Shy Tuttle "putting on a show" at camp so far

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Looks like we might have 2 true freshmen starting at defensive tackle this fall.

Tennessee Football: Freshman Shy Tuttle Letting His Play Do the Talking | Bleacher Report

The first time the glare of television spotlights and flashing digital recorders shone on freshman Tennessee football player Shy Tuttle back in January, he was a quiet man of few words.

Turns out he makes most of his noise when the pads go on.

The 6'3", 315-pound mid-term defensive tackle spent most of this past recruiting cycle comfortably in the shadow of 5-star Kahlil McKenzie. But with the expected jewel of UT's recruiting class not arriving on campus until this summer, spring is Tuttle's time to perform.

Thus far he's putting on a show.

Following the first day of live-action hitting, Tennessee coach Butch Jones—a man from the throwback days of cautious optimism—gushed over the Lexington, North Carolina, product to GoVols247's Wes Rucker:

“The one individual who I thought really stepped up and really made his presence felt was Shy Tuttle. I thought he had a very, very productive and a very good first day. He had an unbelievable interception with a tipped football and then finished it off with making the catch, as well.

He came off the football, and you could see the disruptive quickness, you could see the explosiveness, you could see the use of his hands. The thing I really liked about it was you could see his competitive nature. You could see his competitive character, and you could see his confidence. And he’s very, very athletic. You could see instincts.”

The praise from Tennessee's coaching staff, and just his hulking presence at practice, have set off a mini firestorm on Twitter.

Reactions: 34 people
He will be needed this year so that's great news. A rotation of McKenzie, Tuttle, O Brien and another DT would be nice. Any ideas for the other DT?

Reactions: 5 people
I will submit the obligatory comment of....good defense or bad QB play on the int.
seriously tho, It's great to hear he kicking tail so soon!

Reactions: 1 person
The potential of Shy and The Great Kahlil in the middle. Barnette on the edge.

SEC foes will pee pee in they panties.

Reactions: 12 people
Think how good this DEFENSE will make our OFFENSE as they tangle in practice.
Good days are ahead!

Reactions: 6 people
could be a force, especially on 3rd down. We're going to be stacked on the D-line, can't wait for some for Dylan Thompson-esque hissy fits from opposing QB's

Reactions: 2 people
O'Brien and Williams are the 2 front runners at DT from last season's performance. Along with the 2 huge freshmen there should be lots of competition for DT playing time.

His feet look very fast in the practice videos and he is a massive individual. Glad I'm not blocking him.

I noticed from Tuttle's HS video he played a lot of DE and ran all over the field. Was very impressed with his speed for his size. Reminded me of Haynesworth out of HS.

Or butcher or taylor, we have an embarrassment of riches on the D line.

Everybody seems to forget about Taylor, including me. Taylor was a huge get and possibly the best athlete from our 2015 class. Wonder if he is a top candidate for our "Derek Barnett-type" breakout freshman this year.

Reactions: 3 people
And to think the program could not sign an elite, highly recruited D-lineman for years. They took Malik Jackson away from USC on a transfer who turned into a really good one by busting his tail. He was a back-up at USC.

Fast forward. Oh, my. Thank you Butch and staff. Just awesome.

lol at Rivals for downgrading Shy to a 4* last year.

Reactions: 4 people
Everybody seems to forget about Taylor, including me. Taylor was a huge get and possibly the best athlete from our 2015 class. Wonder if he is a top candidate for our "Derek Barnett-type" breakout freshman this year.

By all indications, Phillips is the most likely 2015 candidate to have a 2014 Barnett type impact.

VN Store

Back