Saturday Practice

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/03/28/defensive-practice-notes-3-28-15/

Offensive Practice Notes: 3/28 | Rocky Top Insider

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/03/28/video-highlights-from-tennessees-3-28-15-practice/

It's a shame they couldn't get closer for the Circle of Life Drill but a couple things I noted from the video

1) Stephen Griffin is a big guy and seems very athletic. If he can grasp the scheme he will be really good
2) Malone has gained a lot of confidence and looks a little bigger along with TK
3) Lots of Junior Day guys here. A few I recognized
4)Andrew Butcher looks really good so far and will be a force if not some this year then next year.

Last edited:
Ruckers fast five
1. Circle of life. Kenny Bynum and Gavin Bryant were tossed into the ring.
2. No Coleman Thomas
3. Green jerseys: North, Hurd, Blanc
4. NEW QB IMPRESSIONS. A quick study of Tennessee freshman January quarterback enrollees Quinten Dormady and Jauan Jennings — and, to be fair, not from a large sample size — it’s clear to see why coaches believe Dormady is much more developed at this stage of his career as a passer. Jennings, to be kind, seems to have a long way to go as a passer, but he has a strong arm and a great work ethic and is obviously a great athlete. The biggest cosmetic issue with Dormady at the moment seems to be a reluctance to fully let it rip when he throws. Everything looks good until the very end, and it looks like he just doesn’t want to completely unleash his arm strength with the throw. It’s almost like a sprinter pulling up before the finish line. Perhaps that’s a natural thing, or even something he’s been told to do, because he’s only recently worked his way back from an issue with his throwing shoulder. Regardless, Dormady looks good as a passer, and Jennings looks great as an athlete but rough around the edges as a quarterback.
5. More eyeballs than normal at practice because of junior day.

There were a handful of matchups, but a few noteworthy competitions provided some highlights. Brett Kendrick, who's opened camp with a very solid week, had a resounding win in the circle, as did Josh Malone, who easily sent freshman defensive back Stephen Griffin backpedaling. Charles Mosley battled Mack Crowder, and while it was even early it appeared that Mosley might have secured the win. Mosley remains working with the defense.

The Vols logged heavy special teams work early, with Trevor Daniel easily outworking George Bullock in punting. Bullock, to his credit, has been staying late from practice to work on drops for his punts. In that same session, Tennessee looked at Von Pearson, Alvin Kamara, Alton 'Pig' Howard, Josh Malone and Evan Berry caught punts, as did Malik Foreman.

Josh Dobbs has opened camp with a solid week; he's throwing the ball with some more accuracy on a more frequent basis. Coaches want that continued development in consistency. Dobbs also slipped on a glove for his left, non-throwing hand.

VQ

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032815aaa.html

Big hit of the day award at Vols first practice in full pads goes to Gavin Bryant. He apparently got Ray Raulerson pretty good, per JRM. - Patrick Brown

From UT:

"The transition from safety to Linebacker has been a blast" - @Cortez_mcdowell, speaking to media for first time http://t.co/8WPD1iXJhl

"@Cortez_mcdowell has a chance to be really good. He's going to be come in and make an impact." -@Finally_Maybin http://t.co/jcVms8xZU5

"I got past Maybin today, he was like wow you are that fast?' - @A_kamara6 http://t.co/vvhL8jQKOE

KAMARA: I want to solidly and show the coaches what I can do, I want to show them I can be a weapon.

KAMARA: It was on the front of my mind that I could come in and make a difference right away. I like the pressure of the SEC

KAMARA: the tempo here is a lot faster. You have to bear down and get used to that tempo. It has been good.

KAMARA: Jalen is the bigger body, I can get on the edge and they will have hard time with us.

KAMARA: I feel I can take a play from 8 yards to 80 yards.

KERBYSON: we have had @JawuanJames70 hanging out with us and that has made a big difference with his one year in NFL http://t.co/cywi6d2sdm

JOSH SMITH: Getting injured was a shot to my heart, it was hard. I'm knocking rust off after not having the pads on http://t.co/sVfiaQWfDS

JOSH SMITH: I just have to push to my threshold. I have to get my spot back and that's what I'm going to do. I'm getting there.

SMITH: @A_kamara6 is a playmaker for sure. Seeing how he works & his work ethic, you can see it on the practice field. It's exciting to see

SMITH: I was 195, now I'm 208, I have put on a lot more muscle. Putting on weight was a success. There's no jamming me.

JONES: Great day. 170+ faculty on Faculty Appreciation Day. Very important to have the chance to say thank you for all they do.

JONES: I wanted to see how our players respond to the different tempos we implement when the pads go on for the first time.

JONES: I like their mentality, I like their approach to practice. But we must become a much more physical football team.

JONES: One individual who really stepped up and made his presence felt was @KingTut_90.

JONES: We'll continue to move @KylerGreens77 around. He gives us great flexibility up front, can play guard and tackle.

JONES: @KingTut_90 came off the football. You could see his competitive nature and his instincts with the pads on now.

JONES: You don't develop toughness in just 11-on-11s. There's a lot that goes into the physical nature of practice.

JONES: This has been a very big spring for @B_Ken63. He's going into year 3 of our football program and you can see the maturation.

JONES: @B_Ken63 has shown great resiliency. He just needs to continue to work. I've been really encouraged by everything I've seen from him.

JONES. You can see the natural instincts, the toughness from @A_kamara6 in the way he runs the football. Has a lot of potential.

JONES: @A_kamara6 and @MrHurd_1 are complementary backs to one another. I see them really feeding off of each other.

JONES: The mental part of playing football is critical. Not only do you have to rely on football IQ, but you have to play at a high pace.

JONES: Invaluable for @Cortez_mcdowell to have @Finally_Maybin as a model.

JONES: I love @Finally_Maybin. He's committed to our program, a great leader. He's a great mentor for @Cortez_mcdowell.

JONES: It's good to have @dillonbates back in pads. Playing LB is like riding a bike for him. You can see his instincts starting to kick in.

JONES: @JoshSmith_25 has a workmanlike mentality every time he steps inside the building. He shows up everyday to work.

JONES: @CamSutton23 is getting valuable reps at the nickel position. We have to make sure we don't inundate him with a ton of repetitions.

JONES: Very rarely are you in base defense in today's world. You're in nickel or you're in dime. It's about developing that overall depth.

JONES: The nickel has to be able to play zone coverage and man coverage and have the right physicality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
"Patrick Ashford, Jauan Jennings, Quinten Dormady, Josh Smith and Johnathon Johnson were all working with special teams coordinator Mark Elder as potential holders for PAT/FG attempts."

:loco:

Mack Crowder holding his own against Mosley, a guy that outweighs Crowder by nearly 100 lbs, is not a good sign for Mosley IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Love what I'm hearing about Dormady so far. He is my personal fave in the last QB class. Think he potentially fits the better of the 3 incoming QB's at what Debord llikes in his QB. Has a great arm, can make all the throws,has the mobility to make defense's respect that he will run and have to defend it. Hopefully he has accuracy to go along with the arm and supposed natural leadership. I know most on here like SJ better but have liked and followed Dormady since he committed. Think he is being underestimated by some fans with his mobility. He will never run a 4.4-4.5 or go 80 yards on a QB run but no UT QB will be asked to do that.He definitely isn't a Peyton or Worley as far as little to no mobility. Put him in the Aaron Rogers type mobility class and that's about all we need from our QB. Really don't see Jennings sticking at QB by next season. Passing is the top thing Debord expects from the QB and sounds like Jennings is way behind Dormady and would Jones to be much more polished as a passer. But in all honesty I just don't know near as much about Jones that I do about QB because of the late commitment. And stats don't usually tell the whole story in HS, especially at QB. Didn't look like Jones ran a lot or passed a lot so it's harder for me to gauge what he does we'll and doesn't do well. But sounds like he also has a really good arm and has good mobility. Based of his comments he prefers to run as little as possible and is a pure passing QB, which explains him recruiting one of the top QB recruits early on before he committed to UF.It's early but really looking forward to watching Dormady this spring. Chances are he will get some meaningful snaps in games if he wins the #2 job, which I expect him to do. With our QB injury situations the last 5 yrs #2 will have to be ready and prepared to start if anything happens to Dobbs. Hopefully that is one of many streaks we snap this yr. Will be crucial to our season for him to stay healthy all yr and bring the FR along slower and not rely on them to win us games.

Reactions: 4 people
Love what I'm hearing about Dormady so far. He is my personal fave in the last QB class. Think he potentially fits the better of the 3 incoming QB's at what Debord llikes in his QB. Has a great arm, can make all the throws,has the mobility to make defense's respect that he will run and have to defend it. Hopefully he has accuracy to go along with the arm and supposed natural leadership. I know most on here like SJ better but have liked and followed Dormady since he committed. Think he is being underestimated by some fans with his mobility. He will never run a 4.4-4.5 or go 80 yards on a QB run but no UT QB will be asked to do that.He definitely isn't a Peyton or Worley as far as little to no mobility. Put him in the Aaron Rogers type mobility class and that's about all we need from our QB. Really don't see Jennings sticking at QB by next season. Passing is the top thing Debord expects from the QB and sounds like Jennings is way behind Dormady and would Jones to be much more polished as a passer. But in all honesty I just don't know near as much about Jones that I do about QB because of the late commitment. And stats don't usually tell the whole story in HS, especially at QB. Didn't look like Jones ran a lot or passed a lot so it's harder for me to gauge what he does we'll and doesn't do well. But sounds like he also has a really good arm and has good mobility. Based of his comments he prefers to run as little as possible and is a pure passing QB, which explains him recruiting one of the top QB recruits early on before he committed to UF.It's early but really looking forward to watching Dormady this spring. Chances are he will get some meaningful snaps in games if he wins the #2 job, which I expect him to do. With our QB injury situations the last 5 yrs #2 will have to be ready and prepared to start if anything happens to Dobbs. Hopefully that is one of many streaks we snap this yr. Will be crucial to our season for him to stay healthy all yr and bring the FR along slower and not rely on them to win us games.

Exactly what I was thinking :good!:

I think all the QB's CBJ got are going to be special.

Reactions: 1 person
Mosley is a big dude! Looks like he has to get in shape. It will be nice to get him on the field!

Dobbs accuracy improving makes me excited

Me too!..once he gets that worked out and can spread out defense's with all those receivers we have then the offense will be hard to start. Not to mention opening up the run game for guys like Hurd and Kamara. Most excited I have been for the season to start in a while and I get excited for the start every year. But this yr has a different vibe to it.

Good to hear good things about McDowell

Excited to see what Cortez and Gavin Bryant can now that they are getting their opportunity and seeing what a healthy Bates can do now that it's his job to lose. LB and really the whole front 7 will be exciting to see what all these young but extremely talented guys can do.

Having Jennings be the place holder might open up a few trick plays this year because he is athletic enough to run and also has the ability to throw coming off of fake fgs or pats

Reactions: 5 people
Good to hear that the first player Coach Jones praised today was Shy Tuttle. I had expectations for Kahlil to be an instant impact player but I thought it would take Shy longer. Having both these guys live up to their 5 star billing immediately will be huge for us.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back