Fingers

Post them here.

Tennessee Football
‏@Vol_Football
Practice #11 is complete. The #Vols got better today! 💪🏽
CCvsdAtUMAAQ9pH.jpg

Rucker's fast five:
1. Coleman Thomas returns.
2. Kamara was dressed and went through drills, but was held out of 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work.
3. SOME SCRIMMAGE HIGHLIGHTS. Reporters were allowed to watch but not film or photograph a few scrimmage-like periods during Thursday’s practice, but reporting of specifics is generally frowned upon. Still, though, there are some things we can report. Rising junior quarterback Joshua Dobbs drove the first-team offense down the field against the first-team defense, with a couple of big assists from rising sophomore running back Jalen Hurd, who continued to show just how special he can be with his athleticism at that large size. Kamara, as we mentioned earlier, didn’t get any work during those periods, and Quinten Dormady took the second-team quarterback reps over fellow freshman January enrollee Jauan Jennings.
4. Croom was seen in a t-shirt, shorts and a helmet jogging around the practice field.
5. Maggitt and Marcus Jackson "have resumed working out with their healthy teammates."

24/7 photos
3556208.jpg

3556223.jpg

3556238.jpg

JANCEK: @EMoseley_4 had three picks today. He's back. He had mono, but he kept working and learning. He's come a long way physically.
Jancek: Dillon Bates is finding his way. He needs to develop more of a field presence, but he's coming along.

As VolQuest.com reported earlier, Rashaan Gaulden was absent from the field with a hand/wrist injury that stemmed from last season. Gaulden joins the group of defenders with offseason surgery but is expected to be able to fully return in four to six weeks.

Also absent from the practice field was LaDarrell McNeil as Evan Berry notched some first-team reps.

Dontavius Blair has shown some signs of improvement lately, and he remained the Vols' No. 2 left tackle behind Kyler Kerbyson.

Though a shoulder injury is keeping him from largely participating in spring, Marcus Jackson did work some as the Vols' first-team left guard in some 11-on-11 drills and other formats.

Charles Mosley had a big-time 'Circle of Life' battle with Shy Tuttle that basically resulted in a stalemate.

In pass skeleton, Josh Dobbs opened with a quick pass to Hurd while Quinten Dormady also had a strong completion to Hurd and then a beautifully thrown pass in coverage that fell incomplete, prompting Butch Jones to both praise Dormady and challenge A.J. Branisel to be an athlete and make the catch.

VQ

Brent Hubbs: Db @UTCoachMartinez said @EMoseley_4 had 3 picks in individual drills today

DeBORD: I have noticed enthusiasm from when I first came for all positions. I have tried to build relationships with all of the players.
DeBORD: @Hunnit0nmyway_2 (Pig)has been a warrior. @FreeKahNature (Von) had a good day today and he's battled through some things. I like their focus.
DeBORD: You have to remember the mid-years would be getting ready for prom now. They are working hard and listening.
DeBORD: I've always tried to bounce around to different position groups as coordinator. I want to show the guys we're all in this together.

MAHONEY: Having Coleman back, he was a lot better than I expected him to be. His snap location from center was good.
MAHONEY: this whole spring @B_Ken63's (Brett Kenddrick) has been focused. @SandysSanders52 (Austin Sanders) also, they know it's time to step up. They've been consistent
MAHONEY: You can never have enough centers. @J_Rob51 (Jay Robertson) has worked at that spot. I have been happy with his snap location, too.
MAHONEY: @ZachFulton72 was a guy who played multiple positions. He was so smart and a talented guy who could do that.
MAHONEY: @KylerGreens77 (Kerbyson) is showing that ability (like @ZachFulton72). He's attacking all three, tackle, guard and center.

Gramt Ramey: Mike DeBord said Vols worked on four plays today with both Alvin Kamara and Jalen Hurd in the backfield. Said that package will grow.
Hubbs: Ut coach @UTCoachMahoney said @CTVols55 (Coleman Thomas) will focus at center the rest of spring as he practiced there today.
Grant Ramey: DeBord also mentioned going over 2014 film with Josh Dobbs and pointing out times he unnecessarily took a hit at the end of a run.

-- The Vols continued to try to get reps for their injured players. On Thursday, each of the players that have been ruled out for the spring again were at practice with t-shirts and helmets. This time, they actually lined up in a walk-through drill in which both the offense and defense ran their plays at about half-speed with no blocking. The first-team defense had a defensive line made up entirely of injured players, including Derek Barnett, Danny O'Brien, and Curt Maggitt.

-- Alton "Pig" Howard continued to deal with a recent case of the drops with a pass slipping out of his hands during a 7-on-7 drill on Thursday. However, he also made an impressive leaping catch on a deep out route on the next play.

Lineman Coleman Thomas returns to practice after theft charges dismissed - News Sentinel Story

Videos
Stripling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGkjoKf4HqE
Azzanni: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBDoy3Df3x4
Mahoney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmamfXcGR30
Elder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxq-GjVCxzk
DeBord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vK-aTkwBTU
Jancek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1aAaOxQSy4
Gillespie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lucKhnJej4w

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
E. Moseley had 3 picks today according to Jancek. Hope they were off Dormady and not Dobbs.

Reactions: 7 people
O Depth chart notes:

• In a team setting when they were just walking through plays (meaning injured players could be in), the two-deep looked like:

LT: 1. Kyler Kerbyson 2. Dontavius Blair
LG: 1. Marcus Jackson 2. Thomas Edwards
C: 1. Dylan Wiesman 2. Coleman Thomas
RG: 1. Jashon Robertson 2. Chance Hall
RT: 1. Brett Kendrick 2. Jack Jones
TE: 1. Ethan Wolf 2. A.J. Branisel/Joe Stocstill/Neiko Creamer
WR: 1. Pig Howard 2. Josh Malone
WR: 1. Marquez North 2. Jason Croom
WR: 1. Johnathon Johnson 2. Von Pearson
RB: 1. Jalen Hurd 2. Alvin Kamara
QB: 1. Joshua Dobbs 2. Quinten Dormady

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/04/16/offensive-practice-notes-416/

Reactions: 1 person
All of the injured defensive linemen and linebackers were on the practice field today in t-shirts, shorts and helmets going through drills and blitz looks with the rest of the defense. After a brief period spent working on a variety of blitzes with the first and second team offenses, defensive coordinator John Jancek took his M.A.S.H. unit of Derek Barnett, Curt Maggitt, Danny O’Brien, Kyle Phillips, Darrin Kirkland Jr. and Jakob Johnson off to the side for a teaching session that involved a lot of time spent working on alignment and fundamentals.

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/04/16/defensive-practice-notes-4-16-15/

Reactions: 2 people
"Jancek: Dillon Bates is finding his way. He needs to develop more of a field presence, but he's coming along."

What does this statement mean? Is Jancek saying he is not vocal enough and not being a leader like they expect?

O Depth chart notes:

• In a team setting when they were just walking through plays (meaning injured players could be in), the two-deep looked like:

LT: 1. Kyler Kerbyson 2. Dontavius Blair
LG: 1. Marcus Jackson 2. Thomas Edwards
C: 1. Dylan Wiesman 2. Coleman Thomas
RG: 1. Jashon Robertson 2. Chance Hall
RT: 1. Brett Kendrick 2. Jack Jones
TE: 1. Ethan Wolf 2. A.J. Branisel/Joe Stocstill/Neiko Creamer
WR: 1. Pig Howard 2. Josh Malone
WR: 1. Marquez North 2. Jason Croom
WR: 1. Johnathon Johnson 2. Von Pearson
RB: 1. Jalen Hurd 2. Alvin Kamara
QB: 1. Joshua Dobbs 2. Quinten Dormady

Crowder?

Reactions: 6 people
"Jancek: Dillon Bates is finding his way. He needs to develop more of a field presence, but he's coming along."

What does this statement mean? Is Jancek saying he is not vocal enough and not being a leader like they expect?

Understandable from my perspective. He got hurt last year and wasn't able to grow on the field physically. I'm sure it'll come along, he's only a RS. Fr.

Reactions: 2 people
Anybody think they might redshirt Coleman this year? Might be a good idea if they're wanting to keep him at center.

Reactions: 3 people

Yeah, Bricks, that's how I'm reading it. Presence == leadership & communication in this case, I think.

Guess Crowder lost his job. Depth is refreshing! Great report Rollie! Go Vols!!

No, I don't think that's what it means, Tear. Crowder wasn't the only name conspicuously missing from that 2-deep. Alex Ellis (TE) and Josh Smith (WR) weren't mentioned at all, either, and you know they're both probably up as high at least as the 2nd string guys mentioned.

I suspect the only thing we should read into this is that those 3 guys had to miss practice today for some reason.

MIA for the open periods

Coleman Thomas returns: After having theft charges against him dropped this week, sophomore offensive lineman Coleman Thomas returned to the practice field for the first time since early in spring practice. In the drills we saw, he was working primarily at center, and got reps as the second-team center behind Dylan Wiesman in one team period (Mack Crowder wasn’t present in the open periods).

Crowder wasn’t present, but no cause for alarm necessarily, as players miss spring practice from time to time for class or personal reasons.

No, I don't think that's what it means, Tear. Crowder wasn't the only name conspicuously missing from that 2-deep. Alex Ellis (TE) and Josh Smith (WR) weren't mentioned at all, either, and you know they're both probably up as high at least as the 2nd string guys mentioned.

I suspect the only thing we should read into this is that those 3 guys had to miss practice today for some reason.

Cool I'm good with that. I thought Mac did a great job. Building depth is good!

Martinez said he's not allowed to "talk a lot about injuries," but he acknowledged that Gaulden would be "limited" for the rest of the spring before later adding that he wouldn't be available.

"We're lacking at depth this spring with the corners," Martinez said. "We had four, and now we're down to three because Rashaan's going to be out."

"We've just got to get through spring, and we've got some guys that are really taking a lot of reps. But we've been smart about it at times, how much they get. We're going to finish spring here a couple guys short, but they're getting better."

Martinez praised Gaulden, who has served as Tennessee's first-team nickelback this spring, as one of the standout performers in the Vols' secondary through the team's first 10 spring practices.

"The first 11 practices, the guy that sticks out for us is Rashaan Gaulden," Martinez said. "He's really done a great job. Obviously, from the fall to now, he can execute our defense. We feel comfortable with him, and that (nickel) position is so critical for us. It's very important for us that you have to be a playmaker, and he's proven that. He's shown that when he was in there for the first 10 practices."

-Callahan

I've not seen Alex Ellis mentioned at all this spring. Anyone know what's up with him.

VN Store

Back