Butch Jones and Urban Meyer

VOLcomCameron

who else sees the numerous similarities between the two? I hate Urbie and I think character wise butch is a better person, but I think we can all agree cryer is the best coach in the nation

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The ability to win at Ohio State and Florida doesn't make you the best coach in the nation.

And I don't see that many similarities between them, except for their offensive schemes.

Reactions: 8 people
The ability to win at Ohio State and Florida doesn't make you the best coach in the nation.

And I don't see that many similarities between them, except for their offensive schemes.

How about the ability to win at Bowling Green and Utah? If Meyer isn't the best, he's 1a.

Reactions: 15 people
...have both eaten cold pizza on a golf cart after bad losses...

Oh...and Urban is a multi-National Champion...which separates him by miles...

who else sees the numerous similarities between the two? I hate Urbie and I Butch is a much better person, but I think we can all agree cryer is the best coach in the nation

Urban had accomplished far more at the same stage in his career. Butch may be a great coach by the end of his career and possibly better than urban someday but at the moment I don't see many similarities at all.

Reactions: 5 people

Good point fla and ohio are loaded with in state talent.

who else sees the numerous similarities between the two? I hate Urbie and I Butch is a much better person, but I think we can all agree cryer is the best coach in the nation

Did you want to mention some of those similarities? Honestly, I don't see a ton at this point.

Reactions: 1 person
How about the ability to win at Bowling Green and Utah? If Meyer isn't the best, he's 1a.

Agree. Meyer has won everywhere he's coached, at a very high level. He's won a total of 3 national championships and has done so with 2 different programs. I don't like the guy either, but he needs to be given his due.

As with most things, comparisons are difficult. Depends on a lot of variables. If you take just pure good coaching, I think Gary Pinkell may be the best. It is not necessarily how many championships you have. It has a lot to do with what you can do with what you have to work with.

Reactions: 6 people
Did you want to mention some of those similarities? Honestly, I don't see a ton at this point.

Very similiar offense. Both won at smaller schools (but that can be said about any higher level coach).

The ability to win at Utah puts him in the conversation.

That's just the tip of the iceberg!

• Both are Head Coaches at major programs.
  • Both were born in the '60s.
  • Both grew up in Big 10 country.
  • Both have the letters B and U in their first names (not common letters to have!)
  • Both have 5-letter first names (really nickname, for Butch).
  • Both have 5-letter middle names (Allen and Frank, haha!)
  • Both have 5-letter last names.
  • Both have patronymic suffixes (Jr. and III)
  • Both have spent most of their lives in the SEC and B10 footprints (though not necessarily associated with those conferences all that time).
  • Both attended smaller universities (Ferris and Cincinnati).
  • Both have ties to Univ. of Cincinnati (one as player, the other as coach).
  • Both are married.
  • Both have three children.
  • Both would agree this is a silly thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

Meyer is too damn cocky. I was thinking that I honestly like Saban more than him. But Florida and Ohio State definitely will always pull talent regardless of the coach.

Butch Jones and Urban Meyer

They are both in the bible. One fed his people, the other wears red

Very similiar offense. Both won at smaller schools (but that can be said about any higher level coach).

That's it? Butch won at a decent clip at Central Michigan and Cincinnati. Was 50-27, won or tied for 4 conf titles in 6 years....nothing to sneeze at. He then came to Tennessee and, although he is doing a good job rebuilding the program and has been outstanding at bringing in great talent, has piled up a number of bad losses while going 12-13 in his first 2 years. Granted he was cleaning up after Dooley, so he gets a pass in large part because of how far our program had sunk.

On the other hand, Urban went 17-6 at Bowling Green, 22-2 at Utah, then took over a Florida program that many said Zook ran into the ground and won a national championship in year 2 after compiling a 22-4 record. Not a whole lotta similarities there to date.

That's just the tip of the iceberg!

• Both are Head Coaches at major programs.
  • Both were born in the '60s.
  • Both grew up in Big 10 country.
  • Both have the letters B and U in their first names (not common letters to have!)
  • Both have 5-letter first names (really nickname, for Butch).
  • Both have 5-letter middle names (Allen and Frank, haha!)
  • Both have 5-letter last names.
  • Both have patronymic suffixes (Jr. and III)
  • Both have spent most of their lives in the SEC and B10 footprints (though not necessarily associated with those conferences all that time).
  • Both attended smaller universities (Ferris and Cincinnati).
  • Both have ties to Univ. of Cincinnati (one as player, the other as coach).
  • Both are married.
  • Both have three children.
  • Both would agree this is a silly thread.

Attachments

• 3a608769791ab3dfde472d2d8670fe11aa71328c5a83501be25d3d568a4fbacb.jpg
    3a608769791ab3dfde472d2d8670fe11aa71328c5a83501be25d3d568a4fbacb.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6

VN Store

Back