Hurd among 2015's top breakout candidates

kamoshika

4. Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd: When I ranked the next great QBs I included Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs. With Hurd on this list, you see why so many are high on Tennessee heading into 2015, people.

Hurd had an excellent freshman season, finishing with 1,120 total yards and seven touchdowns, but with the attention other freshman backs like Georgia's Nick Chubb, LSU's Leonard Fournette, Oklahoma's Samaje Perine and Oregon's Royce Marshall received, Hurd flew under the radar a bit. I expect you'll hear more about Hurd in 2015, even if Dobbs grabs most of the headlines, as quarterbacks often do.

But Dobbs' presence should actually help Hurd's production.

In seven games without Dobbs, Hurd had 495 total yards on 110 touches (4.5 yards per) and three TDs. With Dobbs in the starting lineup he had 625 total yards on 115 touches (5.4 yards per) and four TDs in six games.

Friday Five: The non-QB breakout candidates for 2015 - CBSSports.com

1412948311058.jpeg

Reactions: 15 people
4. Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd: When I ranked the next great QBs I included Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs. With Hurd on this list, you see why so many are high on Tennessee heading into 2015, people.

Hurd had an excellent freshman season, finishing with 1,120 total yards and seven touchdowns, but with the attention other freshman backs like Georgia's Nick Chubb, LSU's Leonard Fournette, Oklahoma's Samaje Perine and Oregon's Royce Marshall received, Hurd flew under the radar a bit. I expect you'll hear more about Hurd in 2015, even if Dobbs grabs most of the headlines, as quarterbacks often do.

But Dobbs' presence should actually help Hurd's production.

In seven games without Dobbs, Hurd had 495 total yards on 110 touches (4.5 yards per) and three TDs. With Dobbs in the starting lineup he had 625 total yards on 115 touches (5.4 yards per) and four TDs in six games.

Friday Five: The non-QB breakout candidates for 2015 - CBSSports.com

1412948311058.jpeg

Hurd would have put up great numbers last year with a SEC caliber line and a offensive system similar to Georgia. Can't wait to see him next season if the Oline progresses and maybe some tweaks to the run game by DeBord.

Reactions: 6 people
Hurd would have put up great numbers last year with a SEC caliber line and a offensive system similar to Georgia. Can't wait to see him next season if the Oline progresses and maybe some tweaks to the run game by DeBord.

Agree. An average line last year and he would've run for 1200+ imo. While I'm not sure if he's quite as dynamic as Chubb, he's still very much a beast in his own right and will put up monster numbers this year if the OL improves and he stays healthy, even while splitting time with Kamara imo.

The Vol offense should be more fun to watch as Debord finds out how to create more miss matches with Tennessee's young offensive talent......Vol's should be able to compete with the best this year and take back Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: 1 person
He may not get as much production because of Alvin Kamara being on the team and the two should split carries. Hoping by having two very good RBs that we can avoid running Dobbs as much.

I was rewatching the Iowa game and his improvement from Vandy to Iowa, with the time off to get healthy/rest, was crazy

I think last season we saw a sliver of Hurd's potential, very exciting

He has to get that shoulder healed.. The fact that he cant do much if any weight lifting this winter and spring could mean he is no stronger next season than he was this last season, when he did no upper body work.. Pray for health!

Reactions: 3 people
He has to get that shoulder healed.. The fact that he cant do much if any weight lifting this winter and spring could mean he is no stronger next season than he was this last season, when he did no upper body work.. Pray for health!

Seemed pretty strong last year. :unsure:

I'm hoping that he works on his speed, a lot, this offeseason. He was supposed to have run a 4.37/40 in HS, and we didn't see that kind of speed last year. His HS tape showed him pulling away, and even Josh Malone couldn't catch him, when Beech played Malone's HS. Hope he works to develop a nasty stiff arm, like Travis Henry used to put to good use. That and 4.4 speed would = a lot of trips to the house. :)

Jalen Hurd - Hudl

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsP9fFfzv4[/youtube]

Man. Carl Lawson and Adoree. What could've been

as a fan, it's just best to accept what you have. We have a good thing going. Even if Lawson couldn't see it in the month Buch was on campus or Adoree wanted to stay in Cali. I think of it like we have a blessing (and arguably the best pass/ edge rushing tandem in the country in 2015) at DE, and anchor DBs in sutton, Randolph, Moseley, TKJr and McNeil. Sure not all Americans but Butch and Jancek know how to use them in situations. Cheers mate. Get ready for a lot more competitive games.

Reactions: 3 people
Bet Kamara shows some skills that Hurd doesn't have, namely the 2nd gear breakaway speed. This board sure will be fun the first time Kamara out rushes Hurd in a big game.

I always have trouble believing 40 times unless they are measured by someone not working for the athlete's school. Also, it's easy to have higher expectations for a player in college after watching his highlights against high school players.

I enjoy watching Hurd play. For a starting freshman RB in the SEC he had just about everything going against him in 2014 (QB change, poor offensive line, a different offensive scheme that calibrates to his style, injuries). However, he still produced a stellar year

I always have trouble believing 40 times unless they are measured by someone not working for the athlete's school. Also, it's easy to have higher expectations for a player in college after watching his highlights against high school players.

I enjoy watching Hurd play. For a starting freshman RB in the SEC he had just about everything going against him in 2014 (QB change, poor offensive line, a different offensive scheme that calibrates to his style, injuries). However, he still produced a stellar year

The QB change helped Hurd.

Hurd has plenty of breakaway speed once he gets past the second level. Maybe not the initial burst, takes him a bit to get going, but if our line would have been opening holes better for him last year we would have seen that speed on display much more often.

I'm hoping that he works on his speed, a lot, this offeseason. He was supposed to have run a 4.37/40 in HS, and we didn't see that kind of speed last year. His HS tape showed him pulling away, and even Josh Malone couldn't catch him, when Beech played Malone's HS. Hope he works to develop a nasty stiff arm, like Travis Henry used to put to good use. That and 4.4 speed would = a lot of trips to the house. :)

Jalen Hurd - Hudl

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsP9fFfzv4[/youtube]

The big cheese, those were the good ol days.

VN Store

Back