The greatest Vol ever will retire as the most prolific passer ever!

gunner

The Big Orange Gun
The Denver Broncos announced yesterday that Peyton Manning will return for at least one more season in the NFL. Manning already holds many NFL records including most career passing TD's at 530 and with just an average season he will pass Brent Favre in most career passing yards and most career wins. That by definition will make him the most prolific passer in the history of the NFL. He's been to 14 pro bowls and won 5 NFL MVP's. Not bad for a guy who wasn't good enough to win the Heisman Trophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 people
I've got Reggie White right up there with Manning too. #2 career sack leader in NFL, only 2 behind #1 with 3 fewer years in the game, and like 38 ahead of #3. Also had a Super Bowl ring. The case could be made for greatest defensive player in NFL history, IMO. It's great to be Tennessee Vol!

Reactions: 3 people
Hope he's able to pull it off. He was banged up pretty bad to end last season, and his arm strength is bad enough at this point in time after the neck surgery to be adding on other injuries.

Manning has had an incredible career--but he's been a victim of the tremendous playoff expectations that come with his regular-season performances. He got pilloried by Denver fans after last year's Indy loss in the playoffs. He wasn't good in that game--the whole Broncos offense was bad. He was really criticized for not jogging for a desperately needed first down in the second half when Broncos were trailing, struggling on offense, and there was no one within 30 yards of him. Instead, he threw an incomplete pass. I hope he plays well this year and holds up over the course of a long season. The guy has been too good for too long to get vilified for not winning the Super Bowl every year.

Reactions: 5 people
Manning has had an incredible career--but he's been a victim of the tremendous playoff expectations that come with his regular-season performances. He got pilloried by Denver fans after last year's Indy loss in the playoffs. He wasn't good in that game--the whole Broncos offense was bad. He was really criticized for not jogging for a desperately needed first down in the second half when Broncos were trailing, struggling on offense, and there was no one within 30 yards of him. Instead, he threw an incomplete pass. I hope he plays well this year and holds up over the course of a long season. The guy has been too good for too long to get vilified for not winning the Super Bowl every year.

I guess the Denver fans didn't realize that Manning was hurt most of the second half of the season and in the game that you are referring to against the Colts.

Nothing would make me happier to see Manning go undefeated next season and throw for 60 TD's and 6,000 yards while wining a SB and beating Brady and the Pats along the way!

Manning deserves to go out on top, much like Elway did.

Reactions: 9 people
i've got reggie white right up there with manning too. #2 career sack leader in nfl, only 2 behind #1 with 3 fewer years in the game, and like 38 ahead of #3. Also had a super bowl ring. The case could be made for greatest defensive player in nfl history, imo. It's great to be tennessee vol!

aman........i am with you

Reactions: 1 person
I truly believe next season will be Peytons last. Man I pray he goes out on top and gets that 2nd super bowl ring.

I'm not a fan of Denver,but I will record every game to have in the archive . I agree Peyton and Reggie are the all time greats.

What does that mean? If you're the #1 or 2 seed shouldn't there be expectations?

Greatest Vol ever? Davey Crockett, king of the wild frontier. 354 lifetime kills, 14 time All Bowie Knife, 5 bears wrestled, defeated and skinned despite Runner-Up snub at the Alamo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Some of y'all killing me with your attempt at humor or lack thereof!

Last edited:
For me that record isn't that imporrant. Does anyone (outside of Green Bay) consider Favre as the best ever? The record would be nice but it won't take away from the other debates.

I would humbly offer that we reserve the title of "Greatest Vol(s) Ever" for the four players who gave their lives in WWII:

Bill Nowling (KIA 10 August 1944)
Rudy Klarer (KIA 6 January 1945)
Clyde Fuson (KIA 4 December 1944)
Willis Tucker (KIA 28 November 1944)

Little crosses stand above the dead. They seldom stand alone. Men see to that. - Cpl. Elton Mackin, "Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die"

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
I would humbly offer that we reserve the title of "Greatest Vol(s) Ever" for the four players who gave their lives in WWII:

Little crosses stand above the dead. They seldom stand alone. Men see to that. - Cpl. Elton Mackin, "Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die"

Good point, and as a veteran of the U.S. Army and Op Desert Storm myself, I completely understand where you a coming from. I meant no disrespect to any of those men or their families. I was simply referring to accomplishments on the football field that's why I posted this in the football forum.

Reactions: 4 people
Peyton needs to win another Super Bowl this season to be back in the conversation of GOAT for an NFL qb imo. That would make him the only qb to win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams. I hate that so much is placed on rings, but it is what it is.

Reactions: 1 person
For me that record isn't that imporrant. Does anyone (outside of Green Bay) consider Favre as the best ever? The record would be nice but it won't take away from the other debates.

Ranking the 16 greatest quarterbacks in NFL history | FOX Sports

Despite his lack of success in the post season, Manning comes in third on this list only Montana, and Brady are ranked higher, and it's because thier teams won more Super Bowls than Manning's teams.

Good point, and as a veteran of the U.S. Army and Op Desert Storm myself, I completely understand where you a coming from. I meant no disrespect to any of those men or their families. I was simply referring to accomplishments on the football field that's why I posted this in the football forum.

There's certainly room for both in VolNation. We can remember and honor our war heroes (thank you for that, OneManGang) and at the same time honor our football legends (thanks for this thread, Gunner). Let's distinguish them by saying that Nowling, Klarer, Fuson and Tucker stand tall as great American Patriot Vols, while Manning and White stand tall as legends on the playing field.

Thank you both for raising these great Volunteers up for us to salute them all. :salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back