The Hobnail Boot

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
Team 119 has the potential to be very, very special. Scheduling for us and our rivals has lined-up as much in our favor as is possible and we have to deliver the Hobnail Boot on the noses of these three teams:

Florida
Arkansas
Missouri

We simply cannot lose to Florida again especially with them having a first year coach. Arkansas - looks like a program on the up, but Butch cannot lose to Bielema with both at Year Three and Butch having the greater talent. It is time to show Missouri that our talent and development is greater than Pinkell's 3* development.

These are three must win games for Butch in Year Three. Win them and it will indeed be a special year that will see the Vols in Atlanta competing for the SECC.

Reactions: 2 people
I was sure this would be a uga troll thread. I would say that those are definitely three important games for us, especially for Butch. It's time for him to be winning those types of games and I feel good that he is going to produce!

And GA we need to get them at home. Also need to continue to beat SC Vandy and KY. If we can get your 3 my 4 and the 4 OOC games then TN should be in good shape!

Team 119 has the potential to be very, very special. Scheduling for us and our rivals has lined-up as much in our favor as is possible and we have to deliver the Hobnail Boot on the noses of these three teams:

Florida
Arkansas
Missouri

We simply cannot lose to Florida again especially with them having a first year coach. Arkansas - looks like a program on the up, but Butch cannot lose to Bielema with both at Year Three and Butch having the greater talent. It is time to show Missouri that our talent and development is greater than Pinkell's 3* development.

These are three must win games for Butch in Year Three. Win them and it will indeed be a special year that will see the Vols in Atlanta competing for the SECC.

I hope you are right... But please refrain from using phrases from former GA announcers.. It tends to give me diarrhea

Reactions: 19 people
And GA we need to get them at home. Also need to continue to beat SC Vandy and KY. If we can get your 3 my 4 and the 4 OOC games then TN should be in good shape!

Especially Georgia because it was Larry Munson, the GA play by play ahole who coined the phrase in the first place. Living in GA, I get tired of hearing that garbage.

I hope you are right... But please refrain from using phrases from former GA announcers.. It tends to give me diarrhea

Not to mention that Munson was a horrible announcer. Any play byplay guy who constantly says stuff like "and then we move the ball down to their 20" ...."and then we stop their guy from getting into the endzone". I can't stand that type of homerism from the guy that's supposed to be the voice of your program. Completely unprofessional and just not very good IMHO.

Reactions: 1 person
Speaking of a hobnail boot, I hope we kick the crap out of those 3 and UGa with that crappy hobnail boot!

I knew that someday that damned hobnail boot nightmare would return.

This year we need to return the favor.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Especially Georgia because it was Larry Munson, the GA play by play ahole who coined the phrase in the first place. Living in GA, I get tired of hearing that garbage.

I hate that phrase with a passion! It was stupid and nonsensical when he said it and the only thing worse is having to hear it over and over.

But......when Jalen Hurd trucks a GA linebacker on his way to the endzone this year, I will echo it loudly in revenge.

Wtf is a hobnail boot?

"In footwear, a hobnail is a short nail with a thick head used to increase the durability of boot soles.

Hobnailed boots (known in Scotland as "tackety boots") are boots with hobnails (nails inserted into the soles of the boots), usually installed in a regular pattern, over the sole. They also usually have an iron horseshoe-shaped insert, called a heel iron, to strengthen the heel, and an iron toe-piece. The hobnails project below the sole and provide traction on soft or rocky ground and snow, but they tend to slide on smooth hard surfaces. They may also have steel toecaps."

Reactions: 3 people
"In footwear, a hobnail is a short nail with a thick head used to increase the durability of boot soles.

Hobnailed boots (known in Scotland as "tackety boots") are boots with hobnails (nails inserted into the soles of the boots), usually installed in a regular pattern, over the sole. They also usually have an iron horseshoe-shaped insert, called a heel iron, to strengthen the heel, and an iron toe-piece. The hobnails project below the sole and provide traction on soft or rocky ground and snow, but they tend to slide on smooth hard surfaces. They may also have steel toecaps."

I feel smarter now. Do I look smarter? 'Cause I sure do feel smarter.

You're quite the cobbling expert

I live in Georgia, I hate hearing the phrase "hobnail boot", though I agree with you.

It was a misdirection play on my part since GA doesn't feature in the "must win" category.

If we lose to Bama, GA, and OK it will be a tremendous year, an important year.

But we have to beat Florida, Arkansas, and Mizzou and beat them soundly. Those are must wins.

We made a ton of special teams mistakes back in those days, and the end of the Hobnail Boot game was just another glaring example.

Travis had just taken it to the house, and 48 seconds remained. Instead of kicking it deep and making GA go 70-80 yards, we squib-kick it and GA started from midfield. There was the ballgame...

Not to mention that Munson was a horrible announcer. Any play byplay guy who constantly says stuff like "and then we move the ball down to their 20" ...."and then we stop their guy from getting into the endzone". I can't stand that type of homerism from the guy that's supposed to be the voice of your program. Completely unprofessional and just not very good IMHO.

John Ward says hi. Ward, Eli Gold, Munson were great. Wes Durham is wasting his talent at GT but is of the same clothe.

VN Store

Back