ESPN Ranks SEC Defensive Lines

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Tennessee D-Line third in SEC, according to ESPN:

SEC pre-spring position rankings: Defensive line - SEC Blog - ESPN

Seems about right, the high rank is based on Maggitt and Barnett on the outside ... and the write-up acknowledges that freshmen McKenzie and Tuttle on the inside could make the unit even stronger.

As for what this list means to our offense: we play the #1 ('Bama), #4 (Florida), #6 (Mizzou), and #8 (Georgia) teams on the list ... here's hoping our O-Line is getting strong and capable.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee D-Line third in SEC, according to ESPN:

SEC pre-spring position rankings: Defensive line - SEC Blog - ESPN

Seems about right, the high rank is based on Maggitt and Barnett on the outside ... and the write-up acknowledges that freshmen McKenzie and Tuttle on the inside could make the unit even stronger.

As for what this list means to our offense: we play the #1 ('Bama), #4 (Florida), #6 (Mizzou), and #8 (Georgia) teams on the list ... here's hoping our O-Line is getting strong and capable.

The O line is my one real concern this year. If they step up it will be a special year.

Barnett and Curt are about to have themselves a whole mess of sack lunches.

The O-line will be better. The big question is how much.

They looked really good against Iowa, which was a great improvement over how they looked against the weaker ooc teams we played during the season. Unfortunately, if they do not improve from that, they will still not be good against SEC teams.

I personally think they will be better, but at this time that's all it is, is me thinking they will be. If DeBord can get our O-line in the top half of the SEC, we'll do really well and he will be my new hero.

Its normally said the 2 most important positions to have success in the SEC are QB and DL. ESPN has UT ranked 2nd and 3rd in the league at those positions. A good omen for the VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
The top 11 teams all look pretty good, really. I am really excited about what Jones is bringing to UT though.

As for the OL, the main purpose for bringing DeBord is to improve the OL, right? surely? I hope he does improve them into the top half of SEC OLs. He might.

Out of all the lists from ESPN, this one is where I hope we end up fished at #1. If you can play D and run the ball, you can win a lot of games.

They looked really good against Iowa, which was a great improvement over how they looked against the weaker ooc teams we played during the season. Unfortunately, if they do not improve from that, they will still not be good against SEC teams.

I personally think they will be better, but at this time that's all it is, is me thinking they will be. If DeBord can get our O-line in the top half of the SEC, we'll do really well and he will be my new hero.

The Big IF word, it depends on BLAIR if he is a good OT, then we will have a decent OL, because the freshmen will take time to get strong enough in this leauge to play, look at this past season.

I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic until I see our DL getting pressure up the middle on a consistent basis. Until then, #3 might be a little high. But I like our potential to improve with the new guys coming in.

The Big IF word, it depends on BLAIR if he is a good OT, then we will have a decent OL, because the freshmen will take time to get strong enough in this leauge to play, look at this past season.

Tuurrrrry, why is Terra not a UT fan? Did you not raise her right?

Jones noted, Tennessee’s defensive line — which will be bolstered in a big way with some highly touted summer enrollees from the nation’s fourth-ranked 2015 recruiting class — will be very shorthanded this spring.

“It's gonna be a challenge this spring, because we have individuals that will be rehabbing injuries, but we fully anticipate them being ready for August camp,” Jones said. “The individuals who will be missing spring football are Derek Barnett, Darrin Kirkland, Danny O'Brien Kyle Phillips. . .limit Dillon Bates, Rashaan Gaulden

Blair is the key. We did have O-line guys EE this year though right? Jack Jones and.......? Hopefully that helps some.

This OL practicing against this D, the only thing they can do is get better.imo

Kentucky has a stellar group returning, they should be primed for another great season!

commodores really killing it on these list.

What James Franklin accomplished is one of the greater unappreaciated miracles the college football world will ever see.

No one will ever accomplish what he did there in my lifetime.

Did anyone see Davis Tulls combine? Wow. His verticle, broad and 40 time were impressive.
At least the O-line doesn't have to face he or Ray.

Blair is the key. We did have O-line guys EE this year though right? Jack Jones and.......? Hopefully that helps some.

I think Chance Hall also EE'd, but may be injured? Raulerson also EE'd and RS'd last year, and Big Charles Mosley should help one line or the other, just a question of which one.

What James Franklin accomplished is one of the greater unappreaciated miracles the college football world will ever see.

No one will ever accomplish what he did there in my lifetime.

Two former Nick Saban Proteges at UT and UF really helped. Timing is everything, he would have never been able accomplish more than a 6 or 7 win season in the late 90's when UT and UF were both on top of their game.

I truly believe that with our Oline practicing against some of the best D-lineman in the nation is going to make then a Ton better this year.

With(IMHO) the O-line making a huge stride this year.(People playing natural positions and coach Debo helping them) and our D being lights out!!

That is the basis behind my feeling and prediction on a double digit win season this year.

It will be a great year to be a vol and we will finally shut up and convert some of the Negavols. CBJ is building something special and they deserve 100% from the fanbase..

100k at the O & W game and every home game needs to be a sell out, with a couple of the more special games being a checkered Neyland.

We give our players everything we have.. and they will give us everything they have..

You never know, it IS possible that we add another SEC championship. I know I will get the same'ol response from the usual people telling me I am crazy. But we will just have to see :D

I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic until I see our DL getting pressure up the middle on a consistent basis. Until then, #3 might be a little high. But I like our potential to improve with the new guys coming in.

I agree, the proof is in the pudding, but the talent level will be the best in years along the defensive front.

VN Store

Back