Kamara thriving in new Tennessee home

kamoshika

One of these days, Jalen Reeves-Maybin is going to pop Alvin Kamara. He knows he will. He swears he will.

The problem, though, is that Tennessee’s junior linebacker will have to catch the Vols’ new hot-shot running back first.

“I didn’t get him today, unfortunately, but some other guys got him,” Reeves-Maybin said. “But … you know … you’ve got to catch him. He’s a fast guy. He gets on the edge, and he’s done. Guys have got to make sure they take good angles. He’s fast, man."

Alvin Kamara thriving in new home with Tennessee Vols football

Reactions: 37 people
And the five-star junior college prospect who began his career with a redshirt season at Alabama gets even faster in pads. And he has his reasons for that.

“I got past (Reeves-Maybin) today, and he was like, ‘Man, I didn’t know you was that fast,’” Kamara said. “I was like, ‘Yeah, when the pads come on, I ain’t trying to get hit.’”

hilarious

Reactions: 26 people
Interesting that he ever ended up at Bama. Doesn't seem to fit the profile of a Tide RB. Could be Saban signed him to keep him away from other SEC schools.
Would love to see more depth at this position, but great to have a homerun threat.
Scott would have gotten a lot of PT. Stupid for leaving.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting that he ever ended up at Bama. Doesn't seem to fit the profile of a Tide RB. Could be Saban signed him to keep him away from other SEC schools.
Would love to see more depth at this position, but great to have a homerun threat.
Scott would have gotten a lot of PT. Stupid for leaving.
He was a late swing to the Tide if I recall correctly. You're exactly right and Saban does this a lot, sets kids on a shelf and lets them play perhaps a year and then some mysteriously take a medical leave and exit the program. Kids and parents are beginning to wise up.

Reactions: 1 person
He was a late swing to the Tide if I recall correctly. You're exactly right and Saban does this a lot, sets kids on a shelf and lets them play perhaps a year and then some mysteriously take a medical leave and exit the program. Kids and parents are beginning to wise up.

To summarize it's called "building very very good depth". Why would any coach who could (unfortunately CNS can) choose to stock 3*s on the shelf instead of 5*s?

No need to bash Saban for that. I hope butch brings in the EXACT kind of players to build depth in the future. Keeping them away from other SEC schools is the icing on the cake.

Reactions: 2 people
It will be nice if he thrives all the way to about 1100 rushing yards and 10 TDs to go along with Hurds 1300 rushing yards and 14 Tds output for the season. I know, I know, those are big numbers for two backs to put up considering they will be sharing reps and playing time. A simple man can dream though, right?

Reactions: 1 person
Does anyone know Kamara's 40 time? I'm meaning a legit, lasered 40 time, not just hear say. Also, I have the same question for Hurd. I've seen people report as fast as 4.37 for Hurd. He just doesn't look to be that fast to me personally though. I would guess around a 4.5 for Hurd at best, which is still pretty awesome considering his size. We all heard about Hurds speed before he made it to campus, but we've yet to see him out run anybody in the open field during games.

Edit: All of our players seem to talk about Kamara's blazing speed, but I just seen an article on 247 that says he's a 4.3 guy, but coming out of HS all these recruiting services lists him with a 4.55 40.

Last edited:
Does anyone know Kamara's 40 time? I'm meaning a legit, lasered 40 time, not just hear say. Also, I have the same question for Hurd. I've seen people report as fast as 4.37 for Hurd. He just doesn't look to be that fast to me personally though. I would guess around a 4.5 for Hurd at best, which is still pretty awesome considering his size. We all heard about Hurds speed before he made it to campus, but we've yet to see him out run anybody in the open field during games.
Did Hurd put on weight when he got here? I'm wondering if that's why he isn't as blazing fast as he was supposed to be.

Did Hurd put on weight when he got here? I'm wondering if that's why he isn't as blazing fast as he was supposed to be.

He has put on weight, but good weight as in muscle. That shouldn't affect your speed much though. You always hear coaches talk about putting on weight but keeping your speed. His speed was obviously exaggerated a little bit coming out of HS.

Edit: All of our players seem to talk about Kamara's blazing speed, but I just seen an article on 247 that says he's a 4.3 guy, but coming out of HS all these recruiting services lists him with a 4.55 40.

Carrying 3-4 defensive players with you tends to hamper your break away speed just a bit.

Reactions: 12 people

I don't know what games you were watching but when Hurd got a chance in the open field he was very fast. Its kinda hard to show game breaking speed when you can't get any holes because of our pathetic o-line play.

The Iowa game was the first time we created decent running lanes for Jalen Hurd and we all saw what he did. He had the commentators comparing him to Marcus Allen.

Reactions: 7 people
Carrying 3-4 defensive players with you tends to hamper your break away speed just a bit.

Yeah, but the handful of times that there was nothing but wide open grass ahead of him he always got caught from behind. I just don't believe his speed is as good as previously reported.

VN Store

Back