Top coaches under 50

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Roughly half the 127 FBS coaches -- 47.2 percent -- are under the age of 50. Among the Power 5 conferences, 43.1 percent (28 of 65 coaches) are in their 30s and 40s.

Butch comes in at number 8.

8. Butch Jones, Tennessee (47)

Bottom line: The next two or three years will define Jones’ time at Tennessee and where he stands among those on this list. He has hit every correct button since arriving at a proud program that was ailing and starving for something positive. The talent level has increased exponentially in the past two years. The players are either on campus or on the way. It’s time to see if Jones and his staff can follow through and again put the Volunteers back on the college football map. They’re not there yet, but they’re trending in the right direction. Jones’ relentless positivity, which has led to meaningful headway in recruiting and fundraising, is the biggest reason that’s happening.

Malzahan #2
Bielema #7
Freeze #10
Mullen #11

Reactions: 2 people
It's hard to argue with most of the ratings but I'm not sold on Bielema ... yet. He may prove to be better than CBJ and I might have to eat my words. As of today, I'm not sold on him. It will be fun to look back in a few years and reconsider.

It's hard to argue with most of the ratings but I'm not sold on Bielema ... yet. He may prove to be better than CBJ and I might have to eat my words. As of today, I'm not sold on him. It will be fun to look back in a few years and reconsider.

He went to three straight Rose Bowls at Wisconsin.

Reactions: 6 people

Not sold on Bielema? Do you watch college football?

Reactions: 3 people
It's nice to see an objective, fair analysis of our coach and situation. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic but still waiting on the wins.

Roughly half the 127 FBS coaches -- 47.2 percent -- are under the age of 50. Among the Power 5 conferences, 43.1 percent (28 of 65 coaches) are in their 30s and 40s.

Malzahan #2
Bielema #7
Freeze #10
Mullen #11

Link to the article?

Zero doubt in my mind that Bielema deserves to be a good bit ahead of Butch at this point. Look at what he did at Wisconsin, and he has Arkansas ahead of Tennessee after 2 years in their rebuild. I was skeptical at first of Bielema as well, but he deserves the ranking at this point imo.

Malzahan #2
Bielema #7
Freeze #10
Mullen #11

Hold on a minute! Freeze @ #10, Mullen @ #11? How can that be if Butch is #8, and about 1/2 of VN went fawning after those two in the middle of last season like they were the 2nd coming of Knute Rockne? Not possible IMO. :eek:

Hold on a minute! Freeze @ #10, Mullen @ #11? How can that be if Butch is #8, and about 1/2 of VN went fawning after those two in the middle of last season like they were the 2nd coming of Knute Rockne? Not possible IMO. :eek:

Wait a minute. You think Butch should be ahead of 2 coaches who each had their teams ranked #1 in the country at some point last year?? Lol.

Reactions: 1 person
Zero doubt in my mind that Bielema deserves to be a good bit ahead of Butch at this point. Look at what he did at Wisconsin, and he has Arkansas ahead of Tennessee after 2 years in their rebuild. I was skeptical at first of Bielema as well, but he deserves the ranking at this point imo.

How is Arkansas ahead of UT? He has a 10-15 record at Arkansas and CBJ has a 12-13 record. He lost three straight Rose Bowls at Wisconsin. I am failing to see your logic.

How is Arkansas ahead of UT? He has a 10-15 record at Arkansas and CBJ has a 12-13 record. He lost three straight Rose Bowls at Wisconsin. I am failing to see your logic.

Arkansas isn't ahead of UT both have equally sucked, but CBB is ahead of CBJ as far as over all success as a head coach goes.

Ladies, now is not the time to care about such lists. Butch will get plenty of accolades after he starts leading the Vols to championships. His time will come, and it is coming soon.

Did you watch Arkansas play last year, coming off a 3-9 season? They were more highly ranked in both total offense and total defense than Tennessee. They were 6-6 in the regular season like Tennessee, but they were in the SEC West playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss St, Texas A&M and Ole Miss....much more difficult than an SEC East schedule. Plus, they got Missouri and Georgia from the east...no Vandy, Kentucky or even SCar.

Also, while we got drubbed/blown out by Alabama and Ole Miss by a combined score of 68-23, they lost 14-13 to Bama and blew Ole Miss out 30-0....combined score 43-14 in favor of OleMiss.

That's my logic.

Last edited:
Did you watch Arkansas play last year, coming off a 3-9 season? They were more highly ranked in both total offense and total defense than Tennessee. They were 6-6 in the regular season like Tennessee, but they were in the SEC West playing Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Miss St, Texas A&M and Ole Miss....much more difficult than an SEC East schedule.

Also, while we got drubbed/blown out by Alabama and Ole Miss by a combined score of 68-23, they lost 14-13 to Bama and blew Ole Miss out 30-0....combined score 43-14 in favor of OleMiss.

That's my logic.

Did you watch any games last year? If Arkansas would've played Ole Miss when we played them, they would've loss as well. We more than likely would've beaten an injured Ole Miss team.

Both teams loss to Bama...the score does not indicate that BB has Arkansas ahead of TN at this point. It does indicate that Arkansas has better line play than TN did.

Your logic is flawed because you point out two games. What about the UGA game where UGA ran circles around Arkansas?

When it comes down to making or proving a point some of our dear posters just don't let facts or logic get in the way. :birgits_giggle: :no:

Here are my thoughts about BB.
1. He was a huge cry baby in 2008 Outback bowl.
His quarterback was trying to run on a nasty vol defense and the defense made him pay. I lost lots of respect for him while he was crying on the sidelines.
2. He cries about teams playing too fast. Arkansas Razorbacks' Bret Bielema adds tape complaint to Auburn Tigers feud

At this point he was successful in a very overrated B10 conference and has not proven anything in Arky yet. However, on paper, I can see someones point but only time will tell...

I am a little worried about us finding a doorstop MILB to stop their o-line. I hope we stomp a mud hole in his offense again with a vicious defense.

"Bielema was upset about the officiating in general, but was particularly incensed that Tennessee wasn't penalized for Eric Berry's hit that left Donovan down on his back in the end zone."

Wisconsin Badgers vs Tennessee Volunteers - Recap

GBO

while I am not ready to anoint CBJ either; for me it is harder to compare coaches unless you can absolutely replicate the exact, or very near, circumstances - these type of lists are subjective at best. I know there are various others who disagree and we have disagreed previously.

Sometimes luck has a hand in things...especially games....and when teams play really does/can matter. Plus doesn't hurt your win % to play 4 OOC cupcakes every year.

LSU really wasn't as good as advertised, nor previously, last year.

Ole Miss was a shadow of itself after the UT game last year. Caught UA at the right time and capitalized....kudos to HF and his fellas.

MSU had a great run early, but didn't fare well at the end of the year.

AU didn't fare quite as well as GM's first...maybe folks caught on, but I think he is better than average....time will tell if the War Tiger Eagles will dominate from here on.

The Hogs had a great burst late in the year...much like our guys. I do believe they benefited from hitting teams (Ole Miss, LSU) after they were beaten up...which played to their strength...smash mount football. Plus, if CBB coached a Wisconsin team in an inferior conference (as some on here espouse) then how does that factor in the discussion?

I think the various other coaches originally listed are good too, but I'm not ready to trade them for Jones at this point.

Did you watch any games last year? If Arkansas would've played Ole Miss when we played them, they would've loss as well. We more than likely would've beaten an injured Ole Miss team.

Both teams loss to Bama...the score does not indicate that BB has Arkansas ahead of TN at this point. It does indicate that Arkansas has better line play

Dude, seriously? AR beat them by forcing 6 turnovers. When we played them we gave up 4 turnovers and were sacked 7 times. Also 3-16 on 3rd down. 1 month after that (when AR played them) we were being dominated by MO D line and struggling to score against Vandy.

Having a good offensive line is due to coaching (why DeBord was hired) and recruiting. BB and Butch have taken 2 different approaches to building teams. There is a reason out best OT's and DT's are coming in Butch's 3rd recruiting class.

Dude, seriously? AR beat them by forcing 6 turnovers. When we played them we gave up 4 turnovers and were sacked 7 times. Also 3-16 on 3rd down. 1 month after that (when AR played them) we were being dominated by MO D line and struggling to score against Vandy.

Having a good offensive line is due to coaching (why DeBord was hired) and recruiting. BB and Butch have taken 2 different approaches to building teams. There is a reason out best OT's and DT's are coming in Butch's 3rd recruiting class.

I honestly don't think Ark played the same Ole Miss team UT played...it showed.

As far as the Mizzou game...well, UT managed to score above (slightly) the reg season average the Mizzou D allowed. Ark, not so much.

While I agree the OL was subpar, Lack of D was just as much a contributor to the Mizzou loss as anything. Losing our catalyst on D had more of an impact than many want to admit.

You are showing your ignorance. BB had a helluva a lot more to work with than BJ. You are forgetting that Bobby Petrino is a pretty darn good coach that was fired for banging his aid or whatever she was. He was not an inept coach like Dool's. BB only had to correct one year of John L Smith, where as BJ had to correct 3+ years of Dool's. As everyone saw in 2013 there was NO speed on this team. As everyone saw in 2014, there were no servicable SEC linemen. Given what was inherited, BJ has done a better job than BB.

VN Store

Back