Oklahoma

I don't know, but we're gonna whoop their sorry, no good butts. Believe that! It's gonna be like when Cal came to town back in the good days.

Reactions: 7 people
Did they lose anybody or do they have pretty much their whole team back? Just wondering.

They had a bunch of guys at the combine so I'm assuming they lost dudes. But it really doesn't matter. Our young guys are better than theirs. And with an off-season of improvement and another top 5 recruiting class, we're gonna body em when they come to Knoxville this fall.

Reactions: 3 people
It doesn't matter who they have coming back or coming in. It just doesn't matter. We have surpassed them in talent, speed, and the will to win.

If we played them later in the season after they'd pulled their annual "georgia" and lost to a couple of teams they had no business losing to I'd be really confident, but they usually start the year pretty stout.

Reactions: 8 people
Half of this board thinks we were one play away from beating them last year, so we should be in good shape.

Reactions: 13 people
It doesn't matter who they have coming back or coming in. It just doesn't matter. We have surpassed them in talent, speed, and the will to win.

I'm pretty sure their 4-year avg recruiting ranking is very close to us. Plus their Juniors and seniors actually play.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm pretty sure their 4-year avg recruiting ranking is very close to us. Plus their Juniors and seniors actually play.

Don't forget Bob Stoops is one of the best active coaches around. He's made it to 3 championship games and won one of them. A win would be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up

Pretty close. Used 5-year rather than 4-year recruiting rankings because all five of those classes are represented on the field this coming fall. Tennessee's five classes were #5, #5, #29, #21, #13 = average ranking 14.6. Oklahoma's five classes were #17, #13, #17, #11, #11 = average ranking 13.8. Statistically, the talent is about equal. Our best talent is in our youth, and is the best talent on the field (two #5 classes trump all). On the other hand, their best talent is experienced, redshirt juniors and seniors.

So pretty much even overall. Good news for us is, we play them in Neyland this year, and home field is worth up to a touchdown advantage.

The big variable left is, which coaching crew calls a better game, adjusts better as the game progresses, etc. We'll get to see CBJ shine with his on-field abilities in this game. If the two coaching staffs are equally adept in game prep and game calling/adjustments, we'll win by about a touchdown. If CBJ calls/leads a better game than Stoops, we'll win by more.

p.s. The one place I do disagree with you -- our juniors (Sutton, Vereen, Reeves-Maybin, Dobbs, North, Josh Smith, Lewis, O'Brien, Bynum, Blair, Croom) and seniors (McNeil, Weatherd, Howard, Randolph, Maggitt, Williams, Giampapa, Crowder, Jackson, Kerbyson, Pearson) do play, too. A #13 or #21 ranking doesn't mean there's no talent in the class ... just not as much as a #5 class. We got plenty of excellent play-makers among our junior and senior classes. Most all those guys listed above will be in the 2-deep, and many or most will start vs. Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
Sooners are coming to Neyland Stadium this year and will face a welcoming committee comprised of angry Volunteers and they will leave without their wagon intact.
Go Vol's

JP, ur right our 2013 class really does have quiet a few contributors. I guess I was thinking about the '11 and '12 classes we're pretty slim there to me. If u look at Oklahoma O-line a lot of them come from those 2 classes

Reactions: 2 people
JP, ur right our 2013 class really does have quiet a few contributors. I guess I was thinking about the '11 and '12 classes we're pretty slim there to me. If u look at Oklahoma O-line a lot of them come from those 2 classes

Yeah, VOLinNC, you're right, our '13 class does have quite a few good contributors. But don't sell our '11 and '12 classes short (not necessarily signing classes, but current classes, some of these guys are transfers in), they're pretty solid, too: Lewis, O'Brien, Bynum, Blair, Croom, McNeil, Weatherd, and Howard are all '12 (RS juniors and seniors) ... and Randolph, Maggitt, Williams, Giampapa, Crowder, Jackson, Kerbyson, and Pearson are all '11 (RS seniors). So surprisingly good talent for "down years" for us. :)

Gosh, I just say we go undefeated and don't worry about all this stuff. Who's with me

Bama is the only real threat we will face. It certainly is possible. We could lose to UGA, however I don't think we will.

This will be a 4 quarter game. I am cautiously optimistic though. We're due. I expect Neyland to be '06 Cal esque. I was there and we were a hornets nest that afternoon out for blood after the '05 debacle. I expect a similar scene at hopefully an 8:00 espn game.

Reactions: 1 person
Bama is the only real threat we will face. It certainly is possible. We could lose to UGA, however I don't think we will.

I want to beat bama, and Florida badly. Living in Georgia however, I hope to God we beat them. I'm sick of hearing "woof woof" all the time.

VN Store

Back