Intesting article on Former UT Vol DC Chavis

Sounds like if chief ain't careful he may be available for employment somewhere else soon. aTm may opt out of the contract n send him packing for breach of contract with the lawsuit. Although he's really done nothing wrong to a&m they may get pee'd and want rid of him.

Reactions: 1 person
"I think" He was comfortable with UT.... at this point its about $.

I don't blame him AT ALLLLLL!

He has done well, and I hope he continues to do well. (Monetarily but not against UT)

3rd and chavis... The good ole days. But seriously I'm happy we got janchek instead of chavis

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like if chief ain't careful he may be available for employment somewhere else soon. aTm may opt out of the contract n send him packing for breach of contract with the lawsuit. Although he's really done nothing wrong to a&m they may get pee'd and want rid of him.
They will be in a helluva mess if they do. That D is nothing short of horrible and it ain't because of talent.

3rd and chavis... The good ole days. But seriously I more happy we got janchek instead of chavis
Chavis was a Great DC for us but that damn 3rd and Chavis drove me crazy. Janchek proved is worth last season and I honestly wouldn't trade him for any other DC right now.

Reactions: 4 people

Not sure if Texas A&M could find a better, more experienced SEC DC anywhere, they need to keep him happy.

3rd and chavis... The good ole days. But seriously I more happy we got janchek instead of chavis

I agree. I like CJC but he may be the worst 3rd down DC in history. 3rd and 19, the opponent picks up 20. 3rd and 40, the opponent picks up 41. I'm glad he has never returned. JMO.

I wonder if LSU fans ever picked up on 3rd and chavis?

Sounds to me like LSU are being arsehats for no reason other then to be difficult.

About right for LSU.. I hope they all choke on Bayou water lol

Sounds to me like LSU are being arsehats for no reason other then to be difficult.

About right for LSU.. I hope they all choke on Bayou water lol

I'd love to hear a deeper description of how they are being difficult for no reason. The guy broke a contract with them, supposedly, if you assume there weren't target dates for departing in which we don't know the details. It appears he just broke a contract. Supposedly the legal filing notes he gave them 30 days notice, in which it appears he was already working for TAMU during that period. Maybe there is a stipulation he hit, but I don't see it just in the normal reporting of the situation. Then he turns around and sues TAMU saying that if he owes some money to LSU then TAMU has to pay it. Seems like if that were the case, his contract with TAMU would say that part quite clearly. Seems like he's a bad business man or delusional.

A&M's official statement:

"There is not a dispute between Coach Chavis and Texas A&M. The University stands behind its commitment to Coach Chavis to pay any buyout due to LSU. The issue is that Texas A&M disagrees with LSU that any buyout payment is actually due."

He's just covering himself in case the bill comes due and A&M doesn't reach for it...I'm more interested in the tidbit from the Rivals National show on 1180 AM...The LSU Rivals guy on with them confirmed that the Chief sucks again at recruiting. :)

I just jumped in here to say Chavis is one of the best defensive coaches in college football history. He puts fear into other teams and I have no idea why he hasn't had a shot at a head coach position other than he doesn't want it. The dude is going down in some kind of College ball hall of fame. He deserves top money.

3rd and chavis... The good ole days. But seriously I'm happy we got janchek instead of chavis

Mr Prevent is a good name for him too. that 01 Uga game still pisses me off. Never should've lost that game. Another season with great players and didn't win crap. 97,99,01 all were teams that should've won a lot more than what they did.

I just jumped in here to say Chavis is one of the best defensive coaches in college football history. He puts fear into other teams and I have no idea why he hasn't had a shot at a head coach position other than he doesn't want it. The dude is going down in some kind of College ball hall of fame. He deserves top money.

His defenses have blown too many leads on long 4th quarter drives for that kind of praise. The Georgia game in '01 was mentioned in the post above and I would also throw in Memphis in '96, Arkansas in '99, Florida in '00, Florida in '06 and LSU in '06. Also, he has never had a great reputation as a recruiter. That might not be a big deal at LSU or Texas A&M but it was for Tennessee.

Chavis was a Great DC for us but that damn 3rd and Chavis drove me crazy. Janchek proved is worth last season and I honestly wouldn't trade him for any other DC right now.

Great??? Above average at best considering the amount of talent he had throughout his stint here. Too often we gave up huge chunks of points, especially during the Manning years.

Great??? Above average at best considering the amount of talent he had throughout his stint here. Too often we gave up huge chunks of points, especially during the Manning years.

Yeah, giving up an average of 19.5 ppg is terrible over the 3 years he was coordinator while Manning was there.

1995: 20.8
1996: 15.4
1997: 22.0
1998: 14.5
1999: 16.2
2000: 20.6
2001: 19.3
2002: 17.5
2003: 18.4
2004: 22.7
2005: 18.5
2006: 19.5
2007: 27.3
2008: 16.8
Total: 19.25

Those are the average points/game for Chavis while at UT. That's not terrible. He also had 7 shutouts with 36 games holding opponents under 10 points. That's pretty damn good.

I agree. Above average with some very talented players. Chavis has been very blessed throughout his entire coaching career to have extremely talented players which made him look much better as a coach than he actually was. When the day comes that Chavis has only average players, his lack of coaching skills will be obvious.

Other than 3rd & Chavis, the thing I remember most about him is during practice he would scream "where's the 'pop'," "I didn't hear a 'pop'," and so on about a "pop." Focusing on "pops" (hitting a player) instead of tackling just drove me crazy.

VN Store

Back