Let's pretend/Vol position rankings

Volngeorgia

Pretend you work for Athlon and give your best pre-season position rankings for the Vols.
Use: Very good, Good, Fair, Poor
Here's my best guesses:

Qb: VG
OL: Fair
WR: Good
TE: Good
RB: VG

DL: VG
LB: Fair
DB: Good

FG: Good
KO: Good
KOC: Fair
KOR: Fair
Punt: Good
PC: Good
PR: Fair

Pretend you work for Athlon and give your best pre-season position rankings for the Vols.
Here's my best guesses:

I'm going to pretend I work for bleacher report instead and say "good enough for 10-2 and a natty".

Reactions: 1 person
Here's my best guesses:

OL fair?? They were well below poor last year. Will take great strides to get them into the "fair" range, IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people
We're all hoping Dobbs becomes very good but I wouldn't rate him there, yet.

At least we've seen flashes of Dobbs being very good. He just needs to get better with his accuracy and consistency. While you're right, not a big stretch to get him to a very good rating IMHO. However, a fair rating for arguably the worst OL I've ever witnessed in 40 years of watching football? Nah....poor until further notice.

At least we've seen flashes of Dobbs being very good. He just needs to get better with his accuracy and consistency. While you're right, not a big stretch to get him to a very good rating IMHO. However, a fair rating for arguably the worst OL I've ever witnessed in 40 years of watching football? Nah....poor until further notice.

Agree about the consistency.

Here's my best guesses:

KOR with Ralph David Abernathy and Evan Berry is well above fair. LBS should also be better than fair...

Overly optimistic imo. 10-2 won't win the natty. Wouldn't even get in the final 4. :hi:

It could if it gets us to Atlanta and we win the SECC. Not saying that will happen but I think it's possible for the SECC to get into the playoffs at 11-2 if the 2 losses aren't 'bad' losses. And assuming that there are not 2-3 undefeated teams from other power conferences.

It could if it gets us to Atlanta and we win the SECC. Not saying that will happen but I think it's possible for the SECC to get into the playoffs at 11-2 if the 2 losses aren't 'bad' losses. And assuming that there are not 2-3 undefeated teams from other power conferences.

It will get us in because we travel well. There would be a sea of orange as far as the eye can see.

2015 Projections:

QB: Good
WR: Very Good
TE: Fair
RB: Good
OL: Poor (a step up from abysmal)

DL: Good
DE: Very Good
DB: Very Good

FG: Very Good
KOC: Very Good
KOR: Very Good
Punt: Fair (too early to know)
PC: Very Good
PR: Good

Our special teams unit will be the best in the SEC if we find a good punter, and we'll have multiple options there during fall camp.

Here's my best guesses:

QB Good (No experience after Dobbs)
OL: Fair (Should be improved, s&c wise, experience)
WR: VG (The class of the SEC,should be top 10 in nation
TE: Good (only as good as improving OL allows)
RB: VG (May Thunder and Lightning storm every game)

DL: VG (Should be Top 3 in SEC, Top 10 nationally)
LB: Good (Good talent and depth, Gavin Bryant MLB)
DB: VG (Sutton and Moseley are shutdown corners)

FG: Good (Medley needs to improve on range)
KO and KOC: Fair (Need strong reliable leg)
KOR: Good (In Berry we trust)
Punt: Fair (Hopes rest on Frosh Townsend)
PC: Good (Will Townsend out kick coverage? Doubtful)
PR: Good (There will be no shortage of ATHs to choose

QB Good
RB Good
OL Fair
WR/TE Good

DL Very good
LB Good
DB's Good

KR Good
PR Good
KO Good
PT Fair

Offense should be good, but it is not as deep as the defense.
Defense will have to carry us some games.

QB Good (No experience after Dobbs)
OL: Fair (Should be improved, s&c wise, experience)
WR: VG (The class of the SEC,should be top 10 in nation
TE: Good (only as good as improving OL allows)
RB: VG (May Thunder and Lightning storm every game)

DL: VG (Should be Top 3 in SEC, Top 10 nationally)
LB: Good (Good talent and depth, Gavin Bryant MLB)
DB: VG (Sutton and Moseley are shutdown corners)

FG: Good (Medley needs to improve on range)
KO and KOC: Fair (Need strong reliable leg)
KOR: Good (In Berry we trust)
Punt: Fair (Hopes rest on Frosh Townsend)
PC: Good (Will Townsend out kick coverage? Doubtful)
PR: Good (There will be no shortage of ATHs to choose

I vote for this one.

You've seen the 2015 OL play already? I thought not.

:shaking2:

OL fair?? They were well below poor last year. Will take great strides to get them into the "fair" range, IMHO.

Now, now. Ask Iowa if our OL was "well below poor." I think they had made strides by end of last season, and have made even more in the off-season & spring.

Meanwhile, I don't believe this is a totally absolute ranking, but there should be some relative component as well ... if our OL was still below fair, than other SEC teams would be below that. If you just went by last year results, then you would rank other schools way up there ... crediting them for players they don't even have any more. :question:

Would prefer a 1-10 Scale

QB: 7.5 Depth
OL: 6
WR: 7
TE: 7.5
RB: 8

DL: 9
LB: 6.5
DB: 7

FG: 8
KO: 7.5
KOC: 7
KOR: 7
Punt: 7
PC: 7
PR: 6.5

OFFENSE OVERALL 7.5
DEFENSE 7

KO & KO Return: 7.5 Improved from Last Year
Punt Coverage and Return 7.0

Depth at QB could be an issue. OL may work it way up with DeBord. We have the size and potential and may have the right Offensive Coordinator to turn this Group around. We have not had a decently coached OL since CPF and CDC left.

Defensively if the DL is as good as advertised then the Defense will be an 8.0 Taking pressure off of the DBs and LB Corps. Pressure Pressure and more Pressure at the LOS.

Now, now. Ask Iowa if our OL was "well below poor." I think they had made strides by end of last season, and have made even more in the off-season & spring.

Meanwhile, I don't believe this is a totally absolute ranking, but there should be some relative component as well ... if our OL was still below fair, than other SEC teams would be below that. If you just went by last year results, then you would rank other schools way up there ... crediting them for players they don't even have any more. :question:

Iowa? Iowa was a slow-footed Big 10 team comprised with talent about equal to that of Kentucky's. Perhaps we would do better to ask OleMiss or Missouri....hell, even UTC and Vandy.

Am I saying that our OLine will not have improved since last year? Of course not. Just saying that until we see if they're better, I don't think we can just assign some arbitrary rating that suggests they're much improved.

Last edited:
You've seen the 2015 OL play already? I thought not.

:shaking2:

Have you? The only image I have of our OL dates back to last year....it wasn't good, and until I see a vastly improved unit, I'm not willing to assign them some arbitrary grade that rates them as much improved...which a "fair" rating would be given how poor they were last we saw. I honestly think they'll be better, but they have a long, long way to go just to be proficient.

Another way to look at it is strongest suit to weakest, without any judgment calls relative to other teams: in other words, our "worst" could be pretty darn good, or conversely, the "best" could be far from perfect. Here would be my ranking:

best <------> worst

Offense: RB - QB - WR - TE - OL
Defense: DL - DB - LB
ST: Place Kicking - Returns - Punts

Have you? The only image I have of our OL dates back to last year....it wasn't good, and until I see a vastly improved unit, I'm not willing to assign them some arbitrary grade that rates them as much improved...which a "fair" rating would be given how poor they were last we saw. I honestly think they'll be better, but they have a long, long way to go just to be proficient.

But the little game before us right now, is for each of us to make an opinionated guess, where we think our units are either now, or at time of this upcoming season in fall 2015. The question before us at this time is not, how do we think they did last year.

I opine the OL is at least "fair" and I would go ahead and say "good." No, we don't really know. We were invited to "pretend" and make an opinionated guess. :hi:

VN Store

Back