Coleman Thomas at center yesterday and the coach's remarks are unbelievable.

1standgoal

Coleman Thomas finally got his shot at center in practice yesterday. This is what coach Mahoney said after practice: "He was actually a lot better than I thought he would be playing center. For the most part his snap location was good. He's always been a guy who understands the offense. I was quite surprised really. He's further ahead than I thought he would be." Coleman Thomas, coming out of high school, was listed as a center in all 4 prospect ranking services. ESPN No. 10 center in the country, 247 sports No. 8 center, Rivals No. 9, and Scout No. 5 center in the country. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 12 people
I think Mahoney knows the rankings since he successfully recruited Thomas. :)

Perhaps a little faint praise is being offered here as a bit of a "welcome back" and a bit of a "get to work if you want to start"--you know basic motivational stuff from a football coach.

Reactions: 8 people
The kid got thrown into the fire last year at a position with which he was not familiar as an undeveloped freshman against some of the best DEs in college football. Maybe he blossoms at center. He go a lot of unfair criticism on VN last year from some knuckleheads.

Reactions: 10 people
Instead of looking at it as "unbelievable" why not remember what we had to work with on the O line last year as a whole, and look at it that we now maybe have a solid starting center, which frees up guys for other spots. Last year went about as well as it could have. Relax. This is good.

Reactions: 2 people

Perhaps a little faint praise is being offered here as a bit of a "welcome back" and a bit of a "get to work if you want to start"--you know basic motivational stuff from a football coach.

I think that's exactly what it is.

Instead of looking at it as "unbelievable" why not remember what we had to work with on the O line last year as a whole, and look at it that we now maybe have a solid starting center, which frees up guys for other spots. Last year went about as well as it could have. Relax. This is good.

It's real good especially for this young man! Glad he's back!

Reactions: 3 people
Coleman Thomas finally got his shot at center in practice yesterday. This is what coach Mahoney said after practice: "He was actually a lot better than I thought he would be playing center. For the most part his snap location was good. He's always been a guy who understands the offense. I was quite surprised really. He's further ahead than I thought he would be." Coleman Thomas, coming out of high school, was listed as a center in all 4 prospect ranking services. ESPN No. 10 center in the country, 247 sports No. 8 center, Rivals No. 9, and Scout No. 5 center in the country. Unbelievable.

Honestly, its because recruiting services are at best, subjective, in evaluation. There is no way to tell who is 1st and who is 7th, how could you? They don't play the same teams, or the same levels, or rven same divisions in HS.. My guess is Coaches do NOT care about what Scout or ESPN rated a recruit nationally. Also, HUGE difference between a 23 year old 5th yr Sr and a 19 yr old Redshirt freshman... His time will come.

Reactions: 2 people
The kid got thrown into the fire last year at a position with which he was not familiar as an undeveloped freshman against some of the best DEs in college football. Maybe he blossoms at center. He go a lot of unfair criticism on VN last year from some knuckleheads.

Well, whose freakin fault was that. Butch Jones. I still will never understand why they put CT at RT and expected anything less than the complete debacle we witnessed. If Kendrick had played from the start he would now be a well established and confident player.

Mahoney's comments just show how clueless this staff was last year when it came to evaluating and rightly placing these boys on the O-line. Remember, last spring CT played exclusively at RT and they acted like this kid was going to be great. I mean, no one else even got a look.

Reactions: 1 person
Honestly, its because recruiting services are at best, subjective, in evaluation. There is no way to tell who is 1st and who is 7th, how could you? They don't play the same teams, or the same levels, or rven same divisions in HS.. My guess is Coaches do NOT care about what Scout or ESPN rated a recruit nationally. Also, HUGE difference between a 23 year old 5th yr Sr and a 19 yr old Redshirt freshman... His time will come.

Camps. A lot of evaluation goes on when these guys camp.

Well, that was Mahoney. I bet Butch would've given the standard "Coleman is a work in progress, like the entire rest of the team, and he's not anywhere close to where we need him to be in our football program"....

Reactions: 3 people
Well, that was Mahoney. I bet Butch would've given the standard "Coleman is a work in progress, like the entire rest of the team, and he's not anywhere close to where we need him to be in our football program"....

Close, KB, but you forgot individual and potential:

"Coleman is an individual who is a work in progress, like the entire rest of the team, and he's not anywhere close to where we need him to be in our football program, but he is showing great potential."

There we go. :good!:

Lol Thomas has been at center the majority of the time this spring until he was suspended

The guy was one of the few players on the OL last year who actually had the physical frame of an offensive tackle, that's likely why they tried to play him there.

VN Store

Back