Coach Jones and Team Rusty (Non-Hodgkins lymphoma) updated

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
A Cleveland family is in the fight of their life right now. In January Rusty Cooke was diagnosed with cancer.
I am sorry to have to tell you Mr. Cooke, but the mass in your chest is CANCER. Those are the words Rusty Cooke heard in January of this year. Not just any cancer but precursor T cell lymphoblastic non- hodgkins lymphoma/leukemia. A cancer so rare that only 2% of all non-hodgkins patients ever encounter it.
The community has gathered around him and his wife, and their small daughter. It's amazing! This photo was posted to the Team Rusty facebook page. :rock:

The family would be so grateful for your prayers. There is more information about Rusty on the Team Rusty Facebook page, and on the Go Fund Me site (set up to try to help them with the financial burden of spending three months away from home once his stem cell transplant takes place in Nashville.) Team Rusty by Robert Lawson - GoFundMe

Attachments

• team rusty.jpg
    team rusty.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 18 people
Prayers sent! My younger brother went through stem cell replacement at Vanderbilt about 8 years ago. It was hell but he has been cancer free since, so it can work! :rock:

Reactions: 6 people
Prayers to Rusty and family. Hopefully other VolNation neighbors will help this 33-year old husband and father financially if they can.

Reactions: 2 people
Prayers sent! My younger brother went through stem cell replacement at Vanderbilt about 8 years ago. It was hell but he has been cancer free since, so it can work! :rock:

I met Rusty's wife my first day doing Crossfit (she's one of the coaches.) I pray for her daily. Like my step-dad, the spouses of cancer patients are angels on earth, imo.

That is awesome about your brother!! Can I ask how old he was at the time? Rusty is 33.

He was 39 when he was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It is life changing news and not in a good way!

I'm very proud Butch is our coach, and I hope this family wins this battle. Also, vollygirl, I miss the orange skirt pic...

Last edited:
Praying for Rusty and his family. I know cancer is tough but it can be defeated, GOD IS GOOD!

A Cleveland family is in the fight of their life right now. In January Rusty Cooke was diagnosed with cancer.

The community has gathered around him and his wife, and their small daughter. It's amazing! This photo was posted to the Team Rusty facebook page. :rock:

The family would be so grateful for your prayers. There is more information about Rusty on the Team Rusty Facebook page, and on the Go Fund Me site (set up to try to help them with the financial burden of spending three months away from home once his stem cell transplant takes place in Nashville.) Team Rusty by Robert Lawson - GoFundMe

Thank you for posting this. I am Rusty's cousin who got Butch the shirt to send the pic. I can't wait to take him to another game one day when this is all over

Thank you for posting this. I am Rusty's cousin who got Butch the shirt to send the pic. I can't wait to take him to another game one day when this is all over

We pray for Rusty and Erika every day!! I hope the poster here support them with their prayers as well!

I honestly couldn't imagine trying to keep the household and finances together if my husband were in Rusty's situation.

We pray for Rusty and Erika every day!! I hope the poster here support them with their prayers as well!

I honestly couldn't imagine trying to keep the household and finances together if my husband were in Rusty's situation.

Will you be coming to the 5k this Sunday? Rusty is doing good. The week after chemo seems to be the worst.

Will you be coming to the 5k this Sunday? Rusty is doing good. The week after chemo seems to be the worst.

Run for Rusty! Yes, my husband and I are both coming up. (I might have to walk for Rusty though. :) )

My mom has been on various chemos for the last five years (started as Stage 1 Ovarian cancer which we thought would be cake cause they caught it so early, but that wasn't the case.) For her, most of the time the week she has chemo (usually a 4-8hr process depending on which one it was) is her best week because of the meds they give her with the chemo. The next week is the crash. She can't take chemo any more because her bone marrow is depleted. They have her on a pill to try to keep it under control for a couple of years so they can try something else. It's hard.

Run for Rusty! Yes, my husband and I are both coming up. (I might have to walk for Rusty though. :) )

My mom has been on various chemos for the last five years (started as Stage 1 Ovarian cancer which we thought would be cake cause they caught it so early, but that wasn't the case.) For her, most of the time the week she has chemo (usually a 4-8hr process depending on which one it was) is her best week because of the meds they give her with the chemo. The next week is the crash. She can't take chemo any more because her bone marrow is depleted. They have her on a pill to try to keep it under control for a couple of years so they can try something else. It's hard.

Yes it is hard and sorry you have to go through it. I will see you at the run and thanks for helping. Is there a way I can send you a private message on here? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Yes it is hard and sorry you have to go through it. I will see you at the run and thanks for helping. Is there a way I can send you a private message on here? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Email received. :hi:

Please step up the prayers. This update was just posted:

Monday is a big day for Rusty, Erika and Tori Beth. Their meeting with doctors in Nashville will determine the course of action for the next several months. As you head out to Sunday services tomorrow, please remember them in prayer. Ask God to give them comfort and peace as they step into this next phase of Rusty's treatment. We know that God can deliver Rusty from the grips of cancer. We are trusting Him while we wait for his Almighty Plan to be revealed. In the meantime, we will pray and give Him thanks for what He has already done. This community has been incredible in their willingness to take this journey with Rusty, Erika and Tori. We thank The Lord that He has touched your hearts with compassion for this this young family. They still have a long road ahead. Their whole lives have been upended and they live in this horror every minute of every day. We all need to be thankful for our health and the health of our families. Things can change in an instant. Look forward to seeing each of you tomorrow at the "Run for Rusty".

The latest update:

We have an update regarding stem cell transplant. Neither sibling was a match, so we will continue with the full 8 rounds of chemo. Rusty just finished round 4, so we are halfway there. He will then go over options for maintenance therapy, but that will be much less invasive and he will hopefully be able to return to a more independent lifestyle. So, fingers crossed for a few more months of strength as we get through these grueling next few rounds.

Please keep praying for this precious family

VN Store

Back