Reminiscing about the days with BIG John Henderson & Albert Haynesworth patrolling the middle of the Tennessee defensive line. :)

He and McKenzie are going to be great but this highlights why we shouldn't expect too much in their first year. I think both will be impact players but to expect them to consistently dominate older, more seasoned OLs is unrealistic. My hope is that they plug in the rotation and produce results

This is true, cleats. And the DL is a hard place for a FR to make a true impact. Especially when you consider:

Vandy: Returning 4 OL starters (not like it matters)
Kentucky: Returning 4 OL starters
Missouri: Returning 4 OL starters
Arkansas: Returning 4 OL starters
Georgia: Returning 4 OL starters
USC: Returning 3 OL Starters

I mean, they're going to be facing some really experienced SEC upperclassmen, so it's realistic.

Of course, the good news is:

Oklahoma: Returning 2 OL starters
Alabama: Returning 2 OL starters
Florida: Returning 1 OL starter

So, the three games that would be HUGE momentum swingers for us, they're going to be fresh offensive lines that are not as experienced, especially good since Florida and Oklahoma are early on in the season.

But it is true, it is hard for a FR to make THAT big of an impact in this conference. But...look at Myles Garrett. Look at Derek Barnett. NOBODY predicted Barnett to play how he did, and he wasn't even an EE. So, DL is possible for a freshman to make an impact.

Oh, and in other news?

For those of you concerned about our OL? Obviously, concern is merited, BUT, just from an "experience" standpoint:

We return 4 starters, BUT...

Oklahoma returns 1 DL starter
Florida 2 DL starters
Georgia returns ZERO DL starters
Missouri returns 1 DL starter
Kentucky returns 1 DL starter
Arkansas returns 2 DL starter
Vandy returns 2 DL starter

No team on our schedule that is a Power 5 team returns more than 3 starters on the DL. So, therefore, our OL SHOULD have an experience advantage. Hopefully with the addition of Debord, and the fact that we now have a mobile QB that doesn't allow for stacking the box, our OL will have significant improvement.

I think it matters, because Butch said all of this year that we had 0 returning starters on the OL and DL. This year, we're bringing back 4 and 3 respectively. So, the experience will be there.

Excellent post & thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

We haven't signed a DT as talented as Tuttle or KM since Haynesworth and as a result Volnation has become acustomed to waiting 2-3 years before they are ready to compete in the SEC. Both these guys will be solid members of the DT rotation. Personally, I think KM is the closest thing we've seen to "can't miss" at any position in a really long time and I expect him to command a starting position from game 1. The staff may prefer to reward the upper classmen with the start but I'd bet KM is considered the best DT on the team by midseason.

The great thing is we lucked out in 2014 in that none of the 3 DT's went down with injury. By all appearances we now have 5 solid DT's to rotate so an injury is now more manageable. Hopefully by dividing the load to 5 instead of 3 then they will all play fresher as the result.

Let's not forget how talented McKenzie is. If he comes in in great shape then he plays probably 40 snaps a game. If football rules were the same as basketball rules then he could be a rare one and done type of player. He will command a lot of double teams if he can keep his pad level right because he is as strong as a lot of college seniors. He already squats over 600 pounds.

Tuttle will play too. He will get in better shape over the summer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get at least 10 snaps per game early on....maybe more. He is very talented.

Just adding this years true freshmen to our D line rotation, better talent, more time for a breather and added competition will get us at least 2 more regular season Wins over last year.

2 more Wins just because our D line rotation will be that much better and it won't take long before they're known as the D line Dominators!

By midseason these true freshmen will really know what they're doing and will hit their stride and keep on pushing.

This is really going to be fun to watch!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

We haven't signed a DT as talented as Tuttle or KM since Haynesworth and as a result Volnation has become acustomed to waiting 2-3 years before they are ready to compete in the SEC. Both these guys will be solid members of the DT rotation. Personally, I think KM is the closest thing we've seen to "can't miss" at any position in a really long time and I expect him to command a starting position from game 1. The staff may prefer to reward the upper classmen with the start but I'd bet KM is considered the best DT on the team by midseason.

The great thing is we lucked out in 2014 in that none of the 3 DT's went down with injury. By all appearances we now have 5 solid DT's to rotate so an injury is now more manageable. Hopefully by dividing the load to 5 instead of 3 then they will all play fresher as the result.

It's funny when I see others downplay the talent that is Kahlil McKenzie. Not only was he the best DT in high scool last year, but is one of the most impressive to come out in the past 10 years.

Don't expect him or Tuttle to contribute much??? Seriously lol?

But hes a freshman!!...yeah that benches 460lbs and squats over 600.

No... i fully expect a D Barnett type impact from KMac. Tuttle even though he got here earlier isn't kmac. But hes not far off, and will get PLENTY of playing time his freshman year as well.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back