Kirkland committed to mental aspect of game

kamoshika

Linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen has watched with great interest as Kirkland created a presence in the linebacker meeting room. “He’s a very mature young man, unlike anybody we have on our team,’’ Thigpen said Thursday. “He’s different. It’s going to be really interesting to see how he succeeds in the future.’’

Thigpen offered an example of why he calls Kirkland different. During a recent walk-through session, a veteran player missed a play call. Kirkland let him know about it.

“That tells me a lot about his mental makeup,’’ Thigpen said. “He’s not sheepish. He’s willing to challenge an older guy on the field.’’

Tennessee linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. committed to mental aspect of game while injured - News Sentinel Story

While he continues to nurse his injury, the 6-foot-2, 235-pound freshman has his nose stuffed deep in the playbook and film room to consume as much information as possible. He’s also been able to participate in practices as an observer, picking up mental cues and signals that would otherwise go unnoticed in the fast pace of a Tennessee practice session.

“Really, I’m just breaking down the film, being the MIKE (linebacker) that coach Thigpen needs, really trying to lead the defense as best I can from the sidelines,” Kirkland said. “I’m learning the playcalls, learning hand signals, things like that to help me improve.”

He’s also been able to attack lower body workouts...while he lets his injured shoulder properly heal.

“I’ve been killing the lower body for the last two months that I’ve been injured,” Kirkland said. “I’ve seen a lot of improvement. I’ve gained about 12 or 13 pounds since I’ve been here. It’s been very successful for me.”

Kirkland remembers how to forget

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
My eye glanced at the thread title ... "Kerbyson committed to mental ..." is all I picked up initially.

I gotta tell you, I got worried fast. Then I read the rest and went whew. No "institution" anywhere in that title. :)

Reactions: 3 people
I've got him penciled in at Mike this year. Going to be a great player and leader for this team.
I don't know that he starts this year, but I believe this kid will become very special for VN in the years to come.

id like to see him RS (attack!) with the injury. LB is one of the few pos we can do this at

That's impressive. Bynum will have to watch his back when Kirkland becomes healthy! But I'm loving all this competition. I think we have great depth at LB but we just need to develope those and we could have something special. Does anyone know when Kirkland is suppose to return?

I know no one will like this but it would be awesome if Bynum and others locks down mike well enough to redshirt Kirkland ad we get a fully healthy guy next year. if that were to happen our linebacker depth next year will be amazing. Redshirting him will give more flexibility to recruiting also. Seriously we have 3-4 guys other than him seriously competing for that spot if 2 or 3 of them can step up then no need to rush kirkland.

I think Bates will be our MLB of the future. He's just to good to keep off the field and with JRM already having the OLB position that stays in during nickel packages it's the only spot where he can stay on the field no matter the defensive scheme we're using.

My eye glanced at the thread title ... "Kerbyson committed to mental ..." is all I picked up initially.

I gotta tell you, I got worried fast. Then I read the rest and went whew. No "institution" anywhere in that title. :)

:lolabove: I did the same thing lol.

No Kerbyson anywhere in the title either.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Bates will be our MLB of the future. He's just to good to keep off the field and with JRM already having the OLB position that stays in during nickel packages it's the only spot where he can stay on the field no matter the defensive scheme we're using.

Good thing about Bates is he can play MLB or move over to OLB as he has great coverage skills.

In a pinch, he could probably play Safety too. Let's hope it doesn't get to that though!

If Kirkland wasn't injured, I suspect we would be hearing as many positive comments about him as we are about Tuttle? Getting the vibe that Kirkland is our MLB in waiting.

Reactions: 4 people
Wouldn't it be great to have another Al Wilson type playing MLB for UT?
You Betcha! Kirkland may indeed be very special for UT.
Go Vol's

Reactions: 1 person
It's really awesome to have so much talent that you have to worry about how to get them all playing time! As long as we can keep most everybody happy and not transferring we're gonna be fun to watch!

VN Store

Back