Thursday Practice updates 4/9

Fingers

Post them here.

Patrick Brown: Tennessee held Alvin Kamara (thigh bruise) out of practice again today, though he was working out on the side during the open part.

JANCEK: I've seen guys make improvements, but as a unit we make too many mistakes.
JANCEK: Kendall Vickers and Shy Tuttle continue to improve, but we have a long way to go.
JANCEK: I saw a lot of mistakes out of the first unit in the scrimmage. We gave up 11 explosive plays, it's hard to be successful doing that
JANCEK: Shy Tittle has a willingness to work and is coachable. If he continues to work hard, he will be very successful.
JANCEK: Kenny Bynum knows all the calls and gets his guys set up. He has to be a smart player in great position.
JANCEK: We are a work in progress right now. We have guys in positions that require great communication and we're not getting that now

DeBORD: @Chance_A_Hall doesn't ever say anything about his Achilles. He's working hard every day to get better.
DeBORD: The tempo of the practice has been fast. We are pushing the players to play at a high speed.
DeBORD: we like to get the play off in under 20 seconds
STRIPLING: It was a grinding day. We have limited numbers, so it was a day to test them mentally.
DeBORD: @Bcountry18 (Ethan Wolf) has done a good job in the passing game. He has to become more consistent in his footwork in run game.
STRIPLING: Mixon had his best practice Tuesday. I'm hoping that it's starting to come together for him.
DeBORD: At center, we have told that group, don't be worried about the depth chart. We are going to move people around.
STRIPLING: It's all the same for me, I'm coaching hard and having fun. You build your toughness in the spring to show it in the fall.
DeBORD: I have always coached with passion and energy. I will always coach that way.
STRIPLING: This experience is invaluable. If we had everyone healthy, Tuttle and Mosley would not be getting these reps
DeBORD: Jauan Jennings has improved so much. He has great focus. He will get there.
STRIPLING: Shy is a wonderful kid who is trying hard. He makes big plays and is around the ball.

MAHONEY: The experienced guys playing together has allowed us to play at a higher level more quickly.
MAHONEY: I think we've come a long way. Guys have played to the point where they've earned their strips and are leading the way.
MAHONEY: I was concerned if Chance Hall would be able to go. I'm very pleased at the way he has been able to work and progress.
MAHONEY: Blair is not as consistent as he needs to be right now. He needs to focus on working to get better every day.
MAHONEY: Blair has to be technically and fundamentally sound in everything he does.

AZZANNI: @joshuamalone03 is getting a lot of reps. I look at the little things like how he's playing without the ball in his hands.
AZZANNI: The 2 rookie quarterbacks should be putting on their ties for prom, but they are out here with us now.
AZZANNI: We only have 5 scholarship WRs now, but I'm using at a good thing in terms of mental toughness. I'm going to push them to the brink

MARTINEZ: Evan Berry had a great day Saturday. He's learning to deal with new wrinkles we've put in the defense.
MARTINEZ: We have the competition to rest some starters and give guys some reps. That has sparked some healthy competition.
MARTINEZ: Our whole team takes pride in finishing plays. We play from the start of the whistle to the end of the whistle.
MARTINEZ: We don't want to use youth as an excuse, but our communication has to get better. We can correct it and learn from it.

AZZANNI: @FreeKahNature (Von Pearson) is becoming a wide receiver now. I want him to see him how to play the position the right way.
AZZANNI: @Numero8_thebest (Marquez North) is being challenged to be Hungry. He's pretty close to being 100 %. I'm seeing improvement in individual drills.

THIGPEN: We've seen a lot of leadership out of Bynum. There is a lot of maturity and is a guy who is going to bring it every day.
THIGPEN: We expect a lot from Jalen Reeves-Maybin.
THIGPEN: We have a lot of young guys on the field, we need them to just line up and do their job.

Via JohnMarxism below
Fast Five:

1. No Kamara

2. No Thomas

3. Evan Berry worked with the 1's

4. Former walk-on Swafford shines (forced a fumble from Bransiel at the goal-line)

5. Coaching Clinic (hundreds of high school coaches in attendance)

Dustin Dopriak: Some notes from practice today. Former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano was at practice.

— The Vols did some 11-on-11 work during the open period, an all-or-nothing fourth down drill. The lineups were mostly the same as they have been in recent weeks with a few interesting exceptions. With Kamara out and sophomore Jalen Hurd being held out of contact all spring, walk-on Jayson Sparks was the first-team tailback. Redshirt sophomore Josh Smith joined seniors Alton “Pig” Howard and Von Pearson as the first-team wideouts, replacing Cody Blanc as the third receiver. Sophomore Josh Malone worked with the first-team in a four-wide receiver set.

— Senior safety Brian Randolph was held out of 11-on-11 drills, but watched from behind the play with Hurd. The rest of the players not on the field were on the sideline. Defensive coordinator John Jancek said the Vols make a point to give Randolph a break because he “knows the defense inside and out.”

— Sophomore Evan Berry took Randolph’s spot as the first-team safety. Senior Owen Williams worked as a first-team defensive tackle with Kendal Vickers. Freshman Shy Tuttle joined Charles Mosley on the second team.

— During the drill, tight end A.J. Branisel made a catch-and-run of about 60 yards, but was caught at the goalline by nickel back Devaun Swofford, who poked the ball out of Branisel’s hands and out of the end zone for a touchback.

— Sparks also broke a huge run during the open period.

VolsBeat

Hurd went through drills but not contact situations, as the sophomore tailback will wear the green, non-contact jersey throughout spring. After shining through the first two weeks of camp, Kamara has nursed a hamstring injury this week. Neiko Creamer also did not practice but did conditioning work in the 'Black Hole.'

Owen Williams did get pressure up the middle against the Vols' first-team offense on an early snap, helping trigger an incomplete pass, but Alton 'Pig' Howard notched a first down on an end-around play. On the first play for the second-team units, Quinten Dormady placed a nice, over-the-shoulder ball to A.J. Branisel for what converted a fourth-and-6 and appeared to be a likely touchdown before junior defensive back Devaun Swafford tracked Branisel from behind and forced a fumble.

Josh Dobbs found Howard on a quick slant for a first down to convert fourth-and-6 on the first-team units' next series, and the Vols' offense followed up that play with a long-gaining run by walk-on back Kendrick Turner, who gashed the defense for a 30-yard gain but saw the play limited by a holding penalty against wideout Von Pearson.

VQ

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Dobbs and Pearson both wore cameras today. Looks like the film crew is getting some first person views?

3544034.jpg

3544007.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Fast Five:

1. No Kamara

2. No Thomas

3. Evan Berry worked with the 1's

4. Former walk-on Swafford shines (forced a fumble from Bransiel at the goal-line)

5. Coaching Clinic (hundreds of high school coaches in attendance)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96Lw9HGyQE[/youtube]

JRM names Elliot Berry as the most improved player on the team

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
My personal takeaways from the coach interviews:

Jancek: When asked what he wants to see more from JRM, he said "I want him to be more physical"

Mahoney: "Blair is not playing as consistent as he needs to right now. He's more focused than ever." "Sanders realizes that the time is now."

Debord: When questioned on his own development he commented on the tempo of the offense. "Blair is competing with Kerbyson". "Jennings has improved so much"

With all the praise Tuttle seems to be getting, I found this interesting

STRIPLING: This experience is invaluable. If we had everyone healthy, Tuttle and Mosley would not be getting these reps.

Perhaps he just means more bodies would cut into that and I'm reading too much into it. Who's missing?

Reactions: 1 person
With all the praise Tuttle seems to be getting, I found this interesting

Perhaps he just means more bodies would cut into that and I'm reading too much into it. Who's missing?

Yeah, given everything else that has been said, it seems like he pretty clearly means something like "Tuttle and Mosley have been getting 1st and 2nd team reps, which has really helped them develop. If we had our full complement of incredible D-linemen, then they would be getting action with the 2nd and 3rd team, respectively."

It's just a silver lining from having little depth, the new guys and the backups get to get those invaluable first team reps.

Yeah, given everything else that has been said, it seems like he pretty clearly means something like "Tuttle and Mosley have been getting 1st and 2nd team reps, which has really helped them develop. If we had our full complement of incredible D-linemen, then they would be getting action with the 2nd and 3rd team, respectively."

It's just a silver lining from having little depth, the new guys and the backups get to get those invaluable first team reps.

Exactly. It's unfortunate that we are without our main guys but instead of dwelling on it, we thrust our next men up. It's important not to get overly optimistic of our guys showing out in spring AND that our original starters will not face setbacks from lost time. Then again. It is the offseason

I still think Mckenzie starts against Toledo. What do you think?

I still think Mckenzie starts against Toledo. What do you think?

Shoot, McKenzie is transferring to Arkansas and playing Toledo?!? :)

Assuming you meant Bowling Green, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to think of that. On the one hand, Owen, O'Brien, Tuttle, and Vickers have been here all spring and look really good. So it might make sense to ease Mckenzie in. On the other hand, he is a massive talent, shouldn't take long to get game ready, and it shows how we treat #1 recruits. So starting him wouldn't be crazy.

But it won't make a huge difference. Khalil is playing as much as the starter no matter what.

Shoot, McKenzie is transferring to Arkansas and playing Toledo?!? :)

Assuming you meant Bowling Green, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to think of that. On the one hand, Owen, O'Brien, Tuttle, and Vickers have been here all spring and look really good. So it might make sense to ease Mckenzie in. On the other hand, he is a massive talent, shouldn't take long to get game ready, and it shows how we treat #1 recruits. So starting him wouldn't be crazy.

But it won't make a huge difference. Khalil is playing as much as the starter no matter what.

Holy Toledo! Yes I meant BG.

Reactions: 2 people
Post them here.

Patrick Brown: Tennessee held Alvin Kamara (thigh bruise) out of practice again today, though he was working out on the side during the open part.

JANCEK: I've seen guys make improvements, but as a unit we make too many mistakes.
JANCEK: Kendall Vickers and Shy Tuttle continue to improve, but we have a long way to go.
JANCEK: I saw a lot of mistakes out of the first unit in the scrimmage. We gave up 11 explosive plays, it's hard to be successful doing that
JANCEK: Shy Tittle has a willingness to work and is coachable. If he continues to work hard, he will be very successful.
JANCEK: Kenny Bynum knows all the calls and gets his guys set up. He has to be a smart player in great position.
JANCEK: We are a work in progress right now. We have guys in positions that require great communication and we're not getting that now

DeBORD: @Chance_A_Hall doesn't ever say anything about his Achilles. He's working hard every day to get better.
DeBORD: The tempo of the practice has been fast. We are pushing the players to play at a high speed.
DeBORD: we like to get the play off in under 20 seconds
STRIPLING: It was a grinding day. We have limited numbers, so it was a day to test them mentally.
DeBORD: @Bcountry18 (Ethan Wolf) has done a good job in the passing game. He has to become more consistent in his footwork in run game.
STRIPLING: Mixon had his best practice Tuesday. I'm hoping that it's starting to come together for him.
DeBORD: At center, we have told that group, don't be worried about the depth chart. We are going to move people around.
STRIPLING: It's all the same for me, I'm coaching hard and having fun. You build your toughness in the spring to show it in the fall.
DeBORD: I have always coached with passion and energy. I will always coach that way.
STRIPLING: This experience is invaluable. If we had everyone healthy, Tuttle and Mosley would not be getting these reps
DeBORD: Jauan Jennings has improved so much. He has great focus. He will get there.
STRIPLING: Shy is a wonderful kid who is trying hard. He makes big plays and is around the ball.

MAHONEY: The experienced guys playing together has allowed us to play at a higher level more quickly.
MAHONEY: I think we've come a long way. Guys have played to the point where they've earned their strips and are leading the way.
MAHONEY: I was concerned if Chance Hall would be able to go. I'm very pleased at the way he has been able to work and progress.
MAHONEY: Blair is not as consistent as he needs to be right now. He needs to focus on working to get better every day.
MAHONEY: Blair has to be technically and fundamentally sound in everything he does.

AZZANNI: @joshuamalone03 is getting a lot of reps. I look at the little things like how he's playing without the ball in his hands.
AZZANNI: The 2 rookie quarterbacks should be putting on their ties for prom, but they are out here with us now.
AZZANNI: We only have 5 scholarship WRs now, but I'm using at a good thing in terms of mental toughness. I'm going to push them to the brink

MARTINEZ: Evan Berry had a great day Saturday. He's learning to deal with new wrinkles we've put in the defense.
MARTINEZ: We have the competition to rest some starters and give guys some reps. That has sparked some healthy competition.
MARTINEZ: Our whole team takes pride in finishing plays. We play from the start of the whistle to the end of the whistle.
MARTINEZ: We don't want to use youth as an excuse, but our communication has to get better. We can correct it and learn from it.

AZZANNI: @FreeKahNature (Von Pearson) is becoming a wide receiver now. I want him to see him how to play the position the right way.
AZZANNI: @Numero8_thebest (Marquez North) is being challenged to be Hungry. He's pretty close to being 100 %. I'm seeing improvement in individual drills.

THIGPEN: We've seen a lot of leadership out of Bynum. There is a lot of maturity and is a guy who is going to bring it every day.
THIGPEN: We expect a lot from Jalen Reeves-Maybin.
THIGPEN: We have a lot of young guys on the field, we need them to just line up and do their job.

Via JohnMarxism below

Dustin Dopriak: Some notes from practice today. Former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Bucs coach Greg Schiano was at practice.

VolsBeat

VQ

Blanc out with broken ribs.

one that stuck out to me

think about that really hard about what that means.

Are they playing with Nike balls yet? Seems like it would be good to go ahead and start using them so everybody could get used to them, especially the kickers and QBs.

Not terribly concerned but when a walk-on RB gashes your first team D for 30yds it makes me cringe.

Once all the pieces are in place I think our defence will be just fine.

VN Store

Back