Athlon top 15 returning SEC players: #6 Derek Barnett

Fingers

Reactions: 6 people
Be afraid, be very afraid!

Fear the bonecrunchers of the Tennessee D line!

The Orange swarm Vols D is out to get you!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I have never been so excited about our defense. Absolutely cannot wait to see Barnett, McKenzie, and Tuttle all lined up together!

GBO!!!

And I'm pretty confident Kyle Phillips will be better. Man our D-Line will be straight up filthy next year.

Reactions: 7 people
Dang, getting no love here. Dobbs, Sutton, Maggitt?? Even Barnett was projected as a lower "top player" than Nkemdiche when, as a true freshman, he had twice the tackles, 5 times the sacks and 5 times the TFLs. I understand that RM is a primarily a tackle and Derek is a DE, but for crying out loud.

Nkemdiche is a top tier player but seems to get more press because of his last name just rolls off the tongue. I've heard of him relentlessly from the press even before he played his 1st college games. It seems like some players the press adopts and just want them to achieve and be Stars.

Reactions: 2 people
They have Jeremy Johnson # 15 on their list and Josh Dobbs doesn't even make their list. That's Bulls@#$. There is no way that Jeremy Johnson should be ranked ahead of Josh Dobbs preseason.

They have Jeremy Johnson # 15 on their list and Josh Dobbs doesn't even make their list. That's Bulls@#$. There is no way that Jeremy Johnson should be ranked ahead of Josh Dobbs preseason.

Who is Jeremy Johnson?? Look I know who he is but starting 1 game and playing cleanup 4 games doesn't mean you should get top 15 SEC players, system game plan will help him be a better QB but he is not Nick Marshall.

Jeremy Johnson 28 -37 436-yards 75.7-Comp % 11.78yrds per pass 3-touchdown 0-intersections 201.4- rating

Last edited:
It's been quite a while since I've read a quality college football article. I'm beginning to think one doesn't even exist.

Reactions: 2 people
Nkemdiche is a top tier player but seems to get more press because of his last name just rolls off the tongue. I've heard of him relentlessly from the press even before he played his 1st college games. It seems like some players the press adopts and just want them to achieve and be Stars.

Iirc, he was virtually nonexistent vs our, shall I say, somewhat porous OL last year. What exactly has this kid done to even remotely approach his hype/expectations coming out of HighSchool? 4 sacks and 12 TFLs in 2 seasons/24 career games. Not willing to call him a bust yet, but he's barely treading water imo.

Impressive defense. Barnett is a complete DE as he plays the run well. If you combine his sacks and TFLs im not sure there was a better player in college. Weathered has another year in system.
Phillips will be able to come along. Another year with a healthy Maggitt should make this defense a terror at the LOS.

I am excited to see what Barnett will be able to accomplish this year with ST and KM coming in. Our defense should be hard to run against this year.

Barnett should be ranked ahead of Robert Nkemdiche.

Yep, if actual game performance/production trumps unfulfilled hype coming out of HighSchool it should. Unfortunately, it appears those tangible measures don't count to some of the yahoos writing these articles.

Reactions: 1 person
Iirc, he was virtually nonexistent vs our, shall I say, somewhat porous OL last year. What exactly has this kid done to even remotely approach his hype/expectations coming out of HighSchool? 4 sacks and 12 TFLs in 2 seasons/24 career games. Not willing to call him a bust yet, but he's barely treading water imo.

This is why I don't read Athlon any more.

Dang, getting no love here. Dobbs, Sutton, Maggitt?? Even Barnett was projected as a lower "top player" than Nkemdiche when, as a true freshman, he had twice the tackles, 5 times the sacks and 5 times the TFLs. I understand that RM is a primarily a tackle and Derek is a DE, but for crying out loud.

...and this

Who is Jeremy Johnson?? Look I know who he is but starting 1 game and playing cleanup 4 games doesn't mean you should get top 15 SEC players, system game plan will help him be a better QB but he is not Nick Marshall.

Jeremy Johnson 28 -37 436-yards 75.7-Comp % 11.78yrds per pass 3-touchdown 0-intersections 201.4- rating

He's a better QB than Nick Marshall but he'd rather throw than run and that doesn't fit their system. I despise Auburn but Jeremy Johnson is reeeally good, I'd say he's better than Dobbs.

Didn't Ole Miss' opponents almost always have to shade extra protection to his side of the line and more often than not avoid him? It reminds me somewhat of how the best corners take away that side. If he stops people from going at him all together, that means he's elite, whether there are statistics or not.

It's been quite a while since I've read a quality college football article. I'm beginning to think one doesn't even exist.

Click bait is taking over, sadly. I've noticed that even the 247Sports guys primarily write click bait articles now.

Yep, if actual game performance/production trumps unfulfilled hype coming out of HighSchool it should. Unfortunately, it appears those tangible measures don't count to some of the yahoos writing these articles.

no. there are just simply alot of things in football that don't get picked up by the stat sheet. there's a reason the saying in football is "tape don't lie." not "stat sheet don't lie."

Nkemdiche is projected to go in the top 10 of the draft next year. He must be doing something right cause NFL teams wouldn't waste a top 10 pick on a guy simply based on his hype from high school.

Nkemdiche is projected to be a top 10 pick next year. Sorry but there is more to football than what you see on the stat sheet. Nkemdiche is a physical freak that was the key cog for the nation's #1 scoring defense last year.

Derek's great but being placed behind Nkemdiche is not slight. That is a helluva player.

Didn't Ole Miss' opponents almost always have to shade extra protection to his side of the line and more often than not avoid him? It reminds me somewhat of how the best corners take away that side. If he stops people from going at him all together, that means he's elite, whether there are statistics or not.

So, the top player in the country coming out of HighSchool 2 years ago should only be expected to produce 2 sacks and 6 tackles for loss per year because they "shade extra protection" to him. I understand him getting extra attention, but if he was half the player he's supposed to be, extra attention or not, he'd have posted a helluva lot more than 4 sacks and 12 TFLs in 2 seasons. Color me me not impressed to this point.

VN Store

Back