Debord on Dobbs

get ready boys, we are about to go back to a pro-style offense... less and less of read-option/dual-threat.... hope not, but things are starting to point that way with Debord... I hope Butch keeps his word and stays with the existing offense because after seeing what we can do with it with the skill players we currently have, (all healthy) there should be no reason to stray from what works....

Reactions: 1 person
get ready boys, we are about to go back to a pro-style offense... less and less of read-option/dual-threat.... hope not, but things are starting to point that way with Debord... I hope Butch keeps his word and stays with the existing offense because after seeing what we can do with it with the skill players we currently have, (all healthy) there should be no reason to stray from what works....

I doubt he'll ever put a qb under center, or at least not very often in a season. The only reason we were a dual threat system last year was because the line was so bad. He'll actually have time to throw after the read this year.

They can and will make the changes they want, I'm sure of that. We're in Year 3 and CBJ made the "comfortable hire", so they better not plan on explaining any poor offensive performances to "installing a new system" or "learning new terminology" or any crap like that.

Reactions: 2 people

Adding pro-style wrinkles to the offense will make it much more explosive, IMO. I think Butch realized last year that his offense is a bit limited in the SEC in certain situations (red zone in particular). Ohio State's offense could be a good example of the changes DeBord will bring to the table.

Reactions: 7 people
Nice article, but I'm still hoping with crossed fingers to hear these three words from CMD concerning Josh: "greatly" and "improved" and "accuracy". Don't much care which order he says them in, as long as they're the three key words in a single sentence. :)

Reactions: 3 people

i seriously doubt we will go to a pro style offense, the funny thing is, is that butch calls it that anyway. i do hope we have a more advanced maybe pro style based passing game and i also hope we continue to throw the ball on 1st downs. a few other things i hope we improve and change are maybe having dobbs run a little less and really take full advantage of the insanely talented and deep WRs and TE we have, think about itÂ… Marquez North, Pig Howard, Von Pearson, Josh Malone, Josh smith, Jason Croom (people forget it a great redzone threat), preston williams, and hurd and kamara are also above average pass catchers. We should honestly be a pass first team. if you look at our stats last year we were 4th in the conference for pass attempts i think it definitely needs to stay that way or maybe higher, we just were getting terrible yards after catch. as far as having dobbs run less i mean the qb inverted veer plays with dobbs running up the middle and having him taking shots late in the game. I really hope debord can put it together this could and should be the most productive offense in the SEC if our Oline plays well:dance2::td::fireworks:

Last edited:
He sounds like "were going to do all that and whatever whatever. And we will prepare whatever for whenever we need it and all that. Just you wait and see."

Good article, but would it hurt for them to proofread it at least once before posting?

get ready boys, we are about to go back to a pro-style offense... less and less of read-option/dual-threat....

i seriously doubt we will go to a pro style offense, the funny thing is, is that butch calls it that anyway.

Yeah, I've been wondering what Butch's definition of "pro style" is, ever since he explicitly named it while introducing CMD.

At its root, "pro style" means nothing more or less than any offense mimicking those of professional teams (which themselves have quite a bit of variety). So that doesn't help much.

Wikipedia thinks pro-style "generally" means that the offense is more complex than most college offenses. Then it goes on to list such platitudes as "offensive lines that are adept at both pass and run blocking" (ok, so that's every offense in America from junior high to pro level, except Army)..."quarterbacks with good decision-making abilities" (duh)... and "running backs capable of running between the tackles" (= most of them, given some blocking). So that was very unhelpful.

Wikipedia also says that pro-style offenses often employ fullbacks more commonly than college or HS offenses. I'm not sure this is true, but am positive it doesn't match Butch's definition (we don't even have a fullback on roster, not last year or this year).

Still trying to draw anything useful out of Wikipedia, one section notes that "the running game is primarily built off zone blocking or involves a power run scheme. The passing game as a result often employs play-action...."

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Two elements of that description fit Tennessee's 2014 offense: zone blocking, and a passing game built primarily off play-action.

Which, paradoxically, would seem to indicate less true drop-back pocket passing than you would normally expect from a "pro style" offense.

In conclusion, hell if I know what Butch means when he says we're a pro-style offense. I'm just gonna stick with thinking of us as a Butch-style offense and learn it as it continues to evolve. :good!:

Last edited:
Hopefully this silences the fans who say we have to have a true DT QB. It's a bonus to have a guy who can take off and get some yards running it or keeping it a few times on zone reads but if you aren't a good passer then you're the wrong QB for our offense. Think we see why since Butch has been here he has offered mostly prostyle QB's that can run it just enough to keep defense's on their toes. Exactly why I have a hard time seeing Jennings stay at QB here. Dobb's rarely ran it in HS, Dormady can run when he needs to but is a pure passer with accuracy and a strong arm. S.Jones is pass first and has said he prefers to sit back and throw it all over the field. Kendall also can run it but is a pure passer and does it well. But it was pretty obvious what kind of QB they want by the guys they have offered since being here.Worley obviously wasn't an ideal fit not because of his lack of mobility but his lack of arm strength and accuracy but they had to make due with what they had until they started getting their guys.

The one thing I continue to wonder about Deboard is why, if he really is that good, wasn't he working as a coordinator the last few years. Michigan hired a number of coordinators and coaches in the last few years, not him, even though he was on campus for a good part of it. Of course he knows all the drills, plays, and footwork. He's been in football since before Bart Starr, I would think he's picked some things up. No my real question is when he's in the mix of it, the heat of the battle, can he call the plays that exploit the defense. I can't say obviously, but we'll see if we see a new wrinkle come Spring.

Same with Dobbs. Really smart and cool guy, would love to have a meal with him sometime and pick his brain about playing QB in the SEC. And he can run, be elusive, and pass a 12 yard pass over the middle. But does he have the arm to complete 15+ yard pass consistently. I've seen him throw at least a couple of dozen of ducks over the past two years, some not much more than 10 yards, often in the dirt or in the stands. So I can't say. We'll see if he can develop more accuracy in the coming year. I know he's a smart dude and will make a great color commentator in the coming years (if not an aero-space engineer), but will he make a great QB, IDK. As the article says, you still gotta be able to pass that ball.

Last edited:
DeBord is surprised that they let black and white players stay in the same dorms, things sure have changed since his last coaching job.

I heard Ainge say that 60% of pass plays don't go as scripted. So if Dobbs never got a called QB run he will still get plenty of opportunity to run the ball.

The one thing I continue to wonder about Deboard is why, if he really is that good, wasn't he working as a coordinator the last few years. Michigan hired a number of coordinators and coaches in the last few years, not him, even though he was on campus for a good part of it. Of course he knows all the drills, plays, and footwork. He's been in football since before Bart Starr, I would think he's picked some things up. No my real question is when he's in the mix of it, the heat of the battle, can he call the plays that exploit the defense. I can't say obviously, but we'll see if we see a new wrinkle come Spring.

Same with Dobbs. Really smart and cool guy, would love to have a meal with him sometime and pick his brain about playing QB in the SEC. And he can run, be elusive, and pass a 12 yard pass over the middle. But does he have the arm to complete 15+ yard pass consistently. I've seen him throw at least a couple of dozen of ducks over the past two years, some not much more than 10 yards, often in the dirt or in the stands. So I can't say. We'll see if he can develop more accuracy in the coming year. I know he's a smart dude and will make a great color commentator in the coming years (if not an aero-space engineer), but will he make a great QB, IDK. As the article says, you still gotta be able to pass that ball.

That is the one thing that makes me wonder about Dobbs.He hasn't shown the arm strength to be able to make all the throws and definitely not the accuracy. Worley struggled with the same issues but with a weaker arm than Josh. Kept waiting for Worley to because consistently more accurate and he just never did. Not much you can do on lack of arm strength. Just hope Josh can improve his accuracy and not continue missing guys bad on intermediate and deeper passes. Too many times with Worley and Dobbs we saw receivers wide open and they were bouncing in front of the receivers, sailing way over their head, thrown to the opposing teams players or just nowhere close to anybody. Hopefully Debord is the answer to helping Dobbs fix that. With the talent we have at WR we should be utilizing that instead of wasting it.

I heard Ainge say that 60% of pass plays don't go as scripted. So if Dobbs never got a called QB run he will still get plenty of opportunity to run the ball.

Really don't think they wanting their QB running anymore than he has to. Obviously there will be times he doesn't have time to throw it and has to take off but with how important the pass game is to the success of this offense you don't want your QB taking more hits than he has too. When you have a Hurd/Kamara tandom in the backfield you let them take that abuse and limit the hits on the QB. Dobbs doesn't slide and takes hits that he shouldn't have to take if he would slide or run out of bounds. He is in the wrong league to try and take on too many defensive players.

Really don't think they wanting their QB running anymore than he has to. Obviously there will be times he doesn't have time to throw it and has to take off but with how important the pass game is to the success of this offense you don't want your QB taking more hits than he has too. When you have a Hurd/Kamara tandom in the backfield you let them take that abuse and limit the hits on the QB. Dobbs doesn't slide and takes hits that he shouldn't have to take if he would slide or run out of bounds. He is in the wrong league to try and take on too many defensive players.
I agree with everything u said, he does need to try to avoid the big hits and let the RB's take the lick. But IMO Dobbs best weapon is his feet so we don't want to take that away. Maybe just limit his carrys from 20 to 10-12 a game

I agree with everything u said, he does need to try to avoid the big hits and let the RB's take the lick. But IMO Dobbs best weapon is his feet so we don't want to take that away. Maybe just limit his carrys from 20 to 10-12 a game

Josh averaged 17 carries per game last year. I hope he's able to cut that in half this year in general. Of course, if he needs to tote it 15-20 times in a particular game, it's great to know that he can do it and be very effective.

Josh averaged 17 carries per game last year. I hope he's able to cut that in half this year in general. Of course, if he needs to tote it 15-20 times in a particular game, it's great to know that he can do it and be very effective.

(Knock on wood) Dobbs has been pretty healthy so if he's needed to tote the rock I think he'll be fine. Hopefully tho the OL will be improved and the WR will have time to get open more often.
Then if our 2-deep at RB can be what we hope that would take so much weight off Dobbs.

Yeah, I've been wondering what Butch's definition of "pro style" is, ever since he explicitly named it while introducing CMD.

At its root, "pro style" means nothing more or less than any offense mimicking those of professional teams (which themselves have quite a bit of variety). So that doesn't help much.

Wikipedia thinks pro-style "generally" means that the offense is more complex than most college offenses. Then it goes on to list such platitudes as "offensive lines that are adept at both pass and run blocking" (ok, so that's every offense in America from junior high to pro level, except Army)..."quarterbacks with good decision-making abilities" (duh)... and "running backs capable of running between the tackles" (= most of them, given some blocking). So that was very unhelpful.

Wikipedia also says that pro-style offenses often employ fullbacks more commonly than college or HS offenses. I'm not sure this is true, but am positive it doesn't match Butch's definition (we don't even have a fullback on roster, not last year or this year).

Still trying to draw anything useful out of Wikipedia, one section notes that "the running game is primarily built off zone blocking or involves a power run scheme. The passing game as a result often employs play-action...."

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Two elements of that description fit Tennessee's 2014 offense: zone blocking, and a passing game built primarily off play-action.

Which, paradoxically, would seem to indicate less true drop-back pocket passing than you would normally expect from a "pro style" offense.

In conclusion, hell if I know what Butch means when he says we're a pro-style offense. I'm just gonna stick with thinking of us as a Butch-style offense and learn it as it continues to evolve. :good!:

So did Joe Gibbs win three Super Bowls with a college offense? Peyton has pretty much set all the passing records with TEs doing the blocking. With Russell Wilson almost having back to back Super Bowl winning seasons in which he had 100+ yard rushing days, the traditional idea of pro-style has been blurred...I'll combat this by enjoying what we see if it works. :thumbsup:

So did Joe Gibbs win three Super Bowls with a college offense? Peyton has pretty much set all the passing records with TEs doing the blocking. With Russell Wilson almost having back to back Super Bowl winning seasons in which he had 100+ yard rushing days, the traditional idea of pro-style has been blurred...I'll combat this by enjoying what we see if it works. :thumbsup:

Amen, brother, the more I try to figure it out, the more clueless I get. So I'ma just let all the definitions pass me by, and enjoy our offense without any tags. :)

(Knock on wood) Dobbs has been pretty healthy so if he's needed to tote the rock I think he'll be fine. Hopefully tho the OL will be improved and the WR will have time to get open more often.
Then if our 2-deep at RB can be what we hope that would take so much weight off Dobbs.

I think I heard on Swain's Show that Butch and DeBord are looking at adding a pretty significant running game package with Pig to compliment Hurd/Kamara. Excited to see how this plays out. I agree with you in hoping that our RBs can be effective enough to take pressure off Joshua and keep him healthy.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back