Saturday practice updates 4/11

Fingers

Post them here.

CCUh1yuWgAAK_4i.jpg

> Dropped passes marred Tennessee's offense. Von Pearson tried to one-hand a catchable ball coming out of his break, but the potential first-down sailed through his hands, which prompted Jones to remind him "big-time players make that catch." That miscue came when the offense was buried deep in its own territory.

In the overtime work, tight end Ethan Wolf had a bad drop on a would-be nice gain, and Pig Howard had a pass thrown slightly behind him bounce off his hands as well.

> Rising sophomore safety Evan Berry continued his strong spring practice. He didn't have two interceptions and a big hit like he did last Saturday -- at least during the open period -- but he was constantly near the football and making tackles near the line of scrimmage. It's obvious he's playing really fast right now.

> Freshman quarterback Jauan Jennings, running the second-team offense against the second-team defense, was the only quarterback to get Tennessee a first down in the first set of situations.

> On starting quarterback Josh Dobbs's two series, Howard was stopped short of the sticks on third down and Dobbs threw incomplete on third down the play after Pearson's mistake, though Josh Smith drew a pass interference penalty against Malik Foreman on the first play of that series.

> Running back Jalen Hurd probably had the play of the day for the offense, as he took a handoff, burst through the line to the second level of the defense, bounced his run outside and outran everyone to the end zone for a big-time touchdown run.

> Dobbs ran one in for a score later in that series, but he was ruled down as Jones was very generous in awarding the defense tackles against quarterbacks and players in non-contact jerseys (Hurd, Howard). Turner capped that drive by getting around the edge and scoring.

> The second-team offense, led by Jennings, overcame a holding penalty on freshman guard Chance Hall to get in field-goal range in an overtime scenario in which the offense was down by three points, and George Bullock was good from about 34 yards.

> Running back Alvin Kamara (thigh bruise) again sat out as the Vols appear to be playing that situation very cautiously.

Tennessee football practice report: Vols get situational work | Local News | Times Free Press

— Hurd participated in some of the 11-on-11 scrimmaging even though he continues to wear a green non-contact jersey. He was tackled once, but otherwise, the defense was told to tag him. He turned the corner on one run that would’ve likely been a 25-yard touchdown run if the defense had to actually tackle him.

— Junior college transfer tailback Alvin Kamara was in uniform and fielded kickoffs in the individual period, but did not take part in the 11-on-11 scrimmaging. Walk-on Jayson Sparks was the first-team tailback when Hurd was out.

— With Blanc out, redshirt sophomore Josh Smith joined seniors Von Pearson and Alton “Pig” Howard as the first-team wide receivers. The second-team receivers were sophomore Josh Malone, senior Johnathon Johnson and walk-on Logan Fetzner.

Defense shines in Saturday scrimmaging - Vols Beat

Rucker's Fast Five:
1. Butch allowed media to watch half the scrimmage
2. Kamara in pads but didn't participatte, Blanc out, Creamer in pads but sat out, North and Butcher in green, Hurd and Pig Howard were in green but took some conta t.
3. First team: Pearson, Josh Smith, LaTroy Lewis Dimarya Mixon, Vickers, Tuttle, Bynum, Reeves-Maybin, Brian Randolph, LcNeil, Sutton, Foreman, Gaulden, Weatherd (4-3)
4. Second team: Dormady/Jennings, Malone, J. Johnson, Fetner, tyler Stokes, Charles Mosley, Folger, Bryant, McDowell/Berry, Kelly Jr/Evan Berry, Max Arnold/Devin Williams, Devon Swafford.
5. SCRIMMAGE RECAP. We’ll have more on this later, but the bottom line is the defense clearly beat the offense a majority of the time the media were allowed to watch the scrimmage. The first-team offense got a big play from Hurd on a 20-yard touchdown run during an overtime simulation, and walk-on Jayson Sparks added a 2-yard touchdown against the first-team defense. The first-team passing game struggled all scrimmage but got brief respite from a defensive holding call on Foreman (against Smith) to move the chains. Sophomore tight end Ethan Wolf dropped a pass to spoil a potentially big play, and a couple of other receivers missed opportunities to make what would have been tough-but-makable catches. Howard had a ball thrown slightly behind him over the middle, but he could have made the play and didn’t. Freshman offensive tackle Brett Kendrick was flagged for a holding call. The biggest play from the second-team offense was a third-and-long, chain-moving completion from Dormady to sophomore tight end A.J. Branisel, but the offense stalled after that. Freshman guard Chance Hall was flagged for a holding call. Bryant had a sack on Dormady. Fetzner missed an opportunity to make a tough-but-makable catch in the end zone on a fourth-down throw from Dormady, who did a nice job buying time for himself on a play where he knew his throw had to get to the end zone. Kelly nearly picked Dormady on a throw into the deep flat but settled for a violent pass breakup. Freshman kicker Aaron Medley was 1-for-2 on field goals, making from 47 yards with plenty of room to spare but then missing from 33 yards. Junior kicker George Bullock got only one opportunity but cashed in moments after Medley’s miss by making a kick from approximately the same distance.

CCU_U3jWMAEry1O.jpg

DOBBS: Timing can always improve. We continue to grow in the pass game. Drops happen, but we have a snap and clear mentality.
DOBBS: Our receivers showed they were mentally tough today. We show we are taking steps every day from leadership and cohesiveness
DOBBS: @qdormady and Jennings are professing with more reps. They are night and day from when they arrived.
KELLY: Whenever we step in Neyland Stadium, when we step in between the lines, we want to make plays and swarm. #OrangeSwarm
KELLY (on DBs): We are close friends, but we compete on the field,an opportunity to grow. We have a lot of confidence http://t.co/ctcwHRrNNY

It is all about family for the #Vols. Eric Berry visiting with @UTCoachJones on #Vols #FamilyDay http://t.co/cvj3eJ8OZg
CCVEcKQWEAAi9Ha.jpg

CCVFf2AW0AAU-_P.jpg

Todd Kelly Jr. was incredibly active, making several plays on the ball and nearly picking off a Quinten Dormady pass. Dormady, however, had some of his own big plays; none was bigger than his pass to A.J. Branisel to convert a fourth-and-15.

Offensively, Jalen Hurd scrimmaged some but still donned the green, non-contact jersey. Both he and Josh Dobbs had impressive touchdown runs, but the Tennessee offense did not look in-sync during an simulated overtime period. The Vols had a costly penalty and two bad drops before then completing a pass short of the sticks on fourth down.

Hurd had a second touchdown after Dobbs faked the keeper, and Jayson Sparks also scooted in around left end. Jack Jones had a pancake block in a scrimmage setting, and Austin Sanders blasted Tuttle on a play when the offense was backed up near its own goal line.
-VQ

Patrick Brown: Butch using words like 'stale' and 'no mental effort' to describe Tennessee's offense today.
Patrick Brown: Jones said Pig Howard had some bruised ribs, which was why he was in green today, but said Howard "let it affect him."

JONES: What a great day to play football!
JONES: I want to thank all the high school coaches that came in for our clinic, over 600 for the three days.
JONES: Family day is very, very special for us. It’s one of my favorite days of the year.
JONES: Practice was productive because of the situations that we put the team in early on.
JONES: We need our younger players to have the focus and concentration every time we step onto the field.
JONES: I didn’t think we executed very well on offense. We were better when we got Jalen Hurd in there.
JONES: Kendall Vickers is starting to show up consistently. Todd Kelly, Jr. had his best practice. Evan Berry is stepping up the competition
JONES on injuries: You take Jalen Hurd and Alvin Kamara out of the offense and it changes things for you.
JONES: We need more out of Von Pearson. We need a high level of consistency out of him every time he steps on the field.
JONES: If it was a game, Kamara would have played, but we want to get him to 100%. It’s nothing serious.
JONES: Mental toughness is doing the things you don’t want to do.
JONES: I love Jack Jones. You can see his athletic ability and his leverage. He’s tough.
JONES: Having Eric Berry here is very symbolic of what we’re all about here. We are one family. To have him here means a lot.
JONES on coaches clinic: Coach Fulmer did a great job as our featured speaker. It’s all about professional growth and development.
JONES: Cody Blanc is out for the rest of spring. He fractured ribs in the last practice.
JONES: Coaches are coming in to see what’s going on in our program, but I’m also getting feedback from them.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj4i4QzCT7k[/youtube]

VQ 2-minute drill (video): https://player.vimeo.com/video/124709102

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EI3YfgC3eg[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 people
> Running back Jalen Hurd probably had the play of the day for the offense, as he took a handoff, burst through the line to the second level of the defense, bounced his run outside and outran everyone to the end zone for a big-time touchdown run.

Nice

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah I'll say this because I was fortunate enough to be there in person, my preference would 100% be Jennings as 2nd string QB over Dormady. The kid can flat out run.

@Vol_Football: JONES: If it was a game, Kamara would have played, but we want to get him to 100%. It’s nothing serious.

@Vol_Football: JONES: Having Eric Berry here is very symbolic of what we’re all about here. We are one family. To have him here means a lot.

Last edited:
@TennesseeBeat: Jones: "I love Jack Jones.. You can see his athletic ability, his leverage, he's tough, his mind's just swimming right now."

Reactions: 4 people
From what ive read, it seems that the plan will be to rs jennings. He so slight that hes one hit away from never playing in the sec. Someone earlier said that whoever listed his weight on his recruiting specs said they were very generous w his weight. And an article earlier thus week said hes struggling in the passing game.

Regardless who#2 is, i hope its crystal clear heading into the season so theres no controversy like in the last few yrs.

Reactions: 1 person
From what ive read, it seems that the plan will be to rs jennings. He so slight that hes one hit away from never playing in the sec. Someone earlier said that whoever listed his weight on his recruiting specs said they were very generous w his weight. And an article earlier thus week said hes struggling in the passing game.

Regardless who#2 is, i hope its crystal clear heading into the season so theres no controversy like in the last few yrs.
he took several nasty licks today in the scrimmage and seemed completely fine. Kid is elusive

good luck with that....cause it aint happenin

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah I'll say this because I was fortunate enough to be there in person, my preference would 100% be Jennings as 2nd string QB over Dormady. The kid can flat out run.

But, but...the vn experts assured me that Dormady was the better qb because he threw the ball better in the RTI videos. You mean the quarterback runs in this offense and throwing it is only half the skillset necessary?

/blue font

6'4 RB? He's taller than Hurd. He would need to put on 50 pounds at least... Maybe WR, but Safety suits him much better.

Sounds like Kamara doesn't even need spring practice at this point.

Kind of my thinking too. Keep studying the play book and stay conditioned, he will be fine. Same for Hurd really. We cant afford injuries back there. Then again what the hell do I know.

Not sure if srs

Damn right I am serious. This young man is not even into his freshman season yet -- that would start next fall. He is an EE. He wants to play QB for Tennessee, and our staff is giving him that opportunity, as they said they would do. Every player does not come in with the same degree of polish, but some show tremendous potential to be worked out over time. We badly need depth at QB at this time. That takes weeks, months of practice to develop. Who the F are you to say that after 15 days, "safety" ? Maybe you should post your phone # so the staff can call you and let you advise them on the positionings for our team since you know so much more about it than they do.

I f'n hate KY and Vandy trolls.

VN Store

Back