LaTroy Lewis volunteers to lead D-line

kamoshika

Leaner and stronger, Lewis is hopeful he can strengthen a spot where the Vols already are pretty strong when fully healthy.

"He's very intelligent," Stripling said. "He right now has accepted the leadership role because he's one of the older players in the group that's on the field, and he's embraced that role. Monday in the meeting, Coach (Butch Jones) said, 'Who's going to lead the D-line?' and LaTroy said, 'LaTroy Lewis is.'"

Vols defensive end Lewis embracing opportunity | Local News | Times Free Press

Reactions: 13 people
I'll say it. We are deeper at DE than any other team in the conference. And Weatherd is getting moved to DE, AND Phillips is coming in...

Glad to see Latroy hitting his stride in the program too, and he is a perfect example of why you never write off a young player. Some people just need time to develop, and I wish more of our fans would understand this concept.

Reactions: 1 person
Lewis, Vereen, and Weatherd. We have a ton of pass rushers.

I'll say it. We are deeper at DE than any other team in the conference. And Weatherd is getting moved to DE, AND Phillips is coming in...

Glad to see Latroy hitting his stride in the program too, and he is a perfect example of why you never write off a young player. Some people just need time to develop, and I wish more of our fans would understand this concept.
I played in college and really wasn't ready till my rs sophomore year.OL and Dl take more time because most incoming freshman are not close to being ready from a strength and conditioning stand point.That being said most of our fan base will never understand that and will continue to write off young players way to early.Nature of the beast I guess.

Reactions: 9 people
The number of positions that we lack quality depth at is quickly diminishing. Our defense has the potential to be special for the next few seasons

Reactions: 2 people
Good to hear he's stepping up as a leader. Every unit needs leaders - they are crucial in tight games, in the 4th quarter, and when you're behind, and when you're on the road.

See, here is an example of what it takes to have a solid program. A year ago, everyone is ready to cal, this kid a bust, waste of a scholly, etc...guys have to grow into this, it's not golf it's not tennis. It takes a lot of work to get to this point it's not "well he didn't start his fresh,an year so he must be a bust." That's bs most fans have no idea how hard it is to get here for these guys.mnext time yer ready to proclaim someone a bust or destroy a guy who hasn't yet loved up to YOUR expectations, think about this article. You gotta have upperclassmen to have a badass football program for this very reason.

Every decent article linked on here from a newspaper continues to be from Chatt town while the Sentinel continues to put out nothing but garbage like the predictable negavol Adams. What gives?

Reactions: 8 people
I played in college and really wasn't ready till my rs sophomore year.OL and Dl take more time because most incoming freshman are not close to being ready from a strength and conditioning stand point.That being said most of our fan base will never understand that and will continue to write off young players way to early.Nature of the beast I guess.

Who'd you play for? Position?

I'm not being a prick, I really like hearing about guys that made it to the collegiate level. I got scouted by Georgia Southern for basketball but nothing ever came of it. Lots of respect for those who made it. Those who make it to the pro's are really just freaks of nature if you look at the percentages.

See, here is an example of what it takes to have a solid program. A year ago, everyone is ready to cal, this kid a bust, waste of a scholly, etc...guys have to grow into this, it's not golf it's not tennis. It takes a lot of work to get to this point it's not "well he didn't start his fresh,an year so he must be a bust." That's bs most fans have no idea how hard it is to get here for these guys.mnext time yer ready to proclaim someone a bust or destroy a guy who hasn't yet loved up to YOUR expectations, think about this article. You gotta have upperclassmen to have a badass football program for this very reason.

Probably why I'm so optimistic about this season. All of our freshmen last year that were good enough to play, are now going to be moving toward greatness.

im a big fan of Lewis. He has really turned into a solid player and hes a great kid. He made himself a good player and he played great the second half of last yr

Every decent article linked on here from a newspaper continues to be from Chatt town while the Sentinel continues to put out nothing but garbage like the predictable negavol Adams. What gives?

Didnt even know you could quote yourself lol.

I am in Charlotte and the paper here is worse than either of the aforementioned. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who links articles about my mighty Vols from any source that is interesting. Can never read enough about my team. Gracias.

To be honest, No one ever expected freshmen and sophomores to be the key, anchor players or even immediate contributors besides the occasional rare talent but in recent years it's becoming the trend to play these young players because there is so much explosive talent nowadays and there has been a lot of successful younger players. A good example is college basketball. Rarely do you see a freshman that puts up 18+ plus points in his first year, play four years.

If he can stay healthy I think he could help out a lot. He's had enough bad breaks, it's his time to seize the carp.

You are wrong. Our fanbase is comprised of football experts. They are never wrong about a player or coach.

VN Store

Back