B/R exclusive on UT Football.

HoptownVol

And how Butch is molding a new culture in Knoxville.

This is honestly the best piece Bleacher Report has ever done on the Vols... by Brad Shepard. :good!:

B/R Behind the Scenes: Butch Jones Cultivating a New Culture on Rocky Top | Bleacher Report

Quote of the Century by Andrew Butcher. Stripling tosses him a candy bar for making a big play in practice.

Strip: Arent you going to eat it?
Butcher: No.
Strip: Why not?
Butcher: Linemen dont eat candy! :eek:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 people
Really well done article. This is why B/R can be both fascinating and confusing.

Culture then:

6_214878.jpg

Culture now:

573216c5909ae31e196850aa09397afe_original.jpg

Reactions: 19 people
There's no doubt things are changing for the better on Rocky Top.

Reactions: 1 person
Really well done article. This is why B/R can be both fascinating and confusing.

Culture then:

6_214878.jpg

Culture now:

573216c5909ae31e196850aa09397afe_original.jpg

Dooley created the VFL program.
He was being too clever with his nowwhere vs "now (open door) here"
Intended effect.

Ole Dooley...

Intended effect.

Ole Dooley...

I have to admit, I do miss some things about Dooley, he was hilarious. However, I'd rather have results on
the field and we're going to get that with Butch. And I firmly believe in 4-5 years from now, people are
going to be talking about Butch in the same breath with Saban and Meyer.

The ultimate fan fantasy would be to have Dooley lurking in the shadows and writing new material
for Butch to put his patented twist on. Awww hell, I'm getting greedy! :rock:

This is a good article. It does an excellent job of capturing the change of culture surrounding the program. If you haven't read the article, I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for posting HoptownVol.

Reactions: 4 people
I have to admit, I do miss some things about Dooley, he was hilarious. However, I'd rather have results on
the field and we're going to get that with Butch. And I firmly believe in 4-5 years from now, people are

The ultimate fan fantasy would be to have Dooley lurking in the shadows and writing new material

Dooley pressers were hilarious and I always looked forward to what he was going to say next. However he was a terrible coach, a terrible motivator, and according to many who worked closely with him on a daily basis, a terrible human being.

That being said, I do give credit where credit is due and Dooley did create the VFL program, which has been a great addition to the football program.

He also had a lot of input into the design of the Anderson Training Center and from what I understand, transformed it from being just a great facility to basically being a palace and it serves as a huge recruiting tool for us.

B/R is all about some Tennessee this year

Yep, same here, and its all Butch. He's a mad genius and the media loves him. Even Barret Sallee, their lead SEC
writer who was a shameless Georgia homer is all over the Vols now.

I post on an SEC fan board and fans from other East teams are raging about "all the Butch Jones hype." They just
dont get it, but they will.

I sure as hell hope so

Brad really is an excellent writer.

He structures an article with good information, personal pinion and finds the right place to mix in quotes.

It's a damn shame when BR murders his pieces by fitting them into their multiple page click fests.

Reactions: 4 people

I dont miss a single thing about Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
Intended effect.

Ole Dooley...

Oh, no doubt. I got it then.

The problem is Dooley, with his pedigree and law degree, wasn't approachable. That Opportunity is Nowhere (open doors, now here) is why he failed.

He was too aloof and wasn't a cultural fit for a Head Football Coach. I think he'd make a good AD (also has experience there) and is obviously very intelligent. He seemed like he forgot he was leading 18-22 year old guys that may not have natural inclinations towards intellectual motivation.

At least Dooley didn't run the program into the ground like Fulmer.

At least Dooley didn't run the program into the ground like Fulmer, eh Hoptown??

At least Dooley didn't run the program into the ground like Fulmer, eh Hoptown??

When Dooley started his first fall practice, we were down 48 scholly players from the date Flummo was fired,
he's not responsible for destroying the program, it was pre-destroyed when he arrived. But he certainly didnt
do much to improve our situation.

When Dooley started his first fall practice, we were down 48 scholly players from the date Flummo was fired,
he's not responsible for destroying the program, it was pre-destroyed when he arrived. But he certainly didnt

So going with the driving into the ground/ditch metaphor, Dooley over corrected the vehicle and flipped it across four lanes of traffic and into a tree?

So going with the driving into the ground/ditch metaphor, Dooley over corrected the vehicle and flipped it across four lanes of traffic and into a tree?

Dooley neglected the suspension and drivetrain of the vehicle in favor of installing fine Italian leather seats and was particular about only anti-freeze levels while ignoring oil changes.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch and the Vols are causing some stress around the SEC these days. The Tide, Dawgs, Gators as well as the ole ball coach liked it when we didn't have much of a pulse. Can't wait for Bowling Green week.

Absolutely, completely and in all other ways 100% delusional.

Dooley destroyed our talent base, our competitiveness, our academics, our players' ability to connect with our former players and traditions, the respect for our program, and our win-loss record.

VN Store

Back