Dormady making 'tremendous progress'

kamoshika

“I wasn’t able to throw for probably about the first month, so I was just doing a lot of weightlifting, that kind of thing, eating right, trying to do everything I could in the film room, meeting room and that kind of thing to get ready for whenever I did come back,” Dormady said Tuesday following Tennessee’s two-hour practice at Haslam Field.

“Since then, I’ve been throwing and getting in the playbook, learning that, and also weight training and eating right.”

Jones said Dormady’s first spring with the Vols is going well, although he admitted Dormady and fellow freshman quarterback Jauan Jennings both are “swimming” while learning on the job.

“I see (Dormady) making tremendous progress each and every day, and as a coach, we have to keep in perspective that he should still be in high school,” Jones said. “But I’ve been very, very encouraged with him — just his overall knowledge, his fundamentals. He has a live arm, so I’ve been very encouraged by his progress so far.

“Each day, you see him getting better and better.”

Tennessee Vols QB Quinten Dormady showing 'tremendous progress'

Reactions: 7 people
Less than two short years ago, it was Worley(Jr), Peterman(RsFR), Dobbs(Fr), & Furgeson(Fr) for Fall camp. I don't think a word describes how much better I feel about the group we are raising up compared to that group.

(Maybe the Ron Paul "It's Happening" meme. Maybe)

Reactions: 2 people
Let's hope QD maintains that steep learning curve, and hopefully Jennings can keep developing, then Jones can pick up well enough in summer camp to be viable by mid season. We need depth at QB to make a run this year. It'll all be easier for these youngsters if the OL gels early.

Reactions: 1 person
What exactly does he mean by "swimming"? Sounds like we got us a good one in Dormady even though he doesn't fit our offense and can't run according to some people on here. Personally I find it hilarious when people say he doesn't fit our offense. If he didn't, Butch and company wouldn't of recruited him to begin with, period!

Reactions: 3 people
What exactly does he mean by "swimming"? Sounds like we got us a good one in Dormady even though he doesn't fit our offense and can't run according to some people on here. Personally I find it hilarious when people say he doesn't fit our offense. If he didn't, Butch and company wouldn't of recruited him to begin with, period!

Gotta be better than sinking IMO !!!

Less than two short years ago, it was Worley(Jr), Peterman(RsFR), Dobbs(Fr), & Furgeson(Fr) for Fall camp. I don't think a word describes how much better I feel about the group we are raising up compared to that group.

(Maybe the Ron Paul "It's Happening" meme. Maybe)

To be fair, we could probably find posts arguing we had the top QB group in the nation back then. Worley was national player of the year, Peterman was the perfect fit for butch's system and it was a toss up between dobbs and fergie as to who would win the Heisman first.

Reactions: 5 people
I told all yall fools this kid is special. Might even compete for starting job by this coming fall.

Dormady is the future at UT.

Jones isn't even here yet, either, he is good enough to play for UT right now.

UT will have a major problem on their hands and one will likely transfer. But, this is a great problem to have. It means we have serious talent and competition at the most important position on the field.

It's been many years!

Jennings will either play elsewhere on the field or he will be transfering quickly.

Reactions: 4 people
What exactly does he mean by "swimming"?

It starts with the idea of "drinking at the font of knowledge." When the font becomes a flood, you're standing in it. When it goes even beyond that, the floodwaters are so deep your feet can no longer touch the bottom...you're swimming to stay up with it.

Means they're surrounded by an overwhelming flood of new information and are taking it in as quickly as they can.

Reactions: 2 people
Also consider that QD's pops implemented the UT offense and terminology for him to run last year.
A possible reason CBJ hired someone who would consent to learn and run his offense. All things considered, QD should be light years ahead of Jennings.

Who? Dormady? Oh yeah, the kid that's gotta transfer because he's no good for this offense......

I told all yall fools this kid is special. Might even compete for starting job by this coming fall.

UT will have a major problem on their hands and one will likely transfer. But, this is a great problem to have. It means we have serious talent and competition at the most important position on the field.

It's been many years!

Jennings will either play elsewhere on the field or he will be transfering quickly.

Stop it. He's good and certainly has a future here. But neither he nor anybody else is gonna remotely compete for the starting job this fall. It's Dobbs 1000%.

Reactions: 3 people
Stop it. He's good and certainly has a future here. But neither he nor anybody else is gonna remotely compete for the starting job this fall. It's Dobbs 1000%.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Folks are being wowed by his ability and progress......

Then you haven't been paying attention. Folks are being wowed by his ability and progress......

I'm paying plenty of attention, am impressed too and have in fact been defending QD from fools on here who say he can't play in this offense and will likely wind up transferring. We're on the same page there. Where we differ is in you saying he'll push to be the starter THIS fall....that's utter nonsense. He'll likely be Dobbs' backup. There's zero chance it's the other way around. Zero.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm paying plenty of attention, am impressed too and have in fact been defending QD from fools on here who say he can't play in this offense and will likely wind up transferring. We're on the same page there. Where we differ is in you saying he'll push to be the starter THIS fall....that's utter nonsense. He'll likely be Dobbs' backup. There's zero chance it's the other way around. Zero.

As it stands right now, you are correct, but anything and I me anything can happen.

Also, Dormady is way more "athletic" and can move in this offense better than anyone thought.

Also, the new OC has a long history with the Dormady type QBs....

It's been many years!

Jennings loves the Vols. I really think that he would have no problems moving to safety or WR. If he stays he will play somewhere because he is such an incredible athlete.

To be fair, we could probably find posts arguing we had the top QB group in the nation back then. Worley was national player of the year, Peterman was the perfect fit for butch's system and it was a toss up between dobbs and fergie as to who would win the Heisman first.

Right, but the point is that those posters were being irrational. Worley was a Gatorade POY, but he was also a consensus 3 star with question marks, who had 1 td and 5 interceptions for his career.

Peterman was arguably a good fit for Butch's system, but he was also a 3 star overall, and considered the 15th-17th best pro-style QB.

Dobbs looked a little better. 247 was a fan of his, and he was generally respected by other services. He was comparable to Sheriron Jones in terms of overall hype and expectations.

Riley was a consensus 3 star who was listed as the 22nd - 30th best pro style QB. He showed some flashes, but again did not come in anywhere near as highly touted as any of our QB's this cycle.

This year we have a QB who is somewhat experienced in Dobbs, who changed our offense over night, who fits our system perfectly, and who is getting rave reviews in practice. He is getting pre-season All SEC hype, and is getting national recognition as being one of the best SEC QBs this year. We also have 1 QB in the 247 top 90, another the top 200, and one in the top 250.

Our depth is radically better. The fit of our QBs is perfect. We have more experience. And our players are all much more highly touted - not "system" QBs that we are trying to convince ourselves fit in somehow, despite consensus expert conclusions to the contrary.

Last edited:
And Coach DeBord did say yesterday that the QB competition is open again, no front runner. So apparently Dormady is doing that well, because we know Dobbs is looking strong.

It's been many years!

Come ON, man...stop it already. Dobbs is the guy, hands down, no question. Let the young buck learn and progress and get his seasoning without unreal expectations. And we can't let Jennings go anywhere...to good of an athlete. Put 25 pounds on him and drop him in the box...JRM, then Cortez...now Jennings! It seems to be a formula that is turning out quite well!

It starts with the idea of "drinking at the font of knowledge." When the font becomes a flood, you're standing in it. When it goes even beyond that, the floodwaters are so deep your feet can no longer touch the bottom...you're swimming to stay up with it.

Means they're surrounded by an overwhelming flood of new information and are taking it in as quickly as they can.

Indeed. Yet, if "font," then Coach likely means "being immersed" -- fully, from head-to-toe -- in the (receptacle of) knowledge of all things UT football (not in the sense of swimming to stay up with it/aka struggling, but, with satisfaction and calming comfort, soaking in all that is good). VS "fount."

And Coach DeBord did say yesterday that the QB competition is open again, no front runner. So apparently Dormady is doing that well, because we know Dobbs is looking strong.

You're kidding yourself if you think there's any chance, based on performance and not injury, that Dobbs is not our starter

VN Store

Back