Vols Practice - 4/07

Love this bit on Tuttle:

In pass-protection reps in the red zone...once again, it was Shy Tuttle who stole the show in his one-on-one match with fellow newcomer Chance Hall. Hall was lined up at guard against Tuttle, but it was almost as if he wasn’t there at all. Tuttle used his size and strength to bull-rush Hall and drove him backwards into the quarterback, resulting in a sack and a decisive victory for Tuttle, who continues to impress with his explosion, strength and nasty attitude between whistles.

Reactions: 23 people
3539582.jpg

3539584.jpg

3539591.jpg

2. NO KAMARA. This probably will cause everyone to freak out until the second it’s clarified, but in reality it’s almost certainly not a big deal. But … January running back enrollee Alvin Kamara — arguably Tennessee’s best offensive player so far this spring — was not on the practice field Tuesday. Kamara had issues with an ankle last week and played through it for a couple of practice, so perhaps that’s the reason for the absence. Regardless, he wasn’t out there Tuesday, and it’s virtually certain that Jones will be asked about that early during his post-practice media availability.

4. ONE-ON-ONE BATTLES. A rare one-on-one drill open to reporters and not embargoed for reporting occurred on Tuesday, and we have an opportunity to pass along some information. Arguably the highlight of the period came on a tremendous one-handed juggling catch from rising sophomore tight end Ethan Wolf in the corner of the end zone to beat rising junior linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin for a touchdown. Second place probably should go to rising senior receiver Pig Howard for beating rising junior cornerback Cameron Sutton in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown. Rising sophomore wide receiver Josh Malone was put in a one-on-one battle with rising junior cornerback Malik Foreman, but Joshua Dobbs overthrew the pass. There also seemed to be some spirited one-one-one pass-rushing and pass-protection drills, but the team tends to form a tight circle around the combatants in that drill (just like during the Circle of Life Drill), so it’s virtually impossible to see who wins and loses.

-Owen Williams back
-Preston Williams visited practice

-Rucker

BERRY: I have always been motivated. I continue to develop as a football player. Spring has been very important. http://t.co/z4g1NKmnbp
HURD: its been a good time to be a leader this spring. I'm trying to be the best leader I can be.
HURD: @A_kamara6 & Sparks are doing an amazing job. We have some packages where we can be in the game the same time. We feed off each other
HURD: I have put on some strength and I haven't lost any speed.
HURD: @josh_dobbs1 is a great leader, he's taking command of the field.
HURD: @UTCoachDeBo brings a swag and energy to our offense.

Evan Berry said brother Eric doing well. Says he has about three treatments left. Said he was never worried "because (Eric) wasn't worried"
-Grant Ramey

The drill started with Dontavius Blair going against LaTroy Lewis with what appeared to be a win for Blair. Blair and Dimarya Mixon went against each other in a third-down pass rush rep and Blair won that matchup as well.

Talk about it in The General's Quarters
In other Circle of Life matchups, Brett Kendrick held his own against Mixon. Evan Berry and A.J. Branisel battled. Josh Malone got the best of freshman Stephen Griffin, Charles Moseley and Austin Sanders appeared to be a stalemate. Jack Jones held his own in a big battle with Shy Tuttle and Colton Jumper appeared to beat Gavin Bryant.

In the other pass rush matchups, Tuttle dominated someone in the offensive interior and Jack Jones won his match up against Lewis.

Jones also pitted his skill guys in one-on-ones at the 5-yard line going into the end zone. Malik Foreman and Josh Malone matched up on a ball that was incomplete and not catchable for Malone. Jones matched Jalen Reeves-Maybin against Ethan Wolf in what he called a "special request." Wolf made a great catch on the play. The final matchup was Pig Howard against Cam Sutton. Howard made the catch but appeared to be nudged out of bounds thanks to great coverage by Sutton.

On the injury front, running back Alvin Kamara did not practice. Kamara is dealing with a thigh bruise and a bit of a tender ankle.
-VQ

-- Offensive tackle Coleman Thomas, who was arraigned Monday on a felony theft charge after being arrested March 25, was also not present at practice. Cornerback Emmanel Moseley (mononucleosis) remains out as well.

-- Senior linebacker Chris Weatherd practiced with a hard cast on his left hand and wrist.

Tennessee's first team converted its first two-point conversion with a pass from quarterback Josh Dobbs to receiver Von Pearson.

-- The Vols also ran one-on-one goalline drills. Tight end Ethan Wolf caught a touchdown pass over linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin. Alton "Pig" Howard caught a pass over cornerback Cameron Sutton but appeared to land out of bounds. The other goal-line drills were run closer to the ball between pass-rushers and pass protectors, and players gathered around to obscure the view from the media.

-Dustin Dopriak

Live press conference: https://www.periscope.tv/w/VwWRuDE3MDk5fDMwNjU0OTXQeFGfWI3ZsqHOrpMAWC1mNLFbcE3yofBWprYdUVYhkg==

JONES: I thought it was an extremely productive day. We covered a lot of situational football.
JONES: I thought @josh_dobbs1 had one of his best days of the spring.
JONES: I think our mentality has improved throughout the spring. Our QBs have improved greatly.
JONES: @UTCoachDeBo has done a great job of refining the details of our quarterback play.
JONES: @aSuperManDoe (Evan Berry) is playing with a lot of confidence, a high level of consistency. He's playing with great explosiveness.
JONES: We motivate Medley everyday. But he is motivated internally. We have worked on his length & he has added much-needed strength.
JONES: @DreadHead_Vick (Kendall Vickers) really stepped up today.
JONES: We haven't had the luxury of getting in our dime package due to the shortage of DBs. We're still working on that position.
JONES: Everything is about trust in our football identity and we want to play as many players as we can possibly play.
JONES: I've been very encouraged by the play of @DreadHead_Vick (Kendall Vickers) and @KingTut_90 (Shy Tuttle). They are gaining valuable reps.
JONES: I give @BigCharless (Charles Moseley) a lot of credit. He gives everything he has everyday. I do see him progressing.

Jones said Corey Vereen had surgery and is out the rest of the spring.
-Dustin Dopriak

Butch says when fr. LB Darrin Kirkland was tested in the Thornton Center was discovered he has a photographic memory. Handy for film study.
-Rob Lewis

Butch Jones "encouraged" by play of Charles Mosley. Said he's probably 60-70 percent healthy after breaking leg last years. Seeing glimpses.
-Grant Ramey

VQ Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/124351492

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
I know that they are highlights, and that they are throwing to wide open receivers, but the throws on the RTI video look impressive.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice to hear.

Circle of Life: As they often do, the Vols started practice with the Circle of Life drill. Jones called out junior tackle Dontavius Blair immediately to face defensive end LaTroy Lewis. It was a decent rep for Blair, who battled Lewis to a stalemate. Blair later got a chance to go against Dimarya Mixon in a one-on-one pass-blocking drill and had a great rep, completely stopping Mixon and directing him around the back of the pocket.

Reactions: 6 people
The Kamara thing scared me. Thought they were going to say it was a clearing house issue.

I can't wait until these guys open up their abilities on our opponents.

What Shy lacks in athleticism, he seems to make up in explosiveness. Luckily, his conditioning will only improve.

I hate that Vereen is done for the spring. Good to hear positives about names like Vickers, Blair, etc.

Reactions: 4 people
Wish it were true. But it aint, sorry ... "Turner" it appears.

Attachments

• TurnerOrPaulk.jpg
    TurnerOrPaulk.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 1 person
I know that they are highlights, and that they are throwing to wide open receivers, but the throws on the RTI video look impressive.

Yes. I remember this time last year I was cringing at the practice videos because passes were making the receivers come back to the ball just to catch it. Dobbs is throwing some awesome passes this spring.

Reactions: 2 people
HURD: @A_kamara6 & Sparks are doing an amazing job. We have some packages where we can be in the game the same time. We feed off each other
HURD: I have put on some strength and I haven't lost any speed.

Oh baby, the thought of Hurd and Kamara in the same backfield along with Dobbs, and add in wr combinations that could include North, Pig, Pearson, Malone, J. Smith, P. Williams, and Wolf and/or Ellis at TE makes me really, really happy.

Oh baby, the thought of Hurd and Kamara in the same backfield along with Dobbs, and add in wr combinations that could include North, Pig, Pearson, Malone, J. Smith, P. Williams, and Wolf and/or Ellis at TE makes me really, really happy.

DeBord walked into an absolutely stacked offense.

Reactions: 4 people
What Shy lacks in athleticism, he seems to make up in explosiveness. Luckily, his conditioning will only improve.

I hate that Vereen is done for the spring. Good to hear positives about names like Vickers, Blair, etc.

Doesn't his explosiveness help define his athleticism? With all due respect, aren't explosive guys typically very athletic? Apologies if I misunderstood your point.

Reactions: 11 people
Doesn't his explosiveness help define his athleticism? With all due respect, aren't explosive guys typically very athletic? Apologies if I misunderstood your point.

I'd say anyone who can take 300+ pounds and accelerate it fast enough to knock an opponent back on his heels, enough to make people call him "explosive," is showing some athleticism. :)

Reactions: 7 people

My post was confusing. What I meant to say is that he needs to work on his footwork and conditioning. The one strong element of his athleticism is his explosiveness.

Sometimes words are hard.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back