Thursday Practice 4/2

rocktopper16

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the meltdown.
I'll attempt to post some articles.

Didn't see a thread.. Slackers!

Rain sets in:

*The open portion of practice was cut short as rain set in on Haslam Field Thursday afternoon, but we caught a few notes from the stretching time and one period of practice…

Injury/absence update:
*Wide receiver*Marquez North and running back Jalen Hurd remains in green, non-contact jerseys. Lineman Coleman Thomas (indefinite suspension) and cornerback Emmanuel Moseley (mononucleosis) remain absent from practice.

Hoke back in attendance:

*Former Michigan, San Diego State and Ball State head coach Brady Hoke was in attendance for the second straight practice after attending on Tuesday as well. Hoke has several connections to Tennessee’s current staff and administration, including working on the same staff with Mike DeBord at Michigan in the late 1990s.Mosley/Tuttle get extra work:

*Two of Tennessee’s biggest defensive linemen got some extra work during the special teams period of practice that was open to the media. Shy Tuttle and Charles Mosley – all 700ish pounds of them – worked with Steve Stripling for an extra period since neither of them were on an assigned special team unit.DeBord thoughts:*We’ve had people ask what Mike DeBord’s style as a coach on the field is. It’s a fair question, and we’ve seen a couple sides of him. He doesn’t come across as a really fiery guy at first glance, but we did see him rip into the centers and quarterbacks pretty good during a snapping drill at one point on Thursday. Fair to say that he’s hands on and passionate, but not over-the-top Sal Sunseri style or anything along those lines.

Post-practice notes:*Gaulden standing out:*Both defensive coordinator John Jancek and defensive backs coach Willie Martinez both had positive things to say about Rashaan Gaulden, who seems to be emerging as the leader in the nickel spot. Martinez said Gaulden roomed with Justin Coleman last year to study the position.

DeBord talks quarterbacks:
*On Dormady: “He’s got a really strong arm. And he’s doing a good job with his feet right now, getting in position to make all the different types of throws. They’re throwing a lot of coverages at him and a lot of times in college you maybe only see two coverages, but they’re playing a lot of coverages. So that’s where he’s learning about every play against all coverages all the time. He’s done a good job on that.on Jennings: “Very athletic, which everybody knew. I really like, right now, his mentality. We’re really letting (GA) Nick Sheridan take him and start from Ground Zero and really build his knowledge and his mechanics and all that. Jauan just continues to get better as he goes through his practice.

”Standing out to Jancek:

*Jancek was asked which players on the defensive side are standing out, and these were the names he produced:Shy Tuttle
Andrew Butcher
Chris Weatherd (working at DE)
Cortez McDowell
Kenny Bynum
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
Rashaan Gaulden
Stephen Griffin

DeBord: Jennings is going to indefinitely stay at the QB position

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
I think the schedule was moved back because of whether and based on a comment from Rucker I wasn't sure media had much access.

Here's the UT release: #VolReport: Assistants Break It Down - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Under on and off rain showers, Team 119 practiced for the fifth time this spring. The Vols' assistant coaches met with the media following practice. They provided some detailed updates as the Vols head into Saturday's practice at Neyland Stadium.
DeBORD'S SIGNAL-CALLER SCOOP

Coach DeBord addressed the progression of the quarterbacks today, noting the improvements of Joshua Dobbs, Quinten Dormady, and Jauan Jennings.

Though DeBord believes that Joshua Dobbs has improved his feet movement, he still has a little work to do.

"We talk about three quicknesses at the quarterback position: the mental, the arm, and the feet," DeBord said. "Mentally, he's quick that way and he's really, again he's got a strong arm and a quick arm, but he's just got to continue to get better with his feet."

DeBord has been impressed with how Dormady has handled the transition from high school to college football at such a quick pace.

"We have to remember that he should be in high school right now. He's out here and we've thrown a lot of football at him and I really like how he's handled it," DeBord said. "He's got really good talent and he's working hard and he continues to get better every practice. I just like the way he's going about this right now."

The offensive coordinator also noted Dormady's ability to handle the multiple coverages thrown at him during practice.

"He's learning about every play against all coverages all the time and he's doing a good job with that," said DeBord.

Jauan Jennings' mentality has impressed DeBord the most. Jennings has been working mainly with Offensive Graduate Assistant Nick Sheridan to improve his knowledge of the game.

"We're really letting Nick Sheridan take him and start from ground zero and really build his knowledge and build his mechanics and all that," DeBord said. "Jauan just continues to get better as he goes through these practices."​

AZZANNI FINE-TUNING WRU

Five practices into the spring, wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni is pleased with his group of wide receivers. Through both ups and downs of perfecting mechanics, he sees improvement.

"Pig [Howard] has had a great first five practices. He had a big-time time today," Azzanni said. "Von [Pearson] has been a little up and down here and there, but that's to be expected at times during spring ball, but he had a good day today. Johnathon Johnson has been pretty solid.

"It's good to have Cody Blanc out there taking some reps. Cody was another guy was another guy who was getting a lot better when he got injured. I'm pleased with all those guys."

It's not just the physical improvements on the field that Azzanni is noticing. He's especially happy with the mental changes he's seen, especially from Malone and Howard.

"Josh is improving every day," Azzanni said. "It's fun to watch. He has a high care factor so he's really been working his craft. He still has a ways to go but he knows that. The thing I like about Josh right now is he's coming out there with the mentality to improve. He's not banged up and bruised so he's able to improve. I'm pleased with his development.

"It's night and day his approach right now. There's days I have to push his buttons and get him going like every one of them. I've been pleased with his development as far as physicality and how he's just a physical. He's healthy, so it's night and day. He looks like a different player."

Howard has picked up where he left off after a successful 2014 season. Azzanni continues to praise Howard for his workmanlike style and changed mentality.

"He's a completely different person," Azzanni said. "I've said this many times, he's night and day. He comes out there with a business approach. Anytime you take over a program, the guys who have been there a year or two want to ask `Why are we doing this' and `We never it did it that way.' He was kind of in that when we first got there. He's completely opposite now. He's doing everything we expect him to."

WEATHERD PROVING A WEAPON

With Tennessee battling injuries this spring along the defensive line, senior Chris Weatherd has made the most of his opportunity to prove his mettle at the defensive end position. A role player last season who excelled on spying the quarterback in third down situations, Weatherd has shown speed around the edge that the defensive coaches cannot ignore.

"You've got to figure out a way to get him on the field because he does have a trait that nobody on our team possesses," said linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. "He can run sideline to sideline and play four quarters in the same speed he was in the first quarter. He does have a trait of rushing the passer and pursuing the ball."

The transfer from Trinity Valley Community College saw action in all 13 games for the Vols last season, racking up 12 tackles and 2.5 sacks as a junior. Defensive coordinator John Jancek hopes Weatherd's speed and athleticism make him a versatile and reliable mainstay on the field come fall.

"He's going to be like Curt Maggitt--he's going to play some defensive end and some SAM linebacker," Jancek said. "I hope his role expands. That's going to be on Chris. But he has shown some things. His speed and quickness is a benefit, just as long as he can hold up on the line of scrimmage at the defensive end."

GAULDEN MAKING STRIDES AT NICKEL

Sophomore defensive back Rashaan Gaulden is sharing his time this spring at nickel and corner. Fairly new to the nickel position, he's beginning to settle in.

Defensive backs coach Willie Martinez likes Gaulden's physicality and athleticism at the position.

"I think he's doing a nice job," Martinez said. "I don't know if you would call it natural, but when you're physical and athletic, you have a chance to be pretty good. He's shown that early on in these practices."

If there's one thing he isn't surprised of, it's Gaulden's physicality. However, there is one aspect that he sees needing improvement.

"He was a very physical coming out of high school," Martinez said. "That's the one trait that we loved about him. He would show a lot of physicality when he played. I'm not surprised by that.

"Now it it's just getting him to become more vocal because he has to do a lot of communication where he feels comfortable and that's where he never played the position before. The great thing is that we did it in the fall. We committed to it and we had him backing up Justin Coleman. He learned from someone who did a really good job. He roomed with him, which we did on purpose. I think that was very beneficial for him because Justin was a great leader."

Reactions: 13 people
3529506.jpg

3529500.jpg

3529517.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
There's a pic of Big Charles standing beside Alton.. Big Charles defiantly lives up to the name.

Matt Slovin: Brady Hoke was at his second straight Tennessee practice today.

-- Cornerback Emmanuel Moseley (mononucleosis) and offensive lineman Coleman Thomas (felony theft charge) both remained absent from practice on Thursday.

-- Sophomore offensive lineman Jashon Robertson continues to get work at center. Robertson started at right guard in all 13 games last season.

--Defensive coordinator John Jancek said junior college transfer Chris Weatherd, who worked as an outside linebacker last year but was used almost strictly as a pass rusher, has been moved from linebacker to defensive end.

-- Offensive line coach Don Mahoney said he's been thrilled with the progress of tackle Brett Kendrick, who has been working at both tackle spots.
Dustin Dopriak

CBn0C58UkAAKpXU.jpg

Rucker

Rolling out a first-team offense that featured Josh Dobbs at quarterback and had some work at tailback from both Alvin Kamara and walk-on Jayson Sparks, Tennessee saw its offense successful in converting first downs in the short-yardage showdowns. The offensive line consisted of Kyler Kerbyson, Dylan Wiesman, Mack Crowder, Jashon Robertson and Brett Kendrick, with Ethan Wolf and Joe Stocstill at tight end and an H-back type role. Alton 'Pig' Howard and Von Pearson got some work as first-team wideouts.

Defensively, the Vols had LaTroy Lewis, Kendal Vickers, Owen Williams and Dimarya Mixon up front. Kenny Bynum and Chris Weatherd got early work at linebacker while the secondary consisted of Evan Berry and Todd Kelly Jr. at the safety spots while Rashaan Gaulden and Malik Foreman were corners and Cam Sutton at nickel, with Foreman getting a rep at nickel when the defense faced its second short-yardage test against the Vols' top offense. Kamara picked up that first down.

The Vols' second-team offense saw both Quinten Dormady and Jauan Jennings get a snap each at quarterback in the drill, with Neiko Creamer and A.J. Branisel both working at the tight end post. Jack Jones was the right tackle while Dontavius Blair was the left tackle. Austin Sanders got work at guard in the second grouping. The Vols had earlier also repped Robertson and Wiesman at center as well as Crowder. Josh Malone and Josh Smith were early second-team wideouts as the Vols worked a heavier set with two tight ends. Cody Blanc also got a rep.

VQ

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
So Weatherd is moving to DE for the spring or for good?

Also good news to see CDM is thrilled with Kendricks progress at the tackle spots.

Reactions: 1 person
O-Line development continues to sound like the key. Good to hear such high marks on Secondary with Gaulden sounding like he is positioned to have a good showing. Excited about this D...still a little apprehensive about the O.

Thanks so much for the updates guys!

Apparently he's still progressing. Started spring practice on the scout team and now working with the 2nd team offense.

Exactly.

So far we've had one week of spring practice with 3 remaining, then more months of strength & conditioning, then August camp.

... way too early to say for sure who will or won't do what.

Why does Butch's windbreaker have a sqiggly white line to indicate where one might observe the armpit sweat stains? What a weird design.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back