2015 and beyond

ice

Pro 2A - GOA & NRA member
Our team has made obvious improvements under Butch Jones.
Things are starting to come together.
Quarterback, running backs, improved OL, etc..

During our down years, there are two things that stood out where we were deficient, and it cost us a lot.

1 We were terrible at one on one open field tackling.

2 Corner backs were not coached to keep their eyes on the ball after it left the opposing quarterbacks hands.

These are two things i"ll be watching closely in 2015 and beyond.

I believe in the old saying: Offenses win games but, defenses win championships.

Best of luck to our team and all Vol fans.

Reactions: 3 people
We've had a lot of issues, but they're getting better.

I'm excited to see just how big of a jump these sophomores have made. The cumulative effect of so many new sophomores creates a high ceiling.

Reactions: 1 person
Very true. Our secondary was slow, and our DL got wore down and gashed badly for long runs in the second half. I think we have these two problems fixed since Evan Berry, E. Moseley, Cam Sutton, and Justin Martin all run in the 4.4 range or even better....plus all the D Line talent we now have. Teams will not be able to pull away from us in the second half.

I agree things are looking up. The season really comes down to 1 game this year. Win it, and the season will be a success, lose it, and the season is a failure. That game is on September 26.

I am suprised on how quick this has happened.. Dooley was like having the death penalty

Seems like whiffing on tackles was a common thread going back to Fulmer's last few years. Last season was the first year I've seen in a long time where our defense actually wrapped up and typically brought down the ball carrier on the first contact instead of getting shrugged off and letting the guy go for another 10 yards.

Prior to Jones arriving, Tennessee simply didn't have the talent to compete in the SEC. Watching the Vol's play was indeed embarrassing at times. Hopefully watching team #119 will be much different from the past few years.
Dooley didn't do the Vol's any favors.
Go Vol's

Last edited:
I agree FL Sep 26th, and 1 more of the SEC first half - vs GA at home. If we take care of these, even with loss to both AL and AR, we will be playing for the SECE when we go to Columbia MO......

My expectations are extremely high for this team....or maybe I am just high. Hmm GBO

I believe in the old saying: Offenses win games but, defenses win championships.

Pretty sure Muschamp has a record at UF for losing 2 games where the opposing team had < 100 yards of offense

We're a 7-5 middle of the pack, mediocre also ran SEC team until proven otherwise. This is the year to prove otherwise.

They lacked speed on defense, you have to be there to make a play. Slower players have to give an extra yard and take different angels. Butch has this issue fixed through recruiting. Go Vols!

Even the most skeptical of fans has to admit that the future hasn't been this bright in at least 10 years. From a pure talent standpoint we haven't been this loaded since at least 2001.

We have a starting offense and starting defense that will be competitive with any team in the SEC. We still have the 'depth' problem. Injuries 'heaven forbid' could change our season dramatically. I have high hopes as most of you do... but also know that we all have to be realistic.

Our team has made obvious improvements under Butch Jones.
Things are starting to come together.
Quarterback, running backs, improved OL, etc..

During our down years, there are two things that stood out where we were deficient, and it cost us a lot.

1 We were terrible at one on one open field tackling.

2 Corner backs were not coached to keep their eyes on the ball after it left the opposing quarterbacks hands.

These are two things i"ll be watching closely in 2015 and beyond.

Best of luck to our team and all Vol fans.

But did you see how we reacted to a little rest and healing at the bowl game! :)

We have a starting offense and starting defense that will be competitive with any team in the SEC. We still have the 'depth' problem. Injuries 'heaven forbid' could change our season dramatically. I have high hopes as most of you do... but also know that we all have to be realistic.

Break Pumper IMO. Get out! :p

VN Store

Back