Vols give Bates shot at middle linebacker

kamoshika

At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, Bates would have been considered too small for the spot before spread offenses became prevalent. Now, the Vols want their middle linebackers to be only slightly bigger than their weakside linebackers, who aren’t much bigger than safeties.

“The game is lateral,” Jancek said. “... What we ask our mike linebacker to do, they gotta be able to run.”

Said Thigpen: “Back in the days when teams lined up in two backs and a tight end were the days when the linebackers were huge. They were 240-245. With the game the way it’s played now with so much nickel, it’s such a perimeter game, you have to have guys who are able to run. I think with a bigger linebacker that you play with, the fatigue part comes in a whole lot faster. So you want guys like the Dillon Bates that are 230 pounds that are really cerebral that play from sideline to sideline.”

Vols give Dillon Bates chance at middle linebacker - News Sentinel Story

Reactions: 9 people
he will get bigger but im really excited about him. Kid runs 4.5. Gonna be fun to watch him and JRM gobble up everything out there.

I really don't think he needs to get bigger. He's 230 already. And playing Mike isn't much different than playing Will.

I really don't think he needs to get bigger. He's 230 already. And playing Mike isn't much different than playing Will.

he probably does need a couple more pounds. Probably not alot though. They updated the roster yesterday and hes listed at 225 actually. He needs a few pounds. He will be do it and be fine though.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd say we will use 2 linebackers a lot and not use a MLB. Cam Sutton is apartentely going to play nickel.

He's said himself he think he needs to get to 240 or so and he's in the methodical process of adding on those last 10lbs. Don't disagree with your thoughts, but he will by virtual definition take more of a physical beating to some degree by playing mike vs will linebacker. He seems to think he needs extra weight to play the position effectively.

If Bates stays healthy hes going to beast out

I agree. I hope to God he flattens a Georgia running back to ease the hurt of that stinking Hershel Walker play I see once a week down here.

Reactions: 3 people
Need his speed on the outside

JRM, McDowell, Elliot Berry and Weatherd. Each of these guys can fly. Thig also said that given the spread offenses we now face, that also need a MLB that can run as well....Bates would clearly full that need as well.

Here's Thig discussing some of this yesterday....

"At a position that lacked true SEC speed a few years ago, linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen is pleased with the athleticism this current batch of linebackers have displayed through the winter months and into the initial spring practices. With the return of Jalen Reeves-Maybin on the outside, Thigpen has turned his early attention inside to the MIKE linebacker.

"I thought at the end of the season we lost some athleticism at the MIKE," he said. "This year we need to gain it back."

One of the moves made toward that end has been the transition of redshirt freshman Dillon Bates from WILL linebacker inside to the MIKE. There, Bates will compete alongside Kenny Bynum -- not to mention Jakob Johnson and Darrin Kirkland, Jr. -- to grasp the nuances of the centerpiece defensive position.

"The MIKE linebacker has to get everybody lined up," explained Thigpen. "For the WILL, the keys are a lot different when you're playing out in space. Then when you're playing in a MIKE position, just the action is a lot faster ... The MIKE is always in the core, and in our system, he's the guy that's gotta get all 11 guys lined up."

Still, the Volunteers expect to have a wealth of team speed at the linebacker position and Thigpen anticipates a healthy dose of competition throughout the spring and into the fall can only enhance the development process."

"With Cortez [McDowell] and Elliot [Berry] at that position now, both those guys can run. Then we've got Dillon and Kenny Bynum -- he's dropped three or four percent of his body fat. He's changed his body and playing a lot faster. What makes guys better at the position is competition."

Reactions: 2 people
Spread offenses have put a premium on defensive mobility, no doubt--but teams like bama and ohio state still like to pound it: see the championship game in which osu bulldozed the spread oregon team with their big offensive line and backs. Bates seems quite a bit smaller than AJ, our previous Mike. We'll see. Good linebackers have legit size AND agility; having just one of those qualities isn't enough.

Spread offenses have put a premium on defensive mobility, no doubt--but teams like bama and ohio state still like to pound it: see the championship game in which osu bulldozed the spread oregon team with their big offensive line and backs. Bates seems quite a bit smaller than AJ, our previous Mike. We'll see. Good linebackers have legit size AND agility; having just one of those qualities isn't enough.

Aj didnt have great agility.Bates is taller and you act like he cant gain weight

I watched Thig's interview and he spells it out perfectly. We wont be seeing any more AJ's at Mike. Looking forward to see Dillon on the field. Upside is off the charts.

The way it sounds it will be exciting to watch the LBs. Hope theses guys stay healthy. And having better DLs will just make them much better. Can't wait to see the production on the field.

VN Store

Back