An Achilles heel...

tennesseecoyote

Hey not to be a nega-Vol, but with everybody giving us the SEC east and a spot in Atlanta, I have some reservations I would like to share. First, can the offensive line prove something to make me believe that they can really click and that last year was just Freshmenitis?

And second, and the point of this post. Is that none of our QBs the last few years (even Dobbs) have been able to hit the broad side of a barn with intermediate throws. I know Dobbs is smart and knows the playbook. I also know he runs like a deer. But it won't matter much if he can't hit a wide open Tight End across the middle.

My question is how can a QB improve accuracy? It seems like it would be fairly simple to teach a QB to hit a running WR on a 15 yard post route, but I guess I'm wrong, because those QBs who struggle with accuracy as Freshman seem to continue through out their careers.

Any of you coaches (or wanna be coaches) out there can tell me how Dobbs can learn to throw a 18 yard out pass and hit a guy in the numbers and not the stands.
Or is this skill simply not possible to teach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
To answer one of your questions, confidence. Confidence can greatly improve accuracy from a quarterback. I believe Dobbs will find his confidence this year because he's the outright starter. He knows he's the starter until someone beats him out of it.

Reactions: 7 people
First and foremost, you have to get a qb coach that hasn't coached qbs in 20 years.... Kidding, kidding

You can teach accuracy to some qbs, but you also play to their strengths. Joe Montana didn't make a living on the 20 yard out. About 20 qbs in the NFL had better arm strength in a given season.

It's amazing what can be done with solid coaching on the principals of footwork, mechanics and timing. See Eric Ainge pre and post David Cutcliffe. The intermediate stuff if often the last piece to click for young qbs because of the timing and rhythm issues. Going thru a full camp and a full season with the same corps of receivers will also help.

Reactions: 6 people
Practice can improve accuracy. A pitcher growing up through high school and college gets better and better at hitting his spots. A basketball player gets better and better at making shots with practice.

It's partially muscle memory and partially just getting the feel. Also, familiarity with your receivers and knowing where they're gonna be and how they're gonna react or move helps as well.

Reactions: 4 people
Confidence that they won't end up in the dirt every time they drop back would help greatly. Not to mention timing, when you have DLine in your face every single time you throw the ball you can't get timing set properly.

Reactions: 8 people
I'll bite, OP..

To your first comment, I agree that the OL continues to be the biggest question mark and could very well be our "Achilles heel" this season. I agree that they have a lot to prove; however, it did seem to me (especially judging by the bowl game) that they have definitely improved and they have the potential to be a decent group. I don't think anyone expects them to be world-beaters, but they'll have about 65 combined starts to start the season, which is about 60 more than they had at the beginning of last year.

RE: QB accuracy - I'm not a coach and don't claim to be a QB expert. That said, I agree that Dobbs has had accuracy issues from time to time, but I don't think it's as bad as you're implying. He had a number of nice throws in all the games he played in last year, and judging by the "eye test", he looked significantly better than his FR season. The noticeable improvement from year 1 to year 2 tells me that he has plenty of room to continue to hone his craft and work on mechanics etc. I've read articles talking about how DeBord is really pushing him as far as fundamentals, mechanics etc.

Also, stats don't lie.. Comparing passing numbers from 2013 and 2014, it's clear that there was marked improvement: Joshua Dobbs Bio - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Another thing to note.. I remember watching Dobbs and Peterman in practice videos last year, and I remember several highlight pieces that were REALLY fugly (throwing against air, no defenders).

I haven't watched a ton of videos from spring highlights, but from what I have seen, his throws look crisp and mostly on target.

Just my 2 cents..

Reactions: 9 people
An entire doing and fall of first team reps. Dobbs wasn't even getting 2nd teams reps for awhile last season.

Reactions: 3 people
To answer one of your questions, confidence. Confidence can greatly improve accuracy from a quarterback. I believe Dobbs will find his confidence this year because he's the outright starter. He knows he's the starter until someone beats him out of it.

I think to add to this is CBJ preaches so hard on bad things can happen on passes that young QB are so hesitate with that throw cause it's the one that gets picked off the most!! That's where maturity and confidence comes with getting better on these!! I think Dobbs will be much better with handling this this year!! IMO most of his passes were high which means nerves or forgetting technique or both!!!

I've read Dobbs has gotten better with accuracy this spring.

One thing that will help Dobbs tremendously is being the clear starter. He will take all the reps with the first string WRs and build a rapport with them. He will know what they are going to do before they do it and that will improve his completion percentage on passes down the field and past the LOS. He has never had this opportunity before.

Reactions: 2 people
Be aware that what you see in media glimpses of practices is not the whole story. We seldom know what the coaches are working on during the video we see.

Last year, a bunch of people went nuts here because "Worley threw behind every receiver during passing drills". The next day Jones mentioned in passing that the QB's had been working on back shoulder throws during that drill.

AND to play off of Phil's comparison to pitching just a little bit.... I have known pitchers that flat out could not hit the strike zone without a batter. Give them a batter as a reference point and all of a sudden they became a spot pitcher. At a minimum, Dobbs seems to be like that. He's more accurate with defenders than without them.

Reactions: 1 person
It is a safe assumption that progress has and will continue to be made and it will not be fast enough for many here who will instantaneously have a psychological meltdown when it becomes apparent that "Freshmenitis" is now "Sophomoritis.":)

I agree tennesseecoyote. Dobbs didn't look good last year on the simplest passes. Can we win with a quarterback that can't hit the open man then run for gazillion yards. That's the question. Personally I think that Dobbs was limited by injured receivers late in the year and this spring as well. Hopefully this summer they can work it out! GBO! :lolabove:

Accuracy has many multipliers to it,
1st Time to make the read and pass the football.
2nd Receivers to run the correct routes.
3rd Receivers to beat the CB to the spot.
4th Receivers to catch the ball.
5th Dobbs to have the confidence in the receiver.

As you can see its not all on Dobbs plate, he has been plague by injuries of the receiver group. Depth is so needed in that room because they run so many miles during the game, to keep from being injured at the end of the year.

Returning: everyone
Incoming: more speed and talent
The East last year:
- Georgia: lost by 3 last year
- Missouri: lost by a score
- Florida: I don't want to remember
- USC: bwahahahaha
- There are two more teams but I can't remember their names

I'm not saying we're ATL bound but it's not ridiculous. It's not even really that far-fetched.

Believe it or not Coaching and improving Technique make a difference.

As does Strength and Agility training.

As does Maturity and Learning Offense.

As does having the same WRs for several years to Learn each others tendencies.

As does having healthy WRs all season (fingers crossed).

As does having more Time in the pocket to pass/less Sacks which I expect to improve this year.

As does taking snaps with the 1's for all training camps.

Okay, I scrolled down without looking at a single reply. I must agree with Coyote, it seems we have the athletes to throw the ball to but it seems we can't get past a nine yard toss. I know injuries and how Dobbs came into the position all has a factor but..... (h^ll, I am not for sure what to say now) for some reason we can't complete any slightly deep passes. Is it the QB'S fault, or is it the fact that our WR's can't escape the defense? I am not one for throwing a Bomb every 5th play but lets be real, if they feel that threat they stand on their heels a bit...... yes, I am an "armchair coach" just voicing my opinion as Coyote did, to me what he said makes sense. Now, someone with much wisdom please come in and correct my doubt.

Go Vols! (Run it down their throat if we have to, just as long as we win):rock::dance2::pepper:

Last edited:
I'm not terribly worried about Dobbs' accuracy on short to mid-range passes. He and the receivers absolutely need to start connecting deep for the offense to really reach its potential, though.

VN Store

Back