Debord's Contract

That would have made him the 64th highest paid assistant (offense or defense) last year.

CBJ has a plan and he is working it....at the end of the day if we are not where we expect to be, CBJ has not done what we need him to do. From where i sit i see us being back on top and probably moreso than we were in the 90's. We have got a big time winner. GO VOLS

Mike DeBord

2 year deal worth $500,000 per season.

What do you all think?

Maybe a little too much $, but I'm starting to get a good feeling about this hire.

I have always said that Debord was brought in to groom CZA. Look for CZA to maybe start to take over play calling duties sometime next year. And then will take over full time in 17.

And after reading that his base pay is only $200K, I am more so inclined to believe this.

:rock:I think it's CBJ offense. CMD is the caretaker. I think it's a great hire for this point in CBJ building process. This season is showtime for CBJ.:crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
It was the safest hire until the foundation is in place. Should help the Oline unit a lot. After 2nd year, look for Azzanni to be the OC.

I have heard this said by many. I personally don't understand it. If the offense is going well, which we all hope it is, then DeBord is not going to be replaced. The man is 58 I believe. He has more than 2 years left in him most likely.

Agree Coach DeBord is with the team much longer than two years, if successful.

Agree Coach Azzanni moves up to OC within a couple years, if successful.

Squaring that circle? Perhaps some kind of 3-way rotation of duties. Here's one possible example:

--> Azzanni to OC
--> Elder to WR & TE Coach, maybe Passing Game Coordinator
--> DeBord to QB Coach & Special Teams coordinator, along with Assistant Head Coach title to offset the "demotion"

CMD's extensive past experience with all facets of offensive & transition football is the key that unlocks possibilities like this. His selflessness, willingness to play a supporting role to the younger coaches (from Butch on down) that he has mentored and developed over the years is the grease that makes transitions like this realistic.

Will it play out this way? Too early to tell. Could it? Absolutely.

Glad to have Coach DeBord in the Vols family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The probability of DeBord calling a play is low.

Butch will most likely call the offense while DeBord will be focused on the offensive line.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back