Dobbs, Kamara reuniting in Vols' backfield

kamoshika

Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara shared a backfield long before they wound up together at Tennessee.

The relationship between the starting quarterback and junior college transfer running back, who's been the key story for the Volunteers since he arrived in January, actually goes back about a decade. They came up through separate middle school football feeder systems in the Atlanta area and played against each other for three years.

After Tennessee's scrimmage Saturday at Neyland Stadium, Dobbs recalled one of their encounters as eighth-graders, when he was a blocker on his team's punt shield and Kamara was rushing off the edge trying to block it.

"I gave him a nice little block," the rising junior quarterback said. "We've always been competing since we were young, but it's always great to see a familiar face in the backfield, someone you've played with and played against, someone that you know very well. It's definitely great to have him up here."

Reactions: 5 people
Josh Dobbs and Alvin Kamara shared a backfield long before they wound up together at Tennessee.

The relationship between the starting quarterback and junior college transfer running back, who's been the key story for the Volunteers since he arrived in January, actually goes back about a decade. They came up through separate middle school football feeder systems in the Atlanta area and played against each other for three years.

After Tennessee's scrimmage Saturday at Neyland Stadium, Dobbs recalled one of their encounters as eighth-graders, when he was a blocker on his team's punt shield and Kamara was rushing off the edge trying to block it.

"I gave him a nice little block," the rising junior quarterback said. "We've always been competing since we were young, but it's always great to see a familiar face in the backfield, someone you've played with and played against, someone that you know very well. It's definitely great to have him up here."

It's great to have them on the same team

Nice.

Tennessee not only landed a home run threat in the backfield, but they also boosted the morale of our starting QB.

Double win.

Reactions: 1 person
Did I miss something? Did the article tell us when/where they played together?

It said separate middle school systems in Atlanta. Played against each other for three years.

The entire article continually implies they've played together. He even said something about someone you've played "with and against".

I'm confused.

The entire article continually implies they've played together. He even said something about someone you've played "with and against".

Quote from the article: "They were, however, on the same team for an all-star game for the top juniors in Georgia in 2012."

I had a feeling that Kamara might be good enough to take over the starting position at tailback despite Hurds ability. It seems like Kamara is moving in that direction.

I had a feeling that Kamara might be good enough to take over the starting position at tailback despite Hurds ability. It seems like Kamara is moving in that direction.

Think of UGA last year with Gurley and Chubb alternating in the backfield.

Probably a more appropriate way to list such a dynamic duo of RBs is "featured backs." They'll both need to stay healthy for SEC play. I wish Kelly & Perry could've EEd. Sparks (soph) & Beck (senior) need to overachieve. Maybe Micah Abernathy's brother (transfer from Cincinnati) will privide some depth, but more thunder & lightning need to come in for team 120. Reid should've stayed on board, plus Scott should've hung around. With the pace of this offense, UT can't have too many excellent RBs.

I think they will be 1a and 1b. Unless Kamara is Bo Jackson 2.0, Hurd will probably remain atop the depth chart even if Kamara gets more touches.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back