ESPN: Which players have the most to prove in 2015?

TrueOrange

College football players with the most to prove in 2015, starting in the spring - ESPN

QB Josh Dobbs, Tennessee

If not for Dobbs and the run-pass option he provided for Tennessee's offense after Justin Worley was injured last season, there's no way the Vols would have made a bowl game. Fast-forward to this spring, and you're seeing Dobbs' name pop up on the periphery of some Heisman Trophy discussion. He's a brilliant kid and should handle the hype like a champ. But the big question is whether or not Dobbs can throw it consistently enough and has the kind of arm to use the entire field effectively. Making that happen is a priority for new offensive coordinator Mike DeBord. Dobbs has struggled throwing the ball against some of the better defenses he has faced. He has the smarts and the athleticism to be one of the better quarterbacks in the SEC. The next step is proving he can be a big-time passer.

Can't really disagree with any of that.

I think Dobbs has the ability to be a special QB, he just needed the time to develop! :rock:

Last edited:
The keys to offense next year are Dobbs and RBs staying healthy, Dobbs improving accuracy and OL play. We could throw the WR health in with that, but Dobbs is the key.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobbs knows what he needs to work on.I think he'll be a very good pocket passer but can take off and run if need be.Watch out SEC the Big Orange Train is coming.

Reactions: 2 people
Did ANYONE know Tee Martin was Peyton's backup let alone that he could throw the ball deep?

Dobbs showed lots of progress with the 15 bowl practices...the over the shoulder pass to Pearson was perfect. I look forward to what he can do after Spring and Fall camps along with Summer workouts and guru training.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, Josh is getting more focused, intense coaching now than he has ever gotten in his life. This is the off-season that should see the widest improvement in his passing game over the year prior. Here's hoping his refined best is awesome.

Reactions: 2 people
the D must stop them from scoring--the O must score. If they can do that odds are they go 13-0
O-line, recievers, keep saying they are good - let them prove it.

Dobbs accuracy is suspect. He's a pure zone read offense QB until he proves otherwise. Nothing wrong with that.

Josh seems to be an accurate passer when he's calm and in control and pays attention to his fundamentals.

It's when he gets excited, or frustrated, that he seems to become more erratic (witness: Mizzou and Vandy games).

Part of the focus of the coaching he's getting this spring/summer is, I'm confident, to anchor good fundamentals so deeply in his play style that he adheres to them even under extraordinary conditions.

There is reason to hope for significant improvement in his passing game this fall.

Dobbs has the intelligence and abilities to make himself as good as he wants to become.

He needs to find the problems and fix them and to consistently work so that every move he makes becomes automatic and natural on every play.

He also needs to become like Peyton and demand that every player does the same things that he does so that every player at every position works to become as consistently perfect as they can.

Coaches can only teach and train but it's the kids that must focus and execute perfectly on every play.

Proper execution is what will Win games.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

The keys to offense next year are Dobbs and RBs staying healthy, Dobbs improving accuracy and OL play. We could throw the WR health in with that, but Dobbs is the key.

Not only the WRs health, but the ability to run precise routs. I agree that Dobbs needs to become more accurate, especially on the deep throws, but I noticed that the WRs had difficulty in get open in the secondary. In my opinion progress must be mad by both the QBs and the WRs for the offense to be dominate next Fall. I think the defense will get off the field more quickly this year thereby giving the offense more opportunities to score. This could be the start of something really good.

Josh seems to be an accurate passer when he's calm and in control and pays attention to his fundamentals.

It's when he gets excited, or frustrated, that he seems to become more erratic (witness: Mizzou and Vandy games).

Part of the focus of the coaching he's getting this spring/summer is, I'm confident, to anchor good fundamentals so deeply in his play style that he adheres to them even under extraordinary conditions.

There is reason to hope for significant improvement in his passing game this fall.

Should take a lesson from Cardale Jones, he was stone faced all game and didn't let good/bad plays bother him.

DObbs really needs to work on his basic throws, but I thnk us vol fans think that WR corps has the most to prove.
Need to stay healthier and more consistent.

Dobbs completed 65% of his passes with 1 TD and 1 Int (which a drop by Malone) against Missouri last year. He wasn't the reason we lost that game.

Not only the WRs health, but the ability to run precise routs. I agree that Dobbs needs to become more accurate, especially on the deep throws, but I noticed that the WRs had difficulty in get open in the secondary. In my opinion progress must be mad by both the QBs and the WRs for the offense to be dominate next Fall. I think the defense will get off the field more quickly this year thereby giving the offense more opportunities to score. This could be the start of something really good.

You are right here. It really all comes down to how healthy North is. In the games they both played last year, Dobbs numbers were a lot better than those he missed.

Dobbs completed 65% of his passes with 1 TD and 1 Int (which a drop by Malone) against Missouri last year. He wasn't the reason we lost that game.

Hmm, 65% is certainly nothing to sneeze out. And yet he didn't seem comfortable or settled that game, to me. I'll have to go back and watch it again, try to isolate what gave me that impression. Thanks for pointing out his stats.

VN Store

Back