Vols coach Butch Jones: ‘We have not arrived’ (Presser Coverage)

WilliamDuVOL

Vols coach Butch Jones: 'We have not arrived'

For those of you interested. Also, some updates.

OTHER TIDBITS

•Jones reported 115 personal-best squats during offseason conditioning. Defensive lineman Kendal Vickers squatted a team-best 710 pounds. Offensive lineman Jashon Robertson repped 225 pounds on the bench press a team-best 33 times. The average player increased their max squat by 50 pounds and their max bench by 25 pounds, Jones said.

•Josh Dobbs needs to set the temperament in practice and become a more impactful leader, according to Jones: “We want a CEO quarterback. We want him to take accountability for everything with our football team and with our offense.”

•Dobbs will spend the spring focused on two things: 1) Learning how to be smart as a runner by not abusing his talent and by protecting his shoulder and learning when to get down, and 2) Playing better with imperfect conditions, like if there’s a bad snap, the football is wet or a play breaks down.

•Jones came up with several adjectives to describe running back Alvin Kamara: “light-footed,” “elusive,” “quick” and “explosive.” Jalen Hurd will wear a non-contact jersey during practice, so Kamara will get many of the reps. “We could have two very dynamic running backs,” Jones said.

•Tennessee’s main focuses this spring are third downs on both sides of the football, creating more defensive disruptions (turnovers and especially deflected passes at the line of scrimmage) and creating more explosive plays on offense.

•As the Vols look for a middle linebacker, much speculation has pointed to Dillon Bates. Jones said Bates, who already has added some weight, needs to gain about 10 more pounds and get to at least 240 if he’s going to be able to play middle linebacker in the SEC. Bates will practice at middle and outside linebacker this spring.

•Jack Jones and Chance Hall will play mostly at offensive tackle. Coleman Thomas will play tackle and center.

•One of the most intriguing competitions will be to determine the backup quarterback.

•Quote of the day: “Playing offensive line is like a fistfight in a phone booth.”

Reactions: 16 people
Thanks for posting. Knew the Spring presser was today, hadn't heard anything from it.

Read today where Butch said about twelve players will either miss spring practice or be limited. Many are "impact" players. We'll see how it shakes out.

GO VOLS!

-- Jones said sophomore Dimarya Mixon is down to about 260 pounds and will move from defensive tackle to defensive end. Redshirt sophomore Kendall Vickers will play defensive tackle. Jones said he currently ranks about 285 pounds, and that he’s hopeful he can develop in the same way Jordan Williams did in his senior year when he moved from defensive end to defensive tackle.

-- ...early enrollees Jack Jones and Chance Hall will both work at offensive tackle in the spring. He said sophomore Coleman Thomas will play center as well as tackle and that redshirt sophomore Brett Kendrick will play guard and tackle.

-- ...Quinten Dormady has been slightly ahead of Jauan Jennings in offseason workouts in the battle for the backup quarterback job because he has more experience in the position, but that he expects Jennings to advance quickly with more reps.

Jones: Vols need to be 'creative' in spring practice - News Sentinel Story

Reactions: 6 people
With Mixon moving to end and so few DT's I could see Charles Mosley filling that role this spring if healthy enough.

Absolutely loving this:

“We needed to get bigger and we needed to get stronger,” Jones said. “That is a direct correlation to playing physical as well. Being better tacklers, being able to maintain blocks. We (think) we made great strides.”

Making great strides in blocking is what we need more than any other single thing going from 2014 into 2015. That is great, great news. Course, our OTs will need more quickness and foot agility than they had last year, too....

Tempering expectations. 8-4 is where we are going to end up. People expecting an SEC title will be disappointed.

8 to 10 wins depending on the breaks.

I'm OK with him saying they aren't ready to compete at an "elite" level. Most here understand that. Eight wins isn't "elite".... far from it. Nine or 10 wins IMO would be a statement by Jones and staff about their ability to coach in the SEC.

@ things I heard that may be bigger than one would think
1. Tennessee does not have the depth it needs yet, still a recruiting class or two away.. So True.. Vols can line up with anyone right now, but injuries put them in bad situations. Have to be 3 deep to be a serious contender and Vols are at a 1 and a half depth right now.
2. Only having 5 DLineman for spring practice effects their progress, but also hurts the OLine progress as well. Hard to improve without a lot of live action and there are not enough QUALITY Dlineman to get those kind of reps.. Also dings an injuries do and will occur this spring.. Hard for an OLine to get better going against sleds and dummys I hate this because the OLine needed a strong spring.

Reactions: 2 people
The way I see it is we have the talent everywhere except OL and we have depth everywhere except OL and RB.

Those two positions will make or break us depending on injuries.

I just watched it and took a shot of Jack every time Coach Jones said the word "individual". So long Volnation, you've been nice folks.

In all seriousness I have a feeling I'm really going to love #Team119, this could be a really fun year.

Also, did anyone else think there was kind of an unintended jab taken at Dooley when Coach Jones was talking about the culture being completely different than it was 3 years ago? I'm sure there have been times where Butch has been in his office thinking "what the hell was that guy doing"?

We are still a very, very young team. But this is a process and we have very, very smart players. The challenge is going to be very, very tough. These injuries are very, very rough to fight through. We're not there yet but like I said it's mental toughness.

We are still a very, very young team. But this is a process and we have very, very smart players. The challenge is going to be very, very tough. These injuries are very, very rough to fight through. We're not there yet but like I said it's mental toughness.

Agree with most points, but we are not a very, very young team..... juniors, seniors and even RS seniors all over the place on both sides of the ball. Now, do we have some key sophomores we're counting on a lot and even an incoming freshman or 2 as well? Yes. But we return more starts and more starters than any other team in the SEC and if you take a look at the projected 2-deep, you'll see all those upperclassmen I referenced.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree with most points, but we are not a very, very young team..... juniors, seniors and even RS seniors all over the place on both sides of the ball. Now, do we have some key sophomores we're counting on a lot and even an incoming freshman or 2 as well? Yes. But we return more starts and more starters than any other team in the SEC and if you take a look at the projected 2-deep, you'll see all those upperclassmen I referenced.

How many of those SRs and Redshirt Srs are starters?

How many of those SRs and Redshirt Srs are starters?

Looking like as many as 9 or 10 seniors/RS seniors could start, depending on how spring and summer play out. That's almost 50%.

Kerbyson, Jackson, Crowder, Howard and Pearson on Offense. Maggitt, Williams, Weatherd, Randolph and McNeil on D.

He's right. We're not as young as some thing. Butch is playing the media and his fellow SEC coaches a bit. Don't buy it. Yes, we need more depth in some positions ... but as KBVol says, we're not that young.

Last edited:
Wait. So we are not back, right?

you ever hear of a coach telling the fans..yeah we are gonna kick every ones ass? you guys wanting a championship team need to learn it takes time to build such a team. this is not madden or ncaa on xbox.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back