Managing expectations, injuries key to Vols' growth

kamoshika

Not surprisingly, the building starts with signal-caller Josh Dobbs, the player that's perhaps the single most responsible for cranking up the hype machine after orchestrating a 4-1 finish to the 2014 season. And you might not recognize him a couple months removed from the TaxSlayer Bowl blowout.

"He's as driven as I've ever seen him," Jones said, calling him "a completely different individual."

"Doing the extra, coming in, spending time. Him and Coach DeBord (offensive coordinator Mike DeBord) are inseparable. Just talking life, getting to know each other.

"But he's as driven as I've ever seen him," Jones added, "and he's affecting his teammates around him on a positive leadership influence. And he's really helped the younger quarterbacks as well."

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1743018

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds real good. Can't wait to see the product on the field. :crossfingers:

GO VOLS!

I really believe Dobbs will be in NYC for the Heisman presentation. don't know if he'll win, but he'll be a finalist. that show great I think he'll be this season.

I'm so excited to see how good Dobbs can be by our first game getting the vast majority of the 1st team reps. Just look at how much better he looked from Vandy to Iowa with those bowl practices.

Reactions: 1 person
That list of injured players is way too long still.

It's a big concern that so many guys are going to miss all of spring practice and on up into the summer.

That's going to seriously slow down their growth and ability to take the next step up unfortunately.

I sure hope all of them are ready to rock when the season starts.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

The injuries are mostly the result of the transition from Adidas to the poor fitting Nike products. The new stuff should be broken in and fit better by the fall.
:rolleyes: GO BIG ORANGE :rolleyes:

Pretty much every team in CFB this year could be crippled by too many injuries. The Vols are no worse off in that respect than the vast majority of programs. Saying that extraordinary injuries could hurt the season is like saying that extraordinary penalties or turnovers could hurt the season.... and those are things a coach is tasked with limiting and managing.

one word with dobbs. Accuracy.

You are typically a pretty pessimistic poster. I am not averse to looking at the "negative" side of things along with the positive.

Honestly, I do not see many roster weaknesses with this team. That could be diminished by injury but it really shouldn't be if the development of the team is being managed well.

QB- very good and possibly great.

The back ups are Fr but on 3 occasions Fulmer started true Fr QB's. In '94, the Vols inserted Manning as a Fr after injuries to Colquitt and Helton AND a 1-3 start. He led them to a 7-1 record. They finished 2nd in the East. In 2000, Clausen started all the way (iirc) and led UT to an 8-4 record and tied for 2nd in the East at 5-3. In 04, Ainge and Schaeffer split the role as Fr leading UT to a 10-3 record and 1st in the East.

The short answer is that a Fr QB isn't a death sentence.

RB- very good at the top but little depth

WR- depth, experience, development, and talent

OL- depth, talent (overall), experience, and development. Like last year, it comes down to tackle play. UT has solid options two or 3 deep in the interior.

TE- very solid with Wolf, Ellis, and Creamer.

DE- all SEC solid and sufficiently deep

DT- normally would be a concern due to depth but IMHO McKenzie is the most college ready Fr DT I have ever seen at UT. A lot of youth but a ton (literally) of potential.

LB- good returning experience but excellent returning talent. I think you'll see McDowell emerge much the way JRM did. Weatherd's play should improve. Bynum provides a solid and steady option at MLB while younger, more talented players come along.

Secondary- deeper and more talented than any UT secondary in a very long time. Probably more than 10 years. Sutton, Moseley, Randolph, TKjr, McNeil, and Swafford are proven returning performers. There is gobs of talent behind them.

ST's- returning a solid Soph kicker. Looking for a punter but there appear to be 2 or 3 solid options.

I simply do not understand the pessimism of the "posivols" who do not see anything less than 8 wins with this roster as an underachievement. For good measure, UT returns 18 of 22 starters and about 39 of 44 in the two deep.

You are typically a pretty pessimistic poster. I am not averse to looking at the "negative" side of things along with the positive.

Honestly, I do not see many roster weaknesses with this team. That could be diminished by injury but it really shouldn't be if the development of the team is being managed well.

QB- very good and possibly great.

The back ups are Fr but on 3 occasions Fulmer started true Fr QB's. In '94, the Vols inserted Manning as a Fr after injuries to Colquitt and Helton AND a 1-3 start. He led them to a 7-1 record. They finished 2nd in the East. In 2000, Clausen started all the way (iirc) and led UT to an 8-4 record and tied for 2nd in the East at 5-3. In 04, Ainge and Schaeffer split the role as Fr leading UT to a 10-3 record and 1st in the East.

The short answer is that a Fr QB isn't a death sentence.

RB- very good at the top but little depth

WR- depth, experience, development, and talent

OL- depth, talent (overall), experience, and development. Like last year, it comes down to tackle play. UT has solid options two or 3 deep in the interior.

TE- very solid with Wolf, Ellis, and Creamer.

DE- all SEC solid and sufficiently deep

DT- normally would be a concern due to depth but IMHO McKenzie is the most college ready Fr DT I have ever seen at UT. A lot of youth but a ton (literally) of potential.

LB- good returning experience but excellent returning talent. I think you'll see McDowell emerge much the way JRM did. Weatherd's play should improve. Bynum provides a solid and steady option at MLB while younger, more talented players come along.

Secondary- deeper and more talented than any UT secondary in a very long time. Probably more than 10 years. Sutton, Moseley, Randolph, TKjr, McNeil, and Swafford are proven returning performers. There is gobs of talent behind them.

ST's- returning a solid Soph kicker. Looking for a punter but there appear to be 2 or 3 solid options.

I simply do not understand the pessimism of the "posivols" who do not see anything less than 8 wins with this roster as an underachievement. For good measure, UT returns 18 of 22 starters and about 39 of 44 in the two deep.

I tend to agree that a freshman QB isn't a death sentence, but Dobbs staying healthy will go a long way in determining if we win the east. Out of 3 four star Freshman QB's you would hope that ONE could step in and play at least somewhat effectively.

O-Line should be better by default.

Would you trade Tennessee's Wide outs for any other teams wide outs in this league? I wouldn't, particularly with the addition of Williams. He is a Julio Jones clone.

I really think that TE could be a bright spot. I have heard that Creamer could be a beast at this position.

I dare say that The Vols have All-American potential at DE this year. Don't know if there is a team in the league that can match the Vols at this position.

Gotta love the potential at DT.

If Bates can stay healthy then he could star this year for the Vols. Very smart, very athletic. He and JRM would be a devastating 1 - 2 punch. Don't forget about Weatherd here either. He can be yet another pass rushing Demon for the Vols. He is freakishly athletic.

Speed and talent to burn in the secondary. Top 2 or 3 secondary in the league if not the best.

So given all of this, Why shouldn't we expect the Vols to win alot this year?

I tend to agree that a freshman QB isn't a death sentence, but Dobbs staying healthy will go a long way in determining if we win the east. Out of 3 four star Freshman QB's you would hope that ONE could step in and play at least somewhat effectively.
Agree and with all due respect to the other two, the kid from Ca really seems like the real deal to me. He ran a similar system in HS and appeared to be able to make the throws. His accuracy was great along with his timing.
If Bates can stay healthy then he could star this year for the Vols. Very smart, very athletic. He and JRM would be a devastating 1 - 2 punch. Don't forget about Weatherd here either. He can be yet another pass rushing Demon for the Vols. He is freakishly athletic.
My "guy" right now that I believe everyone is overlooking is McDowell. His ST's play and impact last fall to me was right out of the JRM player development model. I think I would share your enthusiasm about Bates if not for his injury. His recovery should be fine but missing as much PT as he did and then the spring will probably set him back.
So given all of this, Why shouldn't we expect the Vols to win alot this year?
I'm just not sure but most of my arguments of late have been with "posivols" or ultrapro-Jones guys who bristle at any suggestion of setting a "high" expectation. I don't even think 8 games is that high for this roster and schedule- 15 years ago it would have been rightly viewed as subpar to win less than 8.

I really believe Dobbs will be in NYC for the Heisman presentation. don't know if he'll win, but he'll be a finalist. that show great I think he'll be this season.

If Dobbs doesn't improve his passing game, he won't be anywhere close to Atlanta, much less New York City.

Linebacker corps is practically overflowing with talent. JRM has starting OLB locked up. Bates has four more years of eligibility after playing really will with Special Teams last year before injury. Chris Weatherd is as fast as anyone rushing the QB. Gavin Bryant red-shirted and will hopefully be ready to take over the ILB spot. Not to mention Jakob Johnson who maybe struggled being thrown into the fire, but will eventually be better for it, and Elliott Berry, plus add in Kirkland JR. who could play a significant back-up role.. It's almost an embarrassment of riches trying to figure out who will start for us.

My expectations are the same as every year at this time . Undefeated . LOL , Pump your own brakes . Manage yourself .

The injuries are mostly the result of the transition from Adidas to the poor fitting Nike products. The new stuff should be broken in and fit better by the fall.
:rolleyes: GO BIG ORANGE :rolleyes:

Wut? Is my sarcasm meter broken or are you really serious?

a couple of corrections, since you were trying to recall..

in 2000, Casey did not play until the Alabama game. AJ Suggs was the QB up to that point. Casey had shoulder problems..

in 94, Schaeffer was hurt against South Carolina and finished for the year. Ainge was hurt against Notre Dame and finished for the year. Rick Clausen completed the season including a huge Cotton Bowl win versus A&M. This team had two 1000 yard rushers which took a lot of heat off the QBs, all 3 of them.

Somehow the O line must improve but if we get a solid LT then I think we'll be OK, not great but at least fair rather than horrid.

At least next season we might be able to get guys that can play at their natural positions instead of being forced to play spots that are totally out of position for them.

Main worry for the RB spot is a serious lack of depth and I have no idea how we can fix that serious issue quickly but at least we have 1 of the Berrys and maybe another guy on the roster that can get coached up as a RB in case of emergency.

I believe that Dobbs is working hard and he's good on short passes but we MUST be able to block to give him more time and he has to be able to hit the long passes much better.

Long ball completions are a must to stretch the field and open up our run game and shorter passing game so if we can do that then our O has the chance to improve a great deal.

I also think we'll see our TE's become greater weapons next season which can be huge and help our WR's get open more.

On the D side of the ball we're going to be really good especially if all our DB's can shut down the passing game.

I still expect at least 8 regular season Wins and more than that is icing on the cake and a good next step up the mountain to again being a top 10 team every year like we all expect.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Linebacker corps is practically overflowing with talent. JRM has starting OLB locked up. Bates has four more years of eligibility after playing really will with Special Teams last year before injury. Chris Weatherd is as fast as anyone rushing the QB. Gavin Bryant red-shirted and will hopefully be ready to take over the ILB spot. Not to mention Jakob Johnson who maybe struggled being thrown into the fire, but will eventually be better for it, and Elliott Berry, plus add in Kirkland JR. who could play a significant back-up role.. It's almost an embarrassment of riches trying to figure out who will start for us.
Don't forget McDowell.

Thanks.
a couple of corrections, since you were trying to recall..

in 2000, Casey did not play until the Alabama game. AJ Suggs was the QB up to that point. Casey had shoulder problems..
Was Suggs also a Fr or was he a Soph? In either case, he was one of the worst QB's I have ever seen start a game for UT. Great kid I'm sure but he just didn't appear to possess enough talent to start for an FCS program.

in 94, Schaeffer was hurt against South Carolina and finished for the year. Ainge was hurt against Notre Dame and finished for the year. Rick Clausen completed the season including a huge Cotton Bowl win versus A&M. This team had two 1000 yard rushers which took a lot of heat off the QBs, all 3 of them.
Again thanks. I still do not think it is a death sentence to have a starting QB and especially if you have experience around them. This year, UT's O has experience around the starter.

scary part is that this scheme is highly dependent upon Dobb's run game. No doubt he is good at it, but this style definitely puts him at far greater risk. I would like to see him bulk up a bit. Having Oline improvement and more options at RB and hopefully a full healthy stable at WR will open up some lanes for him.
None the less my heart stops every time he breaks for it!
With little experience behind him (despite the talent level) we are one rough tackle from a questionable season.
Lets pray to sweet baby Jesus we keep him healthy.

scary part is that this scheme is highly dependent upon Dobb's run game. No doubt he is good at it, but this style definitely puts him at far greater risk. I would like to see him bulk up a bit. Having Oline improvement and more options at RB and hopefully a full healthy stable at WR will open up some lanes for him.
With little experience behind him (despite the talent level) we are one rough tackle from a questionable season.

It is interesting that Dobb's "style" has developed in response to very poor protection up front. I look forward to seeing his skill set once he can be comfortable for a 3 count in the backfield.

We will see how it goes but Jones has claimed that his system does not require a running QB... just a guy mobile enough to pull it often enough to keep D's honest. I don't think we will be able to fairly assess that part until UT has adequate OL play.

VN Store

Back