Mid-spring stock watch

kamoshika

Vickers' emergence this spring has surprised me but it's great to see.

I’m always skeptical of the spring warrior that fades in the fall as other players arrive and/or return from injury. Vickers certainly is at risk of falling into that category with the incredible amount of talent on the defensive line that will be there in the fall. But at least for the time being, the converted defensive end is making the most of his opportunity and appears to be carving out at least a spot in the rotation. He’s arguably the strongest player on the team, and still has much of his speed from being a pass-rushing end in high school despite packing on close to 60 pounds in the past few years. Coaches and teammates are raving about him. Look for him to, at the very least, be a contributor in 2015.

Mid-Spring Stock Watch | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 3 people
Great to hear the report on Vickers!

Guess I'm a negavol as this is what stuck out to me the most;

3. Dontavius Blair’s chances to start: Fans seem to take a strong stance on Blair – either declaring him the savior at left tackle or writing him off as a complete bust. And while the truth is probably somewhere more in the middle, those who had high hopes of Blair locking down a tackle job this spring are likely going to be disappointed. The 6-8, 300-pound former junior college transfer has spent more time with the second team and scout team than getting looks with the starters, at least in the periods viewed by the media.

I fall into the the 2nd group. OT is our position of biggest need and DB was so well thought of as a JUCO recruit then got a RS in to get better prepared. If he still can't earn a starting position then they need to make sure he graduates and moves on after 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
anyone think they will move Jennings into a new role with dormandy winning the backup spot? I think jones is going to be a little bit more developed than Jennings as well. where do you think Jennings would serve us best?

anyone think they will move Jennings into a new role with dormandy winning the backup spot? I think jones is going to be a little bit more developed than Jennings as well. where do you think Jennings would serve us best?

He can be an all-American safety. He would have been rated incredibly high at safety if that is what he went to college to play

Reactions: 1 person

Who is dormandy?

I believe I read a quote from an interview by DeBord that said Jennings was 100% staying at QB. Guess it could have been coach speak. But that is what he said.

No need to move him at this point or even consider it. See where he is in a year.

Reactions: 5 people
I believe he came to Tennessee because he was promised a solid opportunity to be coached up and given a solid shot at becoming a QB.

I believe that buTch will honor that promise for at least this season and next.

We're fine with talent and depth at the Safety position anyway so no need to try to push him to a position move for now.

Kids we're trying to recruit and their parents need to know that Tennessee coaches keep their word of Honor and can trust our staff.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 7 people
He can be an all-American safety. He would have been rated incredibly high at safety if that is what he went to college to play

Let him have atleast a year. Playing qb in college isn't the easiest thing in the world. Him being an all American at safety is a very big reach also. Randolph is a very good safety and he isn't an all american. The kid seems to have a great work ethic and alot of talent. Let him do his thing.

Reactions: 2 people
I imagine Butch said something like this to Jennings: "We like your potential at both QB and Safety. We respect that you want to play QB and we won't talk about switching unless you want to."

Jennings ain't dumb. If he doesn't think he can compete for a job in 2 years, he'll swap to safety and try to make a push for the NFL. He will almost certainly redshirt this year, anyways, giving him 3 years to prepare at safety if it comes to that.

Reactions: 4 people
With only 4 QBs on scholly, and 3 of those being true FR, I would say Jennings is going nowhere soon regardless of his development.

Reactions: 5 people
I just don't see how Jennings will get his chance with dormady and jones both being very developed QBs. not doubting the kids ability at all but I think it would be a better investment for not only the team but for himself to try another position. maybe the staff will wait to see were he is at once jones arrives

Great to hear the report on Vickers!

Guess I'm a negavol as this is what stuck out to me the most;

3. Dontavius Blair’s chances to start: Fans seem to take a strong stance on Blair – either declaring him the savior at left tackle or writing him off as a complete bust. And while the truth is probably somewhere more in the middle, those who had high hopes of Blair locking down a tackle job this spring are likely going to be disappointed. The 6-8, 300-pound former junior college transfer has spent more time with the second team and scout team than getting looks with the starters, at least in the periods viewed by the media.

I fall into the the 2nd group. OT is our position of biggest need and DB was so well thought of as a JUCO recruit then got a RS in to get better prepared. If he still can't earn a starting position then they need to make sure he graduates and moves on after 2015.

It seemed that when we went and picked him up it was to fill a huge hole, now after a Redshirt year under his belt he simply needs to find a place in his life that he can draw from being nasty. OL don't work well if they don't have some....stamina and nasty is what's holding him back....could be the end of his scolly by years end.

I just don't see how Jennings will get his chance with dormady and jones both being very developed QBs. not doubting the kids ability at all but I think it would be a better investment for not only the team but for himself to try another position. maybe the staff will wait to see were he is at once jones arrives

He is extremely raw at the position and is the most athletic of the 3 new QBs. He has tremendous upside; no need to sell him short just yet. We simply can't afford to try him at another position this year.

Reactions: 4 people
Props to these guys for the hard work that they're putting in. There probably hasn't been this much optimism in volnation for a decade and rightly so.

Reactions: 1 person
If Dobbs starts all of this season and next, I wouldnt be surprised if one of the newcomer QB's transfer. I just wonder how it will all shake out if Jennings moves to safety. Will both Dormady and Jones stay?

Jennings will not move to safety in year 1, period. We do not have the depth to even consider it right now.

I can see him staying at QB this entire year, red shirting, and then move to safety next Spring after Guarantano gets here.

Last edited:
I imagine Butch said something like this to Jennings: "We like your potential at both QB and Safety. We respect that you want to play QB and we won't talk about switching unless you want to."

Jennings ain't dumb. If he doesn't think he can compete for a job in 2 years, he'll swap to safety and try to make a push for the NFL. He will almost certainly redshirt this year, anyways, giving him 3 years to prepare at safety if it comes to that.
Correct, he'll decide for himself if he has what it takes to play QB. He is competing with 3 pretty good ones and of course over time could rise to the top at the position.

VN Store

Back