National Coach Rankings

Meh, James Franklin ahead of Butch? Must be another April Fools joke they are playing on us.

Reactions: 3 people
If you consider what Butch has had to work with (which they obviously did in their rating of Franklin), then he deserves to be higher than that.

Meh, James Franklin ahead of Butch? Must be another April Fools joke they are playing on us.

As much as I hate to admit it, at this point you have to put Franklin ahead of Butch. Now, if it's just with regards to recruiting, I would give Butch the edge over JF.

You guys are ranking based on the future. Based on what Butch's teams have done ON THE FIELD, he's ranked about where he deserves.

Reactions: 5 people
FTA: " There was no set criteria, though the best way to describe our philosophies were to compare what each coach has actually accomplished and order them based on which one weÂ’d want coaching our team right now."

If that's the criteria, I would take Butch over any of those listed.

FTA: " There was no set criteria, though the best way to describe our philosophies were to compare what each coach has actually accomplished and order them based on which one weÂ’d want coaching our team right now."

If that's the criteria, I would take Butch over any of those listed.

If you don't care about having a d-bag as a coach, and wins are your only concern, I would definitely take Urban Dickbag Meyer.

I hate it, but he's probably a better take than Saban. OSU could have the next dynasty title run.

If you don't care about having a d-bag as a coach, and wins are your only concern, I would definitely take Urban Dickbag Meyer.

I hate it, but he's probably a better take than Saban. OSU could have the next dynasty title run.

Yep, ohio is laden with talent. :yes:

Maybe someone should rate the raters. Who are these guys?

"Jerry Hinnen, Chip Patterson, Adam Silverstein and I each ranked 66 college football coaches (the 64 Power Five schools plus Notre Dame and BYU) and compiled our lists to form this composite ranking. There was no set criteria, though the best way to describe our philosophies were to compare what each coach has actually accomplished and order them based on which one we'd want coaching our team right now."

As much as I hate to admit it, at this point you have to put Franklin ahead of Butch. Now, if it's just with regards to recruiting, I would give Butch the edge over JF.

If Butch played the ridiculous cupcake schedule that Franklin played each year at Vandy, he'd have a much better record than Franklin. Anyone can beat Presbyterian. Franklin scheduled weak teams and used Vandys low expectations to win some games and make himself look good. Did he win some big games? Yes. But his record is VERY padded. If he played our schedule, he wouldnt look so good.

Reactions: 2 people
If Butch played the ridiculous cupcake schedule that Franklin played each year at Vandy, he'd have a much better record than Franklin. Anyone can beat Presbyterian. Franklin scheduled weak teams and used Vandys low expectations to win some games and make himself look good. Did he win some big games? Yes. But his record is VERY padded. If he played our schedule, he wouldnt look so good.

Franklin beat Georgia and Florida.

Has Butch?

Some of you make it sound like Vandy is just like every other program in the country and should be held to the same standard.

How many ranked teams has Cutcliffe beat at Duke? Or do we sit in amazement that Duke is actually winning football games.

You can pretend all you want, but Franklin handed several programs a loss that Vandy has no business competing with.

I'll be in the grave before another Vandy coach has wins over Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee while coaching Vandy.

Reactions: 4 people
Franklin beat Georgia and Florida.

Has Butch?

Some of you make it sound like Vandy is just like every other program in the country and should be held to the same standard.

How many ranked teams has Cutcliffe beat at Duke? Or do we sit in amazement that Duke is actually winning football games.

You can pretend all you want, but Franklin handed several programs a loss that Vandy has no business competing with.

I'll be in the grave before another Vandy coach has wins over Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee while coaching Vandy.

I completely agree. As of today, Butch has not won anything important. Wake up you orange goggle wearing people....

Reactions: 4 people
Id say CBJ is pretty close to being in the right spot. Also hes ahead of a lot of coaches that we discussed in the last coaching search, namely golden and fedora. The big issue i see is cutcliffe being that low, he has to be a top 15-20 guy with what hes done with duke of all places

Reactions: 1 person

Franklin isn't a bad coach. He did enter into the SEC while UT and UF were down.

Reactions: 2 people
I completely agree. As of today, Butch has not won anything important. Wake up you orange goggle wearing people....

What has Franklin ever won? During his "historic" run at Vandy, he never finished higher than 3rd in a historically bad/down SECe. The answer is absolutely nothing. Furthermore, he piled up wins vs absolutely horrible OOC teams like Temple, Presbyterian and UMass, and was absolutely throttled vs the better teams he played. Moreover, one could easily say the driving force behind the success of Vandy's team was Defensive Coordinator Bob Shoop. Consider this.....

Franklin is an offensive coach who cut his teeth as an OC at Maryland. In his 3 seasons there, his offenses finished 68th, 102nd and 80th in total offense.

Then gets to Vandy and calls offensive plays as head coach....in his 3years at Vandy, his offenses finished #98, #82 and #94 nationally in total offense. Also remember, Franklin inherited arguably the greatest player in Vanderbilt history in Jordan Matthews...where exactly does anybody think Franklin's offenses would've ranked without that one-man show?? Dead last or close to it is my guess.

So, how did they win "all those games" at Vandy? It's primarily because of their Bob Shoop-coordinated defenses which finished #18, #19 and #23 nationally in total defense.

So, fast forward to last year at PennState. Maybe those 3 years of Franklin's horrible offense overcome by Shoop's great defense was an anomaly dictated by personnel or other factors. No, that doesn't seem to be the case.....national rankings for PennState last year mirrored Franklin's tenure at Vandy......Franklin's offense-#114....Shoop's defense-#2.

Perhaps Franklin will wind up being an all-time great beginning this year at an all-time great program like Penn State. But he ain't done much yet if you just scratch the surface of the circumstances of his "success" at Vandy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back