Brian Randolph Media Session:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-TSHQolnM[/youtube]

Jashon Robertson Media Session:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJdDO9QSuFs[/youtube]

Rashaan Gaulden Media Session:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1bx9YXI-0[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
Rocky Top Insider @rockytopinsider
Austin Sanders started at LG today. “He’s worked very hard on playing low,” Jones said.

Jones on Dobbs: "Never too high, never too low. Very hungry, very eager and very driven. I think the biggest difference is confidence

Jones also said Ethan Wolf had his best practice of the spring. “Ethan continues to progress"

Jones said Kamara’s performance today came after spraining his ankle a few days ago.

Jones on if Kamara’s success has been expected: "It’s basically what we expected. What you see on video, is what you see in person"

Jones said the field is in its best shape at this time of year since he’s been here. Credited the “grow lights” they’ve been using.

Jones said Alvin Kamara and Evan Berry both stood out in today’s practice/scrimmage setting.

Jones: "The limited numbers we have this spring continues to reveal themselves."

Jones: (Today) was the first real opportunity for our players to play football without coaches on the field…live game situations

You're not a middle linebacker unless you have some blood on your forehead
cgiEBJNPPf

Alvin Kamara had about a 40-yard run in the scrimmage today. He credited the o-line, but he had some nice moves as well.

(*these are in reverse order, sorry*)

Reactions: 6 people
Dillon Bates Media Session:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVJcHI0yt8w[/youtube]

Dillon Bates with Dani Klupenger on Ask A Vol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5zZFLO3Ajk[/youtube]

Last edited:
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Team 119 made its debut at Neyland Stadium with the sixth practice of spring on Saturday afternoon.
"I thought it was another great day of teaching and learning for this football team, said head coach Butch Jones following the nearly two-hour session. "Good quality reps of playing football, situational football. It is really the first real opportunity that our players have really been able to play football without coaches on the field, live game situations and conditions."

With two weeks of spring ball under their belts, Jones continues to preach education to his young Volunteers.

"I thought a lot of great teaching lessons today," he said. "Still consistency and style of play, we are not there. Consistency and execution, long ways to go. You have to keep things in perspective right now."

Saturday's practiced marked the first this spring in which the Vols had a full SEC officiating crew on hand to create a more game-like setting.

"I thought our players did a very good job from a discipline standpoint with a full officiating crew," said Jones. "Very few penalties. The other thing, when you have the opportunity to play 11-on-11, is really the in game mechanics that go. The ball rule, lining up, where to spot the ball, all those nuances of learning how to play in your style of play."

JASHON ON THE SPOT

It doesn't matter where they put him on the field, he says. If it's a position, he'll play it.

Sophomore Jashon Robertson started in all 13 games at the right guard spot last season after switching from the defensive line. This spring, he has a new spot to learn: center.

"Since I've moved over to the offensive line, [Coach Mahoney] said you can't be a one trick pony," Robertson said. "You have guys like Kyler Kerbyson, Marcus Jackson and other guys that can play three, four, five positions. He's just increasing my knowledge of the game and volume in everything playing both guard and center."

With an open mind and more than willing attitude, Robertson has been taking reps at the center position alongside the likes of Mack Crowder.

"I played center when I was like seven years old," Robertson said. "I've enjoyed playing center very much. My reps are going to increase next week. I'm looking for

#VolReport: Team 119's Neyland Debut - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Reactions: 4 people
> Kamara, the former Alabama freshman, showed why everyone, from his teammates and coaches to others around the program, have been raving about his ability since he enrolled in January. On the first series for the first-team offense, Kamara took a handoff, found the edge and took off down the sideline.

The run probably went for about 30 yards and set up a goal-to-go situation, and Kamara punched it in on fourth-and-goal from inside the 1-yard line, though it looked like he'd scored on third down.

> Berry made two excellent plays on the first series for the second-teamers. He read a screen pass, darted toward the ball and finished it off with a hard hit that drew a reaction from his teammates on the sideline. Berry then snatched an interception while defending a tight end on a corner route.

Austin Sanders, the former Bradley Central High School standout, continues to get some first-team work at left guard. Marcus Jackson is the returning starter there, but he's out for the spring (shoulder). Dylan Wiesman began spring getting some work there, but he's now with the second group at center.

> The second-team offensive line includes Dontavius Blair at left tackle and an all-freshman right side of guard Chance Hall and tackle Jack Jones.

> Kenny Bynum continues to plug away at the second linebacker spot alongside Jalen Reeves-Maybin, and Gavin Bryant got some second-team work alongside Cortez McDowell.

> Freshman Shy Tuttle and Kendal Vickers were the first-team defensive tackles.

Tennessee football practice report: Vols work in Neyland | Local News | Times Free Press

UT

DOBBS: spring has gone well for the whole offense. We are really pushing tempo.

DOBBS: @UTCoachDeBo are on the same page. The relationship has grown since he arrived. We are pushing the tempo.

DOBBS: I'm very comfortable as a leader. That is my strong suit. It's definitely grown. I've always been myself, I've always been a leader.

DOBBS: Malone made some great plays today, had great day. He's matured even more. He's reading the Defenses.

DOBBS: I've known @A_kamara6 since 6th grade. He's a smart player. It was clear as day he would be good since he was young.

DOBBS: with more reps, it has helped me seeing more things on defense. Everytime I step on the field, I want to make the most of each rep

DOBBS: I have an internship with an aerospace company in West Palm Beach. They work on collecting data on military planes.

JONES: It was another great day of teaching and learning for this football team. Good quality reps. Live game situations and conditions.

JONES: We're not there yet ok consistency and style of play. Still a long ways to go.

JONES: Our players did a good job from a discipline standpoint with an SEC officiating crew. Not many penalties.

JONES: @A_kamara6 continues to show up with a workmanlike approach. Can make you miss. Good pass protection.

JONES: @aSuperManDoe showed out today at the safety position.

JONES: We strategically planned the calendar (around spring break). Everything is about momentum. We wanted a training camp style.

JONES: @A_kamara6 has been extremely productive for us and a great spokesperson for the culture we're trying to build here.

JONES: Depth is a real concern at RB. We need to co the to recruit and development that position.

JONES: The o-line continues to be a work in progress. We're focused on their development.

JONES: @aSuperManDoe has good days and some not so good. But he is extremely competitive. Today he played downhill.

JONES: @Bcountry18 continues to progress. He's added some strength and I like his mentality and his effort. Had his best performance today.

JONES: @josh_dobbs1 is never too high/low. Very consistent. Very driven. He's getting more reps and you can see his maturity and growth.

JONES: The curriculum that @josh_dobbs1 is in takes great effort. I do believe his academics help him on the field.

JONES: @ChrisWeatherd42 is a very explosive young man. Has an instinct to get to the QB.

JONES: @Randyboy37 knows the entire defense inside and out. Our players respect him. His mentorship is invaluable for us.

JONES: I see a big difference in the o-line from a mentality standpoint. It's a byproduct of @UTCoachMahoney & @UTCoachDeBo.

JONES: We have to be able to run the football, complete play action passes, and connect on the deep ball. That's how we play.

JONES: Going 11-on-11 in Neyland is a dress rehearsal for the coaches as well. Our tempo was pretty good all day.

Tailback Alvin Kamara had a run of about 40 yards on the first possession and then scored a touchdown from about a yard out, but the first team offense went three-and-out on its second drive. Quarterback Quinten Dormady threw an interception to safety Evan Berry on the second-team offense’s first drive, but it scored with a 40-yard field goal by kicker Aaron Medley on the second drive.

First Team Offense: QB-Joshua Dobbs. RB- Alvin Kamara. WR-Alton “Pig” Howard, Von Pearson, Cody Blanc. TE –Ethan Wolf, Joe Stocstill, A.J. Branisel. LT-Kyler Kerbyson. LG-Austin Sanders. C-Mack Crowder. RG-Jashon Robertson. RT-Brett Kendrick.

First Team Defense: DE- LaTroy Lewis, Dimarya Mixon. DT-Shy Tuttle, Kendall Vickers. MLB-Kenny Bynum. WLB-Jalen Reeves-Maybin. SLB-Chris Weatherd. NB-Rashaan Gaulden. CB-Cam Sutton, Malik Foreman. S-Brian Randolph, LaDarrell McNeil.

— Tennessee coach Butch Jones said he was particularly impressed with the play of both Kamara and Berry and said Kamara has been especially impressive all spring.
“Alvin continues to just show up, have a workman-like approach,” Jones said. “Run with very, very good pad level, be able to make you miss and also pass protection. He’s a very good back without the ball in his hands and a good back with the ball in his hands.”
Jones said Berry had a couple of interceptions and “played downhill.”

Vols give glimpse at depth chart in 11-on-11 work at Neyland - Vols Beat

Reactions: 3 people
The offense's biggest play came from the dynamic Kamara, who uncorked a nearly 45-yard run down the east sideline before being leveled on the boundary by Rashaan Gaulden. Kamara also easily dented the end zone on fourth-and-1, after appearing to score on the previous play.

Dobbs opened the first drive with a quick-strike pass to Blanc, who nearly picked up a first down.

With the second unit, Dontavius Blair was flagged for holding at his left tackle spot on the opening play. Evan Berry followed with a big hit and then also picked off Quinten Dormady with an acrobatic, leaping grab along the west sideline.

The first-team offense couldn't move in its second possession, with a Gaulden blitz on first down followed by Kamara's 4-yard run. Dobbs then nearly connected with Malone after a scramble but the ball slipped through Malone's hands while he also tried to tip-toe the boundary.

The second-team offense moved minimally before Aaron Medley capped things with a picture-perfect 40-yard field goal. Malone had earlier had a nice 9-yard catch-and-run play on first down from Dormady, and Sparks added a hard-charging 15-yard sprint to move into field goal position.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1753839

Reactions: 3 people
3. YES, WE WROTE ‘CODY BLANC’ EARLIER. Blanc continues to get some first-team reps over rising sophomores Josh Smith, Josh Malone and others, and that’s certainly been an interesting development. We’re not looking too much into that because it’s spring practice and Smith is coming back from an injury and clearly isn’t back to top form yet. In fairness to Blanc, though, with jumbo wide receivers Marquez North and Jason Croom held out of all contact, Blanc is arguably the biggest body and best perimeter blocker left in that group, so it makes sense to play him in certain situations. Say what you will about Blanc as a pass catcher, but he’s big and strong and very willing to block. He’s always been a team player in that regard.

5. GREEN TEAM, ETC. As usual, rising sophomore running back Jalen Hurd and rising junior wide receiver Marquez North were the only Vols spotted in green, limited-contact jerseys. Rising redshirt freshman center Ray Raulerson, rising redshirt freshman tight end Neiko Creamer and fifth-year senior walk-on running back Chris Beck worked on the side in “The Hole,” so obviously they’re a little dinged up, as well.

Rucker

Reactions: 5 people
Not a good time for Hurd to be sitting out with an injury. Every time I read the coaches points from practice they are absolutely going nuts over Kamara. Hurd might not get as much playing time as he would like if kamara keeps showing out.

Not a good time for Hurd to be sitting out with an injury. Every time I read the coaches points from practice they are absolutely going nuts over Kamara. Hurd might not get as much playing time as he would like if kamara keeps showing out.

Lol. Hurd will get plenty of time.

Reactions: 7 people
Very concerned at depth at RB. If one goes down before the season starts, it will put that much more preasure on our offense.

VN Store

Back