The hype train and recruiting

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
I was thinking about this today, Butch has done an outstanding job landing wuality recruits with little to show by way of wins. With this year looking to be when we turn the corn in the W/L column I think it's possible we lock ourselves in for the next couple years as a top 3 recruiting school especially if we pull a SECCG appearance this year.

Reactions: 1 person
He has just about maximized the hype that you can generate from A) being a new coach and working tirelessly and B) Showing slight improvement on the field and winning a bowl game.

Anything less than 8 wins this year will hurt recruiting. Any more than 9 wins will boost it significantly.

Reactions: 7 people
I was thinking about this today, Butch has done an outstanding job landing wuality recruits with little to show by way of wins. With this year looking to be when we turn the corn in the W/L column I think it's possible we lock ourselves in for the next couple years as a top 3 recruiting school especially if we pull a SECCG appearance this year.

Do7f5FP.gif

Reactions: 24 people

There's an inherent tension between Butch Jones' two primary recruiting pitches: (1) we're desperately thin and early playing time is available at almost every position, and (2) we're an elite program on the rise that will be contending for championships again soon. Butch did a great job selling both concepts to assemble the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, but now it's becoming harder and harder to make the first pitch with a straight face. He's still trying to have his cake and eat it too though - every press conference he emphasizes how we're limited by our lack of depth, how we're "nowhere near where we should be" at certain positions, etc., but it's becoming harder and harder to escape the fact that we have a stacked roster with some of the best offensive skill players and defensive lineman in the country.

Eventually, Butch is going to drop the "lack of depth" narrative and embrace the role of being the perennial SEC East favorite. This means that future recruiting classes will be smaller, but hopefully top-heavy with elite prospects who want to win championships.

Reactions: 2 people
We have to get to the Bama level of recruiting. We have facilities equal to theirs, so it comes down to the pitch. Saban pretty much says "come here for 4-5 years and you'll at least get an SEC championship, maybe a natty, and a shot at the NFL, probably a high round pick."

Butch needs to be very competitive this year to keep the recruiting going strong. We've had a lot of turnover from guys that came here to start early but didn't get starting spots.

He has just about maximized the hype that you can generate from A) being a new coach and working tirelessly and B) Showing slight improvement on the field and winning a bowl game.

Anything less than 8 wins this year will hurt recruiting. Any more than 9 wins will boost it significantly.

I agree and it looks like with the seemingly slower start with the 2016 recruiting class (comparitavely speaking after the last 2 classes), It looks like a lot of recruits are taking a "wait and see" approach with this class as opposed to the last two classes.

Personally I think the floor for this season needs to be 8 regular season wins and an impressive bowl performance.

We got a real shot at being really good this year. Next year we will be nothing short of deadly.

If Coach Jones and staff want to play the "improvement card" for the next recruiting class, get the win at florida.

Personally, I like wuality corn. Butch might be a victim of his recruiting success. Higher classes equal higher expectations. He has signed 85 players, time to put up the results on the field.

Edit: are you Cody from Cleveland?

I agree and it looks like with the seemingly slower start with the 2016 recruiting class (comparitavely speaking after the last 2 classes), It looks like a lot of recruits are taking a "wait and see" approach with this class as opposed to the last two classes.

Personally I think the floor for this season needs to be 8 regular season wins and an impressive bowl performance.

Yeh . I think this season will either throw a wrench in the gears of our future classes for a few years, or slingshot it to the top. They know we have the pieces to make some noise. Now they want to see it translate into something other than more excuses and static.

Yeh . I think this season will either throw a wrench in the gears of our future classes for a few years, or slingshot it to the top. They know we have the pieces to make some noise. Now they want to see it translate into something other than more excuses and static.

Look, you must have not seen the guy with corn in the drill since you are going on about other things..

Look, you must have not seen the guy with corn in the drill since you are going on about other things..

I have an issue though.. he has it in reverse and it's a keyless chuck. So if it gets a bit caught up or he puts his hand on the end the chuck will stop and the corn will fall out of the end. Anyone else ?

I'm feeling a little Home Depot'ish in this thread. Anyone else? Need to go buy me some power tools after work today....

The slow start to 2016 is because we will be having a smaller class. I think we are being more choosy early on, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks, Nostradamus. There is absolutely no factual basis for your assertions.

Reactions: 2 people

The slower start has more to do with being picky due to limited numbers imo.

Regardless of how many games we win this season I don't think the next class will be as strong as the last two were. We don't have as many schollies to give and we just didn't begin with a lead for as many elite players...and I still keep waiting for this correlation of disappointing losses to poor recruiting that VN is so obsessed with. After the Florida loss last year that was all this place wanted to talk about. There would be mass defections and our class would turn to crap.

VN Store

Back