Sacks last year

Tnwoodsman

I know we gave up a lot of QB sacks last year. Has anyone done a compilation of sacks while Worley was QB as compared to after Dobbs took over? I know there are a lot of variables and more weight would have to be given to opponents with better pass rushing defenses. Still, I would like to see a per game average for both QBs.

We allowed 43 sacks as a team. Not only that, but it was for -305 yards! Next closest in lost yardage from sacks was Ky with -236.

Worley was sacked 29 times in 7 gms
Dobbs was sacked 12 times in 6 gms (6 of which came in the Missouri gm)

Reactions: 2 people
29 sacks in 7 games for Worley.
12 sacks in 6 games for Dobbs (I think, going off memory for this one).

Conventional wisdom, that Worley had all the tough opponents and Dobbs all the easy one, is wrong.
  • Worley faced 3 strong Ds: Georgia (#16), Florida (#4), and Ole Miss (#12) ... and four weaker Ds: Oklahoma (#51), Utah St (#60), Ark St (#79), and Chattanooga (FCS-NR).
  • Dobbs faced 2 strong Ds: Alabama (#20) and Iowa (#17) ... and four weaker Ds: Mizzou (#47), Vandy (#70), Kentucky (#76), and SC (#91).
That's not identical, but it's about as close as you can get with an odd number of games.

Bottom line is: Dobbs' elusiveness absolutely made a difference. That plus the development (somewhat) of the OLine as the year went along.

NOTE: Total Defense rankings used here are from ESPN.

Last edited:
I wouldn't look at overall defenses in determining sack pressure by team. Chattanooga had an NFL prospect at DE and Missouri had 2, 1 of which will be a first round pick. Eric Striker of Oklahoma wreaked havoc all game and made Worley run for his life.

Not sure there's a stat out there for "sack pressure," other than simple # of sacks. And that becomes a chicken & egg problem, as the team that gave up a lot of sacks contributed significantly to that rating.

Every element of the defense contributes to sacks. Not just the DLine and LBs, the DBacks are in it also, contributing to coverage sacks. So ... other than Total Defense, what stat would you suggest?

Dobbs was without a doubt more elusive... However, no pocket passer would have had a stellar year with our ol last year. With a good ol, Worley would have had a noteworthy season.

Reactions: 1 person
With Dobbs elusiveness, and our OL having one more year in the program, I'm confident we will see our sack total dropped significantly.

29 sacks in 7 games for Worley.
12 sacks in 6 games for Dobbs (I think, going off memory for this one).

Conventional wisdom, that Worley had all the tough opponents and Dobbs all the easy one, is wrong.
  • Worley faced 3 strong Ds: Georgia (#16), Florida (#4), and Ole Miss (#12) ... and four weaker Ds: Oklahoma (#51), Utah St (#60), Ark St (#79), and Chattanooga (FCS-NR).
  • Dobbs faced 2 strong Ds: Alabama (#20) and Iowa (#17) ... and four weaker Ds: Mizzou (#47), Vandy (#70), Kentucky (#76), and SC (#91).
That's not identical, but it's about as close as you can get with an odd number of games.

Bottom line is: Dobbs' elusiveness absolutely made a difference. That plus the development (somewhat) of the OLine as the year went along.

NOTE: Total Defense rankings used here are from ESPN.

Not necessarily an argument, but raising a point on Missouri.

They had half of the sacks of Dobbs(6) as a starter.

Ray will be a first round selection and someone will take a flier on Golden as well.

I think their overall numbers based on total defense are a bit of a misnomer as it relates to sacking the quarterback.

Not necessarily an argument, but raising a point on Missouri.

They had half of the sacks of Dobbs(6) as a starter.

Ray will be a first round selection and someone will take a flier on Golden as well.

I think their overall numbers based on total defense are a bit of a misnomer as it relates to sacking the quarterback.

Yeah, absolutely. It actually surprised me to find Mizzou's Total Defense ranking so low. Same with Oklahoma (though their late-year meltdown helps explain that). Total Defense is clearly not a perfect stat ... then again, what stat is?

I'm all for using some other indicator to compare the two halves of the season, just don't see anything clearly better.

However you slice it, the central point stands: contrary to what some on these forums have said, the second half the year wasn't significantly easier or harder than the first half. That's not why Josh's survivability was so much better than Justin's. It's ok to point at Josh's legs, and an improving OLine, but not the schedule. That's all I was going for.

Cheers, thanks for the comment, I think your point is absolutely valid.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back