Defense Nickname?

CornfromJar

With all this positive talk regarding our defense... it just may warrant a nickname!

My suggestion...

Big Orange Wrecking Crew! or
Wrecking Crew (for short).

Hopefully, gone are the days of bend but don't break...
these guys are coming after your a$$. Not giving you an inch, won't make it to the 50, third down for what, gettin after it like a bunch crazed dogs, not playing around...
Wrecking Crew!

Suggestions?

haha... never been known to very original. just thought it personified their attitude.

That's also why I was wondering about other's suggestions... what's yours?

The Tennessee defense. I find the only good nicknames just come up in the moment, and aren't thought up ahead of time

Reactions: 9 people
PS
It's made from some mighty fine Bricks from Butch Jones.

And with Butch in charge it's only going to get stronger. Remember the viedo when Butch took over from Doolittle. He was running close to Pig Howard and yells I am 45 years old and in better shape than you. :eek:lol:

Reactions: 4 people
The Tennessee defense. I find the only good nicknames just come up in the moment, and aren't thought up ahead of time

Right? It could be something cutesy or whatever but sometimes it's the attitude of the defense or offense that earns the name. Like, you can't call them the "Sack Pack" if they don't sack a lot of people. Vol Wall's a good try but doesn't indicate anything about the D. Everyone'll want to make it about bricks because bricks. You could spend all offseason trying to make something out of bricklayers or masons or get all meta and reference the Wall from Game of Thrones with the Orange Watch or ... well, it's basically whatever someone says that happens to stick at the right time. I dunno. All it takes is one player saying "we took a big orange hammer to them" in a postgame interview and next thing you know it's the Orange Hammer all season. It's ephemeral and very hard to predict or force. Remember Fulmer and "The Rock"? That actually wasn't even a bad idea, but Fulmer tried to force it. Had he just started saying "the Rock" without asking the fans to do it, it would have stuck. I can almost guarantee it would have stuck. But such is the fickle life of nicknames. Probably not worth trying to coin in advance.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't try to name them before the season

Last couple years there are threads for our WR corps etc and they don't quite live up to the hype nor warrant a nickname. If we have an epic defense the names will follow based on the on field performance

VN Store

Back