Will the vols ever return to the glory years?

1standgoal

Watched the replay of the '97 SEC championship game last night between UT and Auburn. Even though it was a close game, what a team of stars on both sides of the line. Manning, Price, Lewis, Coleman, Clifton, Wilson, Little, etc., the list goes on and on. How long before we return to this level of competition?

Last edited:
Watched the replay of the '97 SEC championship game last night between UT and Auburn. Even though we lost the game, what a team of stars on both sides of the line. Manning, Price, Lewis, Coleman, Clifton, Wilson, Little, etc., the list goes on and on. How long before we return to this level of competition?

We won that one, Bub. And that level of sustained domination? Unlikely. Much more parity in the conference nowadays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Nope we are going to shut the program down. In fact Hart is going with a one Tennessee approach. We are going to name all athletic teams the lady vols.

Reactions: 1 person
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
So minus you're boneheaded recollection of the 1997 SECCG, it will be very difficult for UT to constantly be top 5, top 10.

The SEC is much more difficult these days. If UT learns to "win" then maybe.

Its hard to imagine that Fulmer and Co. didn't win a NC with that roster. They did the next year but look back and see how many NFL Pro Bowlers, Hall of Famers, NFL Rookie of the Year players, high-draft picks they had on the team - unreal.

Even with that incredible talent, Fulmer found a way to lose to UF.

Reactions: 2 people
So minus you're boneheaded recollection of the 1997 SECCG, it will be very difficult for UT to constantly be top 5, top 10.

The SEC is much more difficult these days. If UT learns to "win" then maybe.

Learning to win is much easier when you're pulling in top notch recruits. Jones is getting the reputation as the guy you don't want to see pulling in a recruits driveway if you're an opposing coach. I know we still need to see it on the field, but talent is here. Something we haven't had a ton of in a while. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 4 people
Short answer to the question in the thread title: Yes.

Short answer to the question in the OP: Now.

We are back. Perhaps you hadn't heard.

From this point on, every year is a potential championship run for the Volunteers.

Last edited:
Learning to win is much easier when you're pulling in top notch recruits. Jones is getting the reputation as the guy you don't want to see pulling in a recruits driveway if you're an opposing coach. I know we still need to see it on the field, but talent is here. Something we haven't had a ton of in a while. Fingers crossed.

That reminds me of the scene in the blind side where Fulmer shows up and the coaches say pack it up Tennessee is here, I believe we just might be back at that place with CBJ.

Short answer to the question in the thread title: Yes.

Short answer to the question in the OP: Now.

We are back. Perhaps you hadn't heard.

From this point on, every year is a potential championship run for the Volunteers.

not back yet, trending up, 7-6 isn't back, and like it or not, we haven't won a big game(-usce?) in forever it seems. Talent is being built back, but QB, RB depth is little or never has played a college game. O-line still needs rebuilt, and to add depth. coaching staff is doing a good job, just need a couple more years to throw on some more bricks! Go Vols!

not back yet, trending up, 7-6 isn't back, and like it or not, we haven't won a big game(-usce?) in forever it seems. Talent is being built back, but QB, RB depth is little or never has played a college game. O-line still needs rebuilt, and to add depth. coaching staff is doing a good job, just need a couple more years to throw on some more bricks! Go Vols!

Don't need no more years. We are back.

From this point on, every year is a potential championship year. Go Vols!

Why do so many question if two years ago win over USC is a big win? They finished 4th in the country that year with two losses. Clearly a big win and clearly the biggest since Fulmer

Watched the replay of the '97 SEC championship game last night between UT and Auburn. Even though it was a close game, what a team of stars on both sides of the line. Manning, Price, Lewis, Coleman, Clifton, Wilson, Little, etc., the list goes on and on. How long before we return to this level of competition?

the 90s were the best decade in the history of Tennessee football. 10 years like that again are not likely at all at Tennessee. Was a once in a lifetime decade..

Reactions: 3 people
Why do so many question if two years ago win over USC is a big win? They finished 4th in the country that year with two losses. Clearly a big win and clearly the biggest since Fulmer

ok sorry, I was actually speaking of last years win, but it sure is nice that bUTch owns ol visor boy! big wins, I think UGA , bammer, Gators(killed me in 14), but its coming sooner than later

the 90s were the best decade in the history of Tennessee football. 10 years like that again are not likely at all at Tennessee. Was a once in a lifetime decade..

Why not?

Don't have the facilities? Don't have the stadium? Play in a weak conference?

I'm truly interested to hear this.

We won that one, Bub. And that level of sustained domination? Unlikely. Much more parity in the conference nowadays.

Correct, UT was the last team to win back to back SEC Titles. 1997 and 1998, not even Bama with Saban has accomplished that yet.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but duplicating the sustained success that the Vols had during the 90's will be extremely difficult.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back