4th and 1 inside the opponent's 45...

1standgoal

Will this be the year Butch goes for a first down or will he keep punting? IMO the O-line will still be the reason he punts.

Last edited:
Hopefully he punts and pins the opponent deep. That means that our defense is just that good that he trust them to hold the opposing offense.

Reactions: 5 people
Man, yeah, good question. There's this whole school of thought out there, backed by statistics, that coaches should go for it on 4th down a whole lot more regularly than most do. DAJ and others have written about it in these forums. Don't know if Butch buys into that philosophy or not. He has shown glimmers of it in the past couple years, but not enough to call him a disciple.

I mean, the canned coach-speak response is, "we'll make the decision case by case, looking at all the elements of the situation." Yeah, yeah, got that...but over time, game in and game out, is he going for it more often than "traditionally" coaches would?

Only time will tell. But if I had to guess, I'd guess he has a bit of the unorthodox blood in his system that opens him up to ideas like this. So I'm gonna guess yes, he will. Not as much as Oregon, but significantly more than past Vols coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
Les Miles probably goes for it 2 out of 3 times if he's inside his opponents 45... man LSU games are fun to watch.

Reactions: 8 people
Pretty sure he punted from like the 35 against Florida.

I'm pro-Butch but the guy was outcoached by Will Muschamp for the second time in a row that day.

Reactions: 4 people
What kind of game plan is that? There won't be any 4th downs in 2015!

Any possession that ends in a kick is a good possession!

We had 28 yds rushing against UF last year, not many teams go for 4 & 1 when they can't run the ball.

That changes this year.

Reactions: 6 people
Time in the game, score, exact location on the field. How many TO's left? All of those things factor into what decision is made. It is not just any easy lets go for it, as some seem to believe.

Time in the game, score, exact location on the field. How many TO's left? All of those things factor into what decision is made. It is not just any easy lets go for it, as some seem to believe.

Make no mistake. There are very, very few instances where going for it on 4th and 1 on the opponent's 45 is NOT the right call.

Close it was from the 37.

It was 4th and 3 though. It could have been the right call given how good Florida's defense was and how terrible their offense was. Of course in hindsight it was a terrible call because Darr kicked it through the end zone.

Reactions: 1 person
Pretty sure he punted from like the 35 against Florida.

I'm pro-Butch but the guy was outcoached by Will Muschamp for the second time in a row that day.

When the offense can't move the ball, you punt and hope they make a mistake. The bad part against Florida is they DID make mistakes and turned it over to us inside the 20 twice and we failed to score either time -- then gators got a big play on offense and the that was the game

Not punting most likely means Florida beat us worse. This year we should have better talent and an improved O Line

Make no mistake. There are very, very few instances where going for it on 4th and 1 on the opponent's 45 is NOT the right call.

How about when your oline sucks and your quarterback can't run and you are playing a great defense that has an offense that can't go 90+ yards against your defense?

The Florida-UT 2014 game was a sad, sad moment in UT football history. Butch is going to really have to move mountains to make that memory fade.

Reactions: 5 people
How about when your oline sucks and your quarterback can't run and you are playing a great defense that has an offense that can't go 90+ yards against your defense?

Still go for it. The odds of gaining one yard are strong pretty much no matter what.

I believe it depends on the time in the game, score and where momentum is going. Without these three components, you can't make a well advise decision.

I believe it depends on the time in the game, score and where momentum is going. Without these three components, you can't make a well advise decision.

Not with these Computer Commandos....when they play Madden, they go for it every time...every time.

Still go for it. The odds of gaining one yard are strong pretty much no matter what.

I would agree with a great line against an average defense but not the reverse unless of course you have a great short yardage back.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back