Big Charles working his way back

kamoshika

After practice ended on Tuesday, and as players begun sauntering over towards the media for interviews, defensive line coach Steve Stripling had his thin group going through some extra drills.

Defensive tackle “Big Charles” Mosley certainly wasn’t first going through some take-off drills. He was near the back of the line, struggling to get out of his stance a bit and clearly dealing with a fuel level close to empty after a two-hour plus practice.

But the fact that he’s even at that point is, in a sense, remarkable. Nine months earlier he was recovering from a car accident that he was fortunate to limp away from with only a broken tibia. A serious injury to some extent, but a far better outcome than what might’ve been if circumstances had been just a touch different.

Still, getting in football shape is a huge challenge for any 370-ish pound player, but much more so coming off a broken bone and the ensuing surgery. That’s the challenge this spring for Mosley as he gets his first look on the defensive side of the ball. And it’s certainly going to be a work in progress for the Brighton, Tenn., redshirt freshman, but coaches are encouraged by what they’ve seen, even if there’s been some struggle along the way.

Big Charles Works His Way Back | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 20 people
Hope he makes a big name for himself while he's with us.

Reactions: 2 people
Hope he makes it back... I'm pulling for Bid C to make a big impact .. If not on D maybe O -line..

Reactions: 8 people
I do not know how to post on twitter,but, this is to you Charles-we are all very proud of what you have been able to accomplish in your rehab so far.How are your other family members who were in the accident doing?We at vol nation wish all of them a full recovery and all the best from now on.You keep pushing"big man" from another big man GBO.

Reactions: 6 people
Here's his rep against Austin Sanders in the circle of life drill.

Poor Austin Sanders. :popcorn:

Watch out for Austin Sanders this year. He has put some serious time into the weight room and will push for a rotational spot.

Big Charles just needs to keep grinding. In time he will be able to help this team on the field.
I just want the kid to stay healthy through this comeback, so he can compete with his fellow teammates everyday.

It sucks not being able to practice when you want to prove yourself.

Reactions: 1 person
I really hope people aren't hard on Charles. He wasn't able to condition as recently as just 3 or 4 weeks ago and is practicing against guys that played an entire SEC schedule last year. Given time he will be a terror, but fighting through cramps and fatigue isn't easy for anybody.

Reactions: 8 people
Really like this kid! Anyone remember his haircut when he committed here? Definitely could tell he was All-Vol and excited about coming here. I have no doubt this young man will make his way onto the field in time, as he continues to get back into football shape. Anyone that's ever been through a serious conditioning program for any sport knows how tough it can be, and I'm sure it's even tougher being a big ole lineman trying to get back into shape, but judging from this article, it seems like he is really putting in the work and giving his all for the team. That's all you can ask from any player. Give this guy time, and I believe he will be an impact player for us either on the defensive or offensive line. Best of luck to the big man! Keep grinding

Reactions: 3 people
He has a bright future for us, but I still think he's a year away from being a true difference maker.

Doesn't he remind you of Dan Williams? DW came in pretty raw and plump. Didn't contribute much the fisrt year or 2. Worked his way into a 1st rd NFL draft pick. Don't think CM is gifted with the same foot speed as DW but there's always a need for really big and really strong!

Reactions: 3 people
After seeing the pic of the wreck it's a miracle people weren't killed.

I'm amazed that big man only had a broken leg.

Broken leg really set him back in weight training and conditioning so it's a big plus that he's even back out their working to get things back on the right track.

I still believe he'll become a great lineman and fan favorite for us in the next year or so.

Best of luck to you big fellow!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Just keep pushing big guy, Faster , Stronger, Leaner, Quicker, Meaner, and refusing to lose ever!!!

We could REALLY use Big Charles this year. I hope they leave him right where he is and at least bring him in on short yardage situations, right next to K-Mac. There won't be any way an offense can run between the tackles with those two Oak Trees planted in the middle.

It's truly incredible to see a guy experience an injury that severe and be out practicing Division 1 football less than a year later. I really hope that he is able to continue progressing rapidly and contribute this year.

In the event that he just can't get into the necessary form for the fall, would he be allowed to have a medical redshirt last year and a normal redshirt this year? Anyone know how that would work? That would make him the biggest, baddest redshirt freshman in the country next year.

VN Store

Back