Tennessee tops the list for money paid to players

Thread title equals = "I was a letterman in high school", says the water boy. Congrats.

Reactions: 1 person
HEY, Volleygirl, I was a letterman in high school! Our school just happened to give letters to the water boys too, I earned it fair and square! How rude!

ok yeah just kidding. I got cut from the water boy squad.

The extra monies paid do not translate in a recruiting advantage for these 15 schools.

1. Tennessee: $5,666 5th on Rivals
2. Auburn: $5,586 7th on Rivals
3. Louisville: $5,202 32nd on Rivals
4. Mississippi State: $5,126 16th on Rivals
5. Texas Tech: $5,100 40th on Rivals
6. Penn State: $4,788 15th on Rivals
7. TCU: $4,700 34th on Rivals
8. Oklahoma: $4,614 14th on Rivals
9. Oklahoma State: $4,560 38th on Rivals
10. Ole Miss: $4,500 21st on Rivals
11. Wisconsin: $4,316 37th on Rivals
12. Texas: $4,310 12th on Rivals
13. South Carolina: $4,151 19th on Rivals
14. Kansas State: $4,112 45th on Rivals
15. Arkansas: $4,002 25th on Rivals

I guess this shows that Butch is selling more to his recruits than just a few extra dollars.

The extra monies paid do not translate in a recruiting advantage for these 15 schools.

1. Tennessee: $5,666 5th on Rivals
2. Auburn: $5,586 7th on Rivals
3. Louisville: $5,202 32nd on Rivals
4. Mississippi State: $5,126 16th on Rivals
5. Texas Tech: $5,100 40th on Rivals
6. Penn State: $4,788 15th on Rivals
7. TCU: $4,700 34th on Rivals
8. Oklahoma: $4,614 14th on Rivals
9. Oklahoma State: $4,560 38th on Rivals
10. Ole Miss: $4,500 21st on Rivals
11. Wisconsin: $4,316 37th on Rivals
12. Texas: $4,310 12th on Rivals
13. South Carolina: $4,151 19th on Rivals
14. Kansas State: $4,112 45th on Rivals
15. Arkansas: $4,002 25th on Rivals

I guess this shows that Butch is selling more to his recruits than just a few extra dollars.

Umm, the full cost of tuition has never before been covered. Which means recruits in past years had nothing like this article to go on. Now that lists like this are being compiled, it could conceivably become another (of many) factors recruits use to pick their school.

In other words, you can't use past recruiting rankings to determine a correlation with brand new scholarship practices. Give it a year or two, then try again.

Umm, the full cost of tuition has never before been covered. Which means recruits in past years had nothing like this article to go on. Now that lists like this are being compiled, it could conceivably become another (of many) factors recruits use to pick their school.

In other words, you can't use past recruiting rankings to determine a correlation with brand new scholarship practices. Give it a year or two, then try again.

You don't think current coaches knew of this new rule when they signed their 2015 classes?

You don't think current coaches knew of this new rule when they signed their 2015 classes?

Knew about the rule change? Sure. We all knew about the rule change.

But I don't think current coaches knew how much their schools would end up deciding to add to the existing scholarships, and I don't think those coaches knew what their competitors' schools were going to add to their scholarships, either. Without knowing what other schools will offer, you'd have no way of knowing whether your school's plans are better or worse....even if you do know how much your own school is considering.

So nope, there was absolutely no way for this to be a factor in the 2015 or previous signing classes.

Last edited:
Knew about the rule change? Sure. We all knew about the rule change.

But I don't think current coaches knew how much their schools would end up deciding to add to the existing scholarships, and I don't think those coaches knew what their competitors' schools were going to add to their scholarships, either. Without knowing what other schools will offer, you'd have no way of knowing whether your school's plans are better or worse....even if you do know how much your own school is considering.

So nope, there was absolutely no way for this to be a factor in the 2015 or previous signing classes.

I agree that they didn't know what their competitors were offering but I'm sure that coaches had a pretty fair idea what their respective schools would be willing to pony up. All the coach had to do was pitch what his school could offer in the blind much like a car dealer to a customer. I'd bet some of these kids were aware of other offers. Maybe the extra $1166 swayed Drew Richmond?

Lawyers try to never ask a witness in court a question to which they don't already know the answer ... and salesman try to never pitch a feature of their product that may actually be worse than the competitor's.

Assuming you think the bump-up in scholarship funding is important to the recruit (if it weren't, why bring it up at all?) ... why risk telling him your school is able to give him an extra $1,000 a year, given the possibility that 'Bama or Georgia's coach may come in the next day and tell him they can offer $2,000? So...you just don't bring it up, because it may come back to bite you.

And all that assumes that Butch had any idea how much the UT administration was going to decide to add to 'full cost of attendance' scholarships. I don't know the timeline, but it's quite possible that info wasn't yet available to him several months ago when the recruiting race was on.

Not sure I actually understand this new rule. Is this basically a stipend above and beyond the cost of "school"? If so, looks like a pretty slippery slope towards professional athletes in college. Am I missing something?

Not sure I actually understand this new rule. Is this basically a stipend above and beyond the cost of "school"? If so, looks like a pretty slippery slope towards professional athletes in college. Am I missing something?

There are costs to attending college beyond the tuition, books, room & board previously allowed by the NCAA for athletic scholarships. Things like fees, office supplies, transportation, medical & dental coverage, etc. The new rule allows schools to provide scholarships that cover the "full cost of attendance."

I'm sure there are strict NCAA guidelines defining that phrase, but each university operates in a slightly different way and has its own geographic setting and economic environment. So it is up to each school to apply those definitions and come up with a $$ figure covering the rest of "full cost of attendance."

You can bet the NCAA will be auditing schools' calculations for adherence to the guidelines, particularly those at the higher end of the spectrum. It may be a slippery slope, but is sure to be a well-patrolled one.

The new 2a rule makes the $i00 hand shake legal to a point………rules are made to be broken and some probably will. :angel: :question:

Last edited:
There are costs to attending college beyond the tuition, books, room & board previously allowed by the NCAA for athletic scholarships. Things like fees, office supplies, transportation, medical & dental coverage, etc. The new rule allows schools to provide scholarships that cover the "full cost of attendance."

I'm sure there are strict NCAA guidelines defining that phrase, but each university operates in a slightly different way and has its own geographic setting and economic environment. So it is up to each school to apply those definitions and come up with a $$ figure covering the rest of "full cost of attendance."

You can bet the NCAA will be auditing schools' calculations for adherence to the guidelines, particularly those at the higher end of the spectrum. It may be a slippery slope, but is sure to be a well-patrolled one.

:yes:
10475693_798710010184302_2958437587549927381_n.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

motorcycle-crash1.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back