Calling All SEC Experts: Cautious optimism regarding #team119

kyoon2

Team 119 has been a popular pick to win the East by people outside Volnation for the first time in nearly a decade. This trend has made me a happier person, and TN Football is all I can talk about these days.

However, I would like to respectfully ask you guys for reasons why our team might fail to meet the gaudy expectation it rightfully generated. This is not a covert attempt to be a negavol or stir the pot; I am simply seeking exposure to logical and rational threats to our beloved team to countervail my uncontrollable excitement and expectation.

I am not looking for meritless information (such as Nick Chubb for Georgia... or any other "buzz word" that gets repeated) written by unmindful writers. To put it differently, I am looking for detailed and insightful information, such as match up analysis (like, idk, how a specific corner will match up against a specific WR), to develop an analytical perspective.

I apologize in advance if I've wasted your time with this post; I don't post here often and have yet to get a firm grasp on the concept of a public forum. Additionally, if anyone knows where I can find anything close to what I've requested, I would really appreciate it.

Reactions: 2 people
You're searching for reasons not to be optimistic?
I don't have any because there's no point in over-analyzing our expectations.

Our opponents have just as many question marks as we do and in most cases more. There's going to be a lot of new QB faces in the sec next season so us having an established one is a big boon for us.

If you want a reason to temper your expectations though, think of Florida 2 years ago. From a feared nasty defense to a dumpster fire in a huge hurry due to a string of injuries to critical players. We could theoretical have something like that happen to us, but it could just as likely happen to any of our opponents. Just a luck of the dice.

Reactions: 1 person
This is football. Anything can happen. Even Ohio State, who returns practically everyone from their national title team, could lose their division next year. Rather than looking for reasons to not be optimistic, how about just enjoying this ride.

1. Oklahoma and Bob Stoops are always dangerous, particularly early in the year. Their running game will be potent, and will test our formidable but fresh new D. This is gonna be a brawl. We get them in Neyland, so our chances of a W are good, but it could go the other way. This is the bellweather game of the year; if we should lose it, losses to Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, and Alabama become more likely.

2. Florida, Georgia, and Alabama all have equal or better talent, on paper. On top of that, Florida and Alabama are away games for us. On top of that, Georgia and Alabama have proven head coaches who know how to call an excellent game. Given all these challenges, it would be unlikely to win all three; and all too possible to lose all three. Most likely is we split them 2-1 or 1-2, but if we should lose all three, our chances at the SEC-East drop to near zero.

3. Upset alert: you gotta like our chances against Arkansas, Missouri, and South Carolina this year, but any one of those could be an upset. Spurrier is always dangerous, Arkansas is surging just like Tennessee, and Mizzou...well, they defy the odds year in and year out.

There you go, three Debbie Downer paragraphs outlining ways Team 119's season could have a wheel come off and lurch into the ditch. I don't believe we'll have any of those problems, I think Team 119 is destined for more than 8-4, but you asked.

From this point on, every year is a potential championship year. Go Vols!

p.s. I'm far from an SEC expert, just a dude who loves the Vols and pays attention. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
This is football. Anything can happen. Even Ohio State, who returns practically everyone from their national title team, could lose their division next year. Rather than looking for reasons to not be optimistic, how about just enjoying this ride.

I know that. I specifically asked for no bogus answers like this. I mentioned that I want to be logical and analytical- which implies that I am not trying to be pessimistic, but searching for empirical evidence to have a realistic prediction/expectation. In addition to all that, I specified that I am also very optimistic.

I know that. I specifically asked for no bogus answers like this. I mentioned that I want to be logical and analytical- which implies that I am not trying to be pessimistic, but searching for empirical evidence to have a realistic prediction/expectation. In addition to all that, I specified that I am also very optimistic.
NO SOUP FOR YOU Dobbs 4 Heisman

Reactions: 3 people
An injury to Dobbs and all bets are off. Multiple injuries at the RB position would be problematic, too.

The offensive line is still a major work in progress.

Dobbs is still very inconsistent with many of his throws. His accuracy needs to improve.

There is a lack of depth at RB, and CB, and QB.

There is no replacement for experience, this team while very talented needs more experience.

We haven't beat UF in 10 years, and the Vols were clearly a better team last season. They gave UT every chance to win that game but the Vols couldn't make a play at the end of the game to win it. Playing them in the Swamp this season will be much more difficult and until UT gets that monkey of their back this program isn't going anywhere.

Bama in Title Town, that's all I'm saying about that.

UT has lost too many close games the last few seasons, and until they learn how to win more of these close games this program is dead in the water.

The SEC schedule isn't easy and adding another top 25 traditional power in Oklahoma isn't good, but at least UT gets them in Neyland this season.

The Vols must take back Neyland Stadium, teams don't fear it anymore, and until they do, Tennesssee won't be back. When was the last time UT had an undefeated record in Neyland? Going undefeated at home will go along way to winning the East, and getting to the SECCG.

Last edited:
1. Oklahoma and Bob Stoops are always dangerous, particularly early in the year. Their running game will be potent, and will test our formidable but fresh new D. This is gonna be a brawl. We get them in Neyland, so our chances of a W are good, but it could go the other way. This is the bellweather game of the year; if we should lose it, losses to Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, and Alabama become more likely.

2. Florida, Georgia, and Alabama all have equal or better talent, on paper. On top of that, Florida and Alabama are away games for us. On top of that, Georgia and Alabama have proven head coaches who know how to call an excellent game. Given all these challenges, it would be unlikely to win all three; and all too possible to lose all three. Most likely is we split them 2-1 or 1-2, but if we should lose all three, our chances at the SEC-East drop to near zero.

3. Upset alert: you gotta like our chances against Arkansas, Missouri, and South Carolina this year, but any one of those could be an upset. Spurrier is always dangerous, Arkansas is surging just like Tennessee, and Mizzou...well, they defy the odds year in and year out.

There you go, three Debbie Downer paragraphs outlining ways Team 119's season could have a wheel come off and lurch into the ditch. I don't believe we'll have any of those problems, I think Team 119 is destined for more than 8-4, but you asked.

p.s. I'm far from an SEC expert, just a dude who loves the Vols and pays attention. :)

Now that is all the OP needs to be rational and realistic.

The 8-4 record although not a desired result is just as much a possibility as a 10-2. Also injuries will always be a factor and depth is also a key to success.

To expect either is an expectation that would cause much pain for some if not accomplished. One day and one game at a time.

And you didn't even get into the Injury aspect of it

They're down to 6 scholarship OL this Spring. Florida offensive tackle out indefinitely

Six.

Seis.

Their QB didn't even complete 50% of his passes in his final 4 games.

In all honesty, the only group I would say is more talented from Florida over Tennessee is CB and VH3/Tabor are probably the best 2 CB tandem in the SEC... perhaps all of CFB.

This "Florida is more talented" crap has to stop.

Reactions: 5 people
And you didn't even get into the Injury aspect of it

Yeah, you're right. Depending on when it happens, a Dobbs injury could hurt us significantly. The longer the season goes with Josh healthy, the more of the tougher games we put in our rearview mirror...and the more time our backup QB has to improve. Make it through October with Josh, and this risk begins to diminish quite a bit, I think. So call an early- or mid-season Dobbs injury scenario #4 on top of the 3 listed.

Losing Hurd or Kamara would hurt as well, but not nearly as badly as losing Dobbs.

They're down to 6 scholarship OL this Spring.

Their QB didn't even complete 50% of his passes in his final 4 games.

In all honesty, the only group I would say is more talented from Florida over Tennessee is CB and VH3/Tabor are probably the best 2 CB tandem in the SEC... perhaps all of CFB.

This "Florida is more talented" crap has to stop.

Hopefully DAJ will pop in here at some point to explain the stats behind saying Florida is just as talented as Tennessee on paper. I'm not as smart as DAJ, but I do trust him when he tells us it's a fact.

Ok, got it, their OLine has little depth and they're looking for a QB. Remember last year's game, when they beat us 10-9? They didn't need a potent offense to do that. They won by smothering us with their D, and then getting some fortuitous scores. They could do that again. I don't think they will, but keep in mind--the game IS in the Swamp, that's a touchdown or so advantage to them right off the bat.

Don't go putting the Florida game in the win column so easily. I think we'll win it, but it's gonna be a challenge.

Last edited:
Obviously you guys missed the BR thread about us winning it all.

Obviously you guys missed the BR thread about us winning it all.

Heh, we're just trying to help KYoon temper his expectations, because he asked us to. From this point on, every year is a potential championship run for the Vols. :)

Heh, we're just trying to help KYoon temper his expectations, because he asked us to. From this point on, every year is a potential championship run for the Vols. :)

I know, I just being silly!

Beating OU and/or Florida would be huge for this team. IMO, to get to 10 wins we must start fast.

Lack of depth at QB and RB are biggest concerns. I hope they are teaching Dobbs how to run out of bounds and slide! IMO keeping him healthy is the single most important factor to a "successful " season.

Offensive line was so bad last year, I can't imagine them all of a sudden being one of the better units in the conference.

We don't have anyone on the roster who has experienced a win over Bama, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, or Arkansas.

We have had a starting QB get injured the past few seasons. If that happens this year, we will have to go with a true Freshman. In the SEC. Ouch.

The vast majority of our roster consists of sophomores and freshman.

These are all the reasons I can think of to be cautious in our optimism.

Team 119 has been a popular pick to win the East by people outside Volnation for the first time in nearly a decade. This trend has made me a happier person, and TN Football is all I can talk about these days.

However, I would like to respectfully ask you guys for reasons why our team might fail to meet the gaudy expectation it rightfully generated. This is not a covert attempt to be a negavol or stir the pot; I am simply seeking exposure to logical and rational threats to our beloved team to countervail my uncontrollable excitement and expectation.

I am not looking for meritless information (such as Nick Chubb for Georgia... or any other "buzz word" that gets repeated) written by unmindful writers. To put it differently, I am looking for detailed and insightful information, such as match up analysis (like, idk, how a specific corner will match up against a specific WR), to develop an analytical perspective.

I apologize in advance if I've wasted your time with this post; I don't post here often and have yet to get a firm grasp on the concept of a public forum. Additionally, if anyone knows where I can find anything close to what I've requested, I would really appreciate it.

It would seem on paper that Tennessee has the players to compete with the other top teams in the SECE. So, with that said, its time to end the losing streaks against Georgia, Florida and Missouri and play tough against USCe, Arky, Bama and OCC OU.

The first key is to see how all the parts function against a good Oklahoma team at home...we need to stop losing home games.

We then need to go to the swamp and beat the Gators...we have a better team than them and should not lose this year...need to start our own streak...

We have lost to UGA by 3 points the last two years...we should have probably won both games. So, we are not too far away from beating them ... especially at home.

Arkansas will be tough...but I believe we can stop their running game and outscore them with our offense.

Bama will be Bama...we are getting close and it should be a great game.

USCe is really not on the same level anymore with the Vols and a third win in a row should not be a surprise.

Kentucky will be tougher on their pitch, but there is really no comparison to the two teams. Tennessee is much stronger...

That really leaves Mizzou...we haven't beaten them yet although in our first meeting we should have never let that game go to OT...On paper we are better but we have to play in Columbia in the cold weather so it will be another tough battle.

The games with BGSU, WC, NT and Vandy should be solid wins...

As most people are projecting it should be no worse than 8-4 but more likely 9-3 if things fall right. The key game of the season...as always...is Florida...with Bama second.

Looking forward to seeing the improvement in OL and RB as well as entire D thanks to the projected play of the DL. :good!:

I don't know if I would write off the Bama game so fast. They will have a new QB and we have a bye before that game. They play the ever dangerous Texas A&M before us. That bye week will be huge

Biggest concern I have in order
WR's have yet to show they can stay healthy and be consistent
Oline is still unproven and while the depth has gotten better the depth has no expereince so injuries could cause problems.
RB's a little worried that there really is only 1 we have seen perform. Kamara looks like he is more than a safe bet to be good but he still hasnt played. Injuries would hurt here too.
LB's lot of talent not a lot of snaps in the 2 deep though

VN Store

Back